Bf 109 E-4 **FINISHED!!!**

Hi @Torbjorn,

thanks for this other tip. The more the merrier, to be kept in mind for rainy days!

This evening I got the hell in and decided the CA had cured long enough!

So I went along with sand paper and sanding blocks.

The mast is now 98% finished. I will get back to it next week, as I know when I have tempted fate for too long.

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 28

A few finishing touches with feather light fingers, and I should be able to call it finished.

And then I can start the RLM 65.

Have fun!

JR 

Edited by jean
  • Like 4

On 8/23/2020 at 10:32 PM, nimrod54 said:

/

An excellent repair Jean. Once you have finished tickling it up and have some paint on there, you will not be able to tell that it was broken off.

Good evening John,

Thank you. I shall "tickle" the mast tomorrow, and hopefully finish it quickly. Then first coat of RLM 65.

Just came back from the big city a couple of hours ago after a seven hour drive. So no modelling tonight!

First time we have driven to Harare since February, and everything is rather surreal, for us bush bumpkins. Happy to be back where we do not have to wear a mask!

Have a great evening.

JR

Hi JR

My apologies for not keeping up to date on your 109 progress.

With your track record of parts amputation on this build, i would definitely leave the undercarriage off till the last minute.

Its going to look the business when its finished. 

cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi JR

My apologies for not keeping up to date on your 109 progress.

With your track record of parts amputation on this build, i would definitely leave the undercarriage off till the last minute.

Its going to look the business when its finished. 

cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

good to hear from you.

My predilection for amputations started at a very young age, practicing on my sister's teddy bears, as we did not have pet rabbits... Even then, beggars could not be choosers!

Believe me when I say that plastic amputations mainly stem from my inane clumsiness! The good thing is, I learn something new every time!

I am not even looking at the undercarriage!!!

Cheers mate!

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking good Jean. 

I have been building the same kit in my thread, and have nearly finished. No undercarriage for me as mine will be wheels up.

Do be careful of the exhaust stubbs. They are very tight to fit and I wish I had added mine before attaching the wings. 

Cheers Greg 😁

7 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looking good Jean. 

I have been building the same kit in my thread, and have nearly finished. No undercarriage for me as mine will be wheels up.

Do be careful of the exhaust stubbs. They are very tight to fit and I wish I had added mine before attaching the wings. 

Cheers Greg 😁

Hi Greg,

thanks for the heads up re the exhausts!

I suspect there would be problems both way, as painting them neatly when they are in place may not be straightforward.

Anyway, no panic. I will find soon enough and may need to remove the primer in the exhaust location.

Good luck with your build!

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I have finished "tickling" the aerial tail mast, I hope to the satisfaction of @nimrod54!

Given a last white primer spray, and as soon as I have glued the mass balances on the ailerons, I will start on the RLM 65.

I have just noticed that Airfix have forgotten the ailerons tabs... It is a bummer, as they are often painted red and that gives a nice little touch of color.

So I may have to try and glue the minuscule blighters!

I'll see how my mojo is...

Here is a pic of the finished tail:

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 29

Cheers

JR

• Like 7

Hi,

just for a laugh I decided to fit some trim tabs on the ailerons...

Not sure why. But it kind f worked. They just need a slight thinning and are half a mm too narrow, but I dd not think that CA glue on the masking tape was going to be helpful down the road... I should not lose any sleep about the tabs being the wrong length!

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 30

Going to try and fit the mass balances... without breaking any.

Cheers everybody.

JR

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Good work, Jean B) 

Good luck, Jean :pray:

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew,

well, amazingly enough I managed to clean and glue the mass balances without breaking anything!!!

And to show you how kind the gods were, neither the radio mast nor the pitot got damaged either...

I mustn't boast!!!

Cheers

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi all,

brush painted the first coat of RLM 65. 

Reduced the size of the tabs, and assuming I do not break the mass balances, I am happy with the progress to date.

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 31

Will work the surface with a polishing cloth and paint the second coat either tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for watching.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 6

Good day everyone,

the third coat of RLM 65 has been brush painted. Humbrol paint diluted at 20% takes on average three thin coats before becoming acceptable. The chances to break something small and thin sticking out increase exponentially after each coat... Lucky this time.

By tomorrow I should be able to start the masking for the RLM 02.

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 32

I have painted the whole fuselage and part of the upper wings.

Always exciting to put first paint to a model.

Cheers

JR

• Like 8

Hi John,

I actually like wasting time doing silly things like these trim tabs... Don't ask.

As for your 1/144 109, if the trim tabs are missing, send it straight back! Outrageous comes to mind!!!

Keep having fun and regards to Caron 

JR

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

masking is pretty much finished, trying to stick to what the very few photos of von Werra's 109 show.

Hopefully will be able to paint the RLM 02 tonight.

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 33

Things are now getting interesting, when colors start giving the model a real identity.

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 10

Hi all,

the masking is finally finished (not my favorite work) and I have brush painted the first coat of RLM 02. It feels a tad too dark, so I will have to tweak it accordingly for the next coat.

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 34

All is well... I hope so.

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 8

Hi Jean,

Your 109 is coming along nicely, I find RLM02 a bit of a tricky colour to work with and, like you, often think it looks too dark until the contrasting green colour goes on. I also feel that things are not helped by the plethora of 02 shades used in profiles which can range from a grey/brown to light olive. In the end it's probably best to go with what looks right to you.

You will be pleased to hear that my 1/144 kit does indeed have aileron and elevator trim tabs moulded on, so for that reason I have decided that is worth keeping. Should there still be enough time left when I have finished the Hurricane and Ju88, then I might put one of them together for this group build.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Hi Jean,

Your 109 is coming along nicely, I find RLM02 a bit of a tricky colour to work with and, like you, often think it looks too dark until the contrasting green colour goes on. I also feel that things are not helped by the plethora of 02 shades used in profiles which can range from a grey/brown to light olive. In the end it's probably best to go with what looks right to you.

You will be pleased to hear that my 1/144 kit does indeed have aileron and elevator trim tabs moulded on, so for that reason I have decided that is worth keeping. Should there still be enough time left when I have finished the Hurricane and Ju88, then I might put one of them together for this group build.

Hi John,

thanks for your support. I'd rather not talk about RLM 02, as if there is one paint color that drives me bonkers, that's the one! Seriously, who would get excited about a paint last used 75 years ago!

As a result, I have to wait until tomorrow for the second coat, as I do not trust the electric light to get a mix I am happy with. Ridiculous!

Re the 1/144 kit, dare I say I am impressed when you mention trim tabs are present! Just make sure to check the German spelling on the decal you have to glue on said tabs! Spelling mistakes look shoddy, even under an electronic microscope!

Good luck with your Hurri and Ju 88!

JR

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

A late catch up with your build Jean, but good to see as I have the same kit waiting to be built. Looks great and best wishes for the rest.

Thanks Charlie,

this kit is fun, really. The only problem is the thickness of the sprue gates, that make the removal of the tiny parts a rather stressful chore. But otherwise, it is a perfect kit!

JR

• Like 4

Hi all,

well just finished the second coat of diluted RLM 02. I will give it a third and last coat in order to tweak the color a little bit more, but I am quite happy as it is. and maybe I should just call it a day. But...

Next the RLM 71.

These splinter camos are a bit if an ink bottle.

Here is a photo of von Werra's 109 after it was dismantled:

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 35

Behind the fuselage is a section of the right wing upper side. Not only is the contrast between RLM 02 and 71 fairly weak, but it is clear the splinter camo is not that splinterish. It has clearly been painted freehand according to a scheme that is noticeably different from what the Airfix instructions give us.

Quite a few 109s were painted like that and all the contours on the wings are fairly wavy and the demarcation between the RLM 02 and RLM 71 only roughly follows the usual scheme.

Just to confuses matters.

So I will paint the RLM 71 according to that pattern.

You will find some stones to cast at the back of the room.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 8

Hi everyone,

the 109 is slowly moving on.

Finished the painting.

I am left with all the tidying up to do, quite a bit of it, and then the gloss coat.

Here is a photo of the beast:

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 36

The camo pattern is not the one we are all used to during the BoB. But photos indicate that von Werra's 109 was carrying this scheme.

It makes for a nice change to the straight line splinter camo.

I am proud to say that I managed to break both mass balances while I was removing the masking tape... Managed to find them, against all odds.

They will only be fixed back when all else has been done, not a second before.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 8