John Urwin-Mann 238 Sqn

spacer.png

Canadian born John Urwin-Mann joined 238 Squadron in May of 1940.  On August 21st, he shot a Ju88 for his 5th confirmed kill.  Record books have him flying serial P3930 at that time and blue 2 position.  Have chosen R as a possible individual code letter, so will look something like this:

spacer.png

Based on the few period photos of 238, it should have a blunt nose spinner, I think, maybe...

regards, 

Jack

• Like 11

• 3 months later...

Plan is/was to have this one built with the wheels up.  Some test fitting revealed the tires are a really tight fit, and decided to reposition the pneumatic tank deeper in the recess of the wheel bay.   When I popped the glued part lose, it went flying out of sight.  Simple shape, so just carved another out of some sprue - hence the green colour.   Also decided to open up the gun port holes as they seem a bit smallish.

vMs1wa0.jpg

I used brass pipes to get a clean edge around the gun ports.  An aluminum pipe was then inserted into this to simulate the blast tubes.  The diagram I found does not appear to have a single length of tube extend to very edge of the openings:

RfQ4qup.jpg

vgPXDBA.jpg

Last bit of detail here was to insert a short length of lead free wire, 0.25 inches diameter.

UZflYg4.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 2