Bf 109 E-4 **FINISHED!!!**

Hi,

finished all the paint touch ups and brush painted a first coat of Gloss Cote.

One more coat this evening and tomorrow I should be good for the decals.

Here is a shot of the shiny 109.

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 37

The red tinge on the left flap is not strawberry jam from my sticky fingers, but some weird play of the light... I have double checked, as my heart missed a beat, but the flap is indeed a good RLM 71! Pheew...

Cheers everybody.

JR

• Like 7

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi,

finished all the paint touch ups and brush painted a first coat of Gloss Cote.

One more coat this evening and tomorrow I should be good for the decals.

Here is a shot of the shiny 109.

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 37

The red tinge on the left flap is not strawberry jam from my sticky fingers, but some weird play of the light... I have double checked, as my heart missed a beat, but the flap is indeed a good RLM 71! Pheew...

Cheers everybody.

JR

Hi Jean,

Looking good - I also have had the reflection problem on glossy surfaces quite a bit recently when photographing under artificial light indoors. It can as you say be quite disconcerting! It was particularly problematic on my B-57 as I used Xtracolour gloss paint.

Cheers

Pete

36 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Jean,

Looking good - I also have had the reflection problem on glossy surfaces quite a bit recently when photographing under artificial light indoors. It can as you say be quite disconcerting! It was particularly problematic on my B-57 as I used Xtracolour gloss paint.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

yes, I suppose we live and we learn! First time I have had this reflection problem. In the "old days" I never bothered with gloss varnish before decals. My old models do indeed look the worst for wear because of it.

So we adapt, or try to. Painting with gloss paint can be quite tricky, so I try to avoid it.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 1

Hi all,

I started playing with the decals, using a mix of kit decals and crosses/svastikas from Xtradecal.

Indeed the most pleasant part of a build.

Anyway, still quite a bit to go, but this 109 is slowly gaining an identity.

Have fun.

JR

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 38

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

the 109 has progressed, albeit slower due to Life interfering... Well known story to all of us,

Anyway, the decals are all done, and if it were not for me messing up the tip of the starboard wing (which I have to re-paint now), the model would be nearing completion.

It has been mat varnished, with the exception of the right wing. So by tomorrow all shall be in order.

I removed the canopy masks and some white primer can be seen in places, so a few touch ups are in the pipeline.

Busy fitting the break lines on the undercarriage legs: on a 109, one has to follow a rather strict plan. No fantasy allowed, hence more time consuming...

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 40

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 39

All in all, I am happy with it.

Cheers.

JR

PS: Apologies for the rubbish quality of the photos! Better next time.

Edited by jean
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I've used worse pictures myself Jean :D What's wrong with the starboard wing? It looks fine to me...

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew,

the starboard wing is mostly fine, that is the topside green camo is OK. Pheeew!

You may call that impatience, but I call it stupidity. I brushed the mat varnish when the Humbrol Gloss Cote was not 100% dry everywhere. No problem with the mat varnish thankfully.

To put you in the picture, we live in the middle of the bush, and do not have glass on our windows (mosquito gauze only). being the dry season the outside bush is a dust bowl and it has been windy.... Modelling in a dusty place can be a challenge. So I put on a latex glove unaware that there was dust on it... End result: the starboard white wing tip and a little bit of the blue underside got full of grime, embedded in the gloss.... Did you just say stupid?

As water was not removing it, I decided to try alcohol... More stupidity! The alcohol turned the by now dry gloss cote into a gooey mess... No comment!

So I waited for it to dry nicely, and sand papered the mess. Now just have to re-paint a blue patch, wrap the model in diapers and re-spray the white.

If, for once, I use my brain, what could go wrong?

You asked for it! This is the long and sad story of my modelling life at the mo...

Have fun!

JR

• Like 2

Hi Stew,

thank you so much for your birthday wishes!!!

Yes, had a super day that started at 03:45 this morning to go and look at hyenas with a friend that is studying and filming them. Absolutely freezing in sleeveless shirt, thanks to an unexpected weather change. But fantastic! 

So yes, a great, original birthday.

Take care

JR

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

the Airfix Me Bf 109 E-4 is at long last FINISHED!!!

I should have posted it into the gallery almost 2 weeks ago, but some Gremlins refused for the kit to be finished.

Never seen that before: breakage upon breakage, paint marks, rubbish work on the aerial wire and last, adding a coat of Tamiya white acrylic onto the stained rudder: not thinking and diluting the paint with alcohol... and painting the rudder that had been varnished with an acrylic mat varnish... Imagine the result...

I like the final result and I will only breathe when the model has been placed in its case.

This is why there will not be any photos today!!! I need to take them outside (big lens being the reason) and there is a wind strong enough to dehorn cattle!

So I know the Gremlins would be waiting!!!! I took some photos of the kit  I am building for the Heller GB, and the bits and pieces flew away several times.... Scary thoughts with a finished model.

So photo session tomorrow morning, without any wind.

Apologies for the no photos, but just n case I get run over by a bus tonight, you'll know I finished my model!!!

Have fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 3

• jean changed the title to Bf 109 E-4 **FINISHED!!!**

Hi everyone,

I finally managed to take some photos this morning.

Although the wind was very moderate, the Gremlins tried their best: As soon as the photos were done, and as I was going to take the model away, a sudden gust of wind threw the 109 in the air and it "landed" upside down on the lawn, 60 cm below the wall where it was....

And the model was lucky: only the pitot and a mass balance got snapped... The mast and the aerial have not suffered.

So it should be a very quick job to re-glue the damage and consign the model to its case, next to the BoB Stuka.

Here are the photos:

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 41

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 42

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 43

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 44

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 45

Here you are. A most enjoyable kit to build, and if it had not been for the frequent Gremlins' interventions, it would have been perfect.

I still have two more in the stash and I now know the pitfalls to avoid.

Just realized looking at the photos that I must trim the aerial wire a bit more... 

Thanks for watching. And this GB was fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 6

That looks brilliant Jean, it will look great alongside the Stuka. Sorry to read that the Gremlins almost thwarted your efforts, but it sounds as though the damage is light and easily repaired. Black Beauty almost thwarted my Ju 88 attempt this morning, let's just say that there was a very waggy-tail involved, leading to some nimble reactions to save the day. :D

Cheers

John

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

That looks brilliant Jean, it will look great alongside the Stuka. Sorry to read that the Gremlins almost thwarted your efforts, but it sounds as though the damage is light and easily repaired. Black Beauty almost thwarted my Ju 88 attemptno models this morning, let's just say that there was a very waggy-tail involved, leading to some nimble reactions to save the day. :D

Cheers

John

I knew there was a good reason why people cut the dogs' tails in the old days!!!! 

To make you feel better, an hour ago, Steve, the three year old "baby" hippo (close to 1 ton baby...) tap danced on the septic tank and broke one half of the covering slab... Thankfully no models were having their photo taken! So a wagging tail cocker is not so bad after all!

Thanks for your comments on the 109.

Give my regards to Carron and the Black Beauty.

JR

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, jean said:

I knew there was a good reason why people cut the dogs' tails in the old days!!!! 

To make you feel better, an hour ago, Steve, the three year old "baby" hippo (close to 1 ton baby...) tap danced on the septic tank and broke one half of the covering slab... Thankfully no models were having their photo taken! So a wagging tail cocker is not so bad after all!

Thanks for your comments on the 109.

Give my regards to Carron and the Black Beauty.

JR

Ooops! I guess having wild animals close by can have its drawbacks, and I for one wouldn't want to be playing fetch with Steve. 🦛 :D I should really have another check to see what is going on at Turgwe. 

Well back to the 88 for me now. I am on the home stretch, so I hope to have it done today.

John

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nimrod54 said:

Ooops! I guess having wild animals close by can have its drawbacks, and I for one wouldn't want to be playing fetch with Steve. 🦛 :D I should really have another check to see what is going on at Turgwe. 

Well back to the 88 for me now. I am on the home stretch, so I hope to have it done today.

John

Hi John,

good luck for the final sprint!!!!!

JR

• Thanks 1