The Hardest Day - August 18th part 1 - Dogfight Double 64sqn Spitfire (Sqn Ldr Macdonnell) vs 1/Jg26 BF110 (Proske)

Hi Ralph,

I will see what I can find, meanwhile you wonder if the centre triangle section walls were there in 1940. Not sure anyone has wondered that, so well done for asking it, however looking at what images I have of them in 1940, I firstly look at the best scan I have, from the internet, of the raid photo, its a bit pixelated, I can see the upperwing crosses on the high flying dornier below the camera aircraft, however the outer arms are evident but the centre hasnt the same, if any, feature ! In fact I firstly was saying wow nothing there. Then for one E pen I say that for, in the strafing shot I see it has something in the middle, so maybe thin in plan view this not showing up much if at all.  I think I might be seeing a single brick structure then which would explain that,  I need to look at proper b/w prints large size of these.

I am now focused on this, as I had assumed the staggered walk through end to these middle arms and their triangle section was dating back to when first built !  I will make enquiries ! The strafed Spitfire in the untouched non propaganda photo has a mid wall going all the way to the gutter, suggesting a thin brick structure.

Merlin

A bit of progress on the BF110.... aerials added (including scratch built aerials under the fuselage and an initial coat of RLM65 on. Gunsight and rear gun to do and I can get the canopy on and move on to painting proper. The Spitfire is just about done, but I'll hold off posting pics until the 110 is done.

IMG_20200830_214115

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ralph,

emailed you today, to mark the 80th Anniversary of Battle of Britain day,  the Kenley E pen plans 1/72 and photos plus 3D views, enough I hope to see what one should be making to replicate an actual pen.

Happy Modelling 😀

IMPORTANT UPDATE...I have discovered that the Memorial Pen has for some reason been given DIFFERENT arm end walls to those on all the other pens. As you will see from photos of pen wall in bushes and pen in Hayes Lane, they are about 4ft wide at top whilst the memorial pen has almost twice the width at top, 7ft 4inch plays 4ft 0.6inch. Massive mistake by someone. the slopes are consequently too steep and the wall base also wider. As the mortar used by the restorers is already crumbling and bricks falling out I hope that sees them rebuilt the same shape as the originals ! A better and accurate job on the 2nd attempt ! Other photos not sent of other pens with original walls still existing, before the new council leader had them all demolished, also show the 4ft tops.

Merlin

Edited by Merlin
important discovery memorial pen walls

• 1 month later...

Wow - doesn't the time fly? Had to push hard to get my spitfire and BF110 over the line... a bunch of extra work in progress and finished items! Off to the gallery! Top group build - thoroughly enjoyed it, and have several projects ready for the 85th anniversary!

IMG_20201012_190334 20201030_161149 20201030_161159 20201030_161210 20201031_172007 20201031_171428 20201031_171514 20201031_171616

• Like 3