Bf 109 E-4 **FINISHED!!!**

Hi all,

I would like to enter this GB with the 1/72 Airfix Me Bf 109 E-4.

I started this kit a couple of years ago, and only built about 20 % max of it. I will take a couple of photos of the plastic in a day or two, and leave the final decision to our learned and esteemed leaders!!!

Here is a photo of the box:

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 6

As usual, I shall be boring, and build the box scheme. Not my fault if I like it!

But before I start, I have to finish my Stuka who is in the last throws before completion. In addition I owe it to @JOCKNEY to finish the MS 406, that is over 90% finished.

So the 109 is likely to be built along the Huey I am working on, in the Helicopter GB!!! 

I love kidding myself that all these kits will be built within the allocated time frame!

Photos soon.

Cheers

JR

• Like 13

Hi guys,

just a few photos showing the state of the build, for our dearest management's decision as to whether this kit will qualify for the GB.

Bf 109 E 2

Bf 109 E 3

Bf 109 E 4

Bf 109 E 1

Bf 109 E 5

So here is the damage done to date to an otherwise very nice kit.

Cheers

JR

• Like 12

Hi,

while looking for the last after market bit I need for my Stuka, I have splashed some paint on the cockpit and finished the paint scheme of the prop and spinner.

Next, all the small cockpit details to paint... Fun!

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 7

A great little kit.

JR

• Like 13

Hi guys,

while looking for A.M. thingies for my Stuka build, I did find the following goodies.

In the great scheme of things, this is a useless post as I never intended using them on this build. But I will show them anyway, as it is Sunday evening and you are bored to tears after modelling all weekend!!!

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 8

A bit late for the cockpit, but the Yahu IP is tempting... Plus I know I have some SAC guns as well somewhere.

I must not be tempted...

Keep having fun.

JR

• Like 4

Nicely done. What colour have you went for on the spinner? I have seen green and also red with the white and as a 3rd spanner in the works I have read that in the crash report it was black and white?!

That IP does look great 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Nicely done. What colour have you went for on the spinner? I have seen green and also red with the white and as a 3rd spanner in the works I have read that in the crash report it was black and white?!

That IP does look great 

Hi Valkyrie,

re the spinner, I have painted it black and white, like on all the other 109s of this Staffel at that time, with a spinner base plate in RLM70 Schwartzgrun (sorry, no Umlaut on my keyboard!)

Re the IP, I may keep it for my next 109 that I want to build with an open cockpit. But these Yahu IPs always look splendid.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

well, my Stuka being finished, I can bring back the 109 to the front of the stage, along with the Huey (and the MS 406 that is so close to the finish line!)

Once this decision had been made, I checked my RLM paints and discovered with horror that my tin of Xtracolor RLM 02 had turned into a sticky mess... What little is left in it may be used on small parts with a good dilution, but definitely not on the airframe. Damn!

Anyway, I am going to carry on with the 109. When I reach the painting stage I will attempt to mix a RLM 02 I am happy with by using a very old tinlet of Humbrol Authentic colors RLM 02. This paint is so far off the true color, that it is scary! It is almost black green! I will have to find a good mix ratio with white and yellow in order to get close to what I see as RLM02...

I am not panicking just yet. I am sure I'll get something decent (positive thinking....)

Cheers all.

JR

• Like 6

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have just resumed the 109 build, as I need a break from the rather stressful Huey.

Nothing earth-shattering: only finalizing the cockpit, one step at a time. Because of the artificial light, the RLM 02 looks a lot darker than what it really is.

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 9

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 10

Next step is to finish painting the cockpit sides. Then the airframe will be close to being put together and buttoned up, as all the various items are ready.

Cheers

JR

• Like 7

Hi all,

the build is still on schedule.

Painted all the cockpit walls, etc , then clear varnish, a very light wash and some highlights + mat varnish!

Everything ready to be glued together! 

And once more I was right: once the fuselage is buttoned up, 90% of this work will be invisible. Once the canopy is glued on top of the whole lot....

So why did I carry on ? Good question for which I have no sensible answer.

Anyway, here are a few photos:

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 12

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 13

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 11

So there you have it. Time wasted, but I am happy with that!

Thanks for watching.

Keep having fun!

JR

• Like 9

OK, Started gluing the cockpit into a half fuselage.

So things are underway, as they should.

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 14

Cheers.

JR

• Like 7

Good evening everyone,

just a quick photo before turning our generator off for the night.

Both half fuselages have been glued together and the top and lower cowlings have been added.

Once the seams have been sorted out, the wings will follow and then this model will start looking like an Emil!

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 15

Thanks for looking.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 6

Hi guys and girls,

after painting in brown the leather protections on the flanks of the undercarriage bays, I decided it was time to glue the wings that had been put aside, ready to use.

So this little kit is, at long last, looking pretty much like a 109.

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 16

Once the horizontal tail surfaces have been glued and the seams taken care of, it will be time for some primer. 

I am a bit worried about the horizontal tail surface supports, which seem to break more often than not, when removing them from the sprue... 

A sharp blade should help... Deep breath.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

JR

• Like 6

Methinks it is time for some small sprue cutters, the one-sided ones.

Not the (overpriced) Tamiya ones, but there are several Mr.Tool Trumpy clones available that work just as well. 

Really saves major headaches with cutting small parts. Just hold the part instead to prevent it pinging off into the wild blue yonder!

• Thanks 1

Hi @alt-92 and @Jabba

thanks for your advice.

To be honest, a sprue cutter is a tool I have wanted to buy for a long time and never managed to get... The Gods' message is clear: "Stay away from sharp thingies!".

So when the sprue gates are too big or the parts fragile-looking, I use any of the following: a PE saw, a pair of scissors, a large nail clipper...

Sometime I am too impatient and I start with a not too sharp blade.... that's mostly when disaster strikes.

Anyway, procrastination will come and bite me in the posterior one of these days.

So note to self: Order a sprue cutter and make an offer to the Gods.

Cheers guys.

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Methinks it is time for some small sprue cutters, the one-sided ones.

👍 Exactly! With regard to the brand, I am biased. I paid the money for Tamiya eons ago and consider it one of the best investments I've made.

On Trumpeter, I bought a Trumpeter panel line scriber must be at least 10 plus years ago. Brilliant, still going strong. Thought I'd invest in a new one. Exactly the same model. It's rubbish. Relegated to bulk styrene cutting. Still using the old one for scribing.

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

Or a small razor saw perhaps.

👍 Exactly! Small razor saw remove from the sprue and high quality sprue cutters to remove the nib if required.

Hi everyone,

I took a deep breath and managed to cut the horizontal stabilizers' supports off the sprue without any breakage and glue them in one piece and pretty much at the right angle!

So all in all yesterday evening was a good modelling session.

Next the seams, the cockpit and then primer time...

Bf 109 E-4 Photo 17

Edited by jean
  • Like 7