The Hardest Day - August 18th part 1 - Dogfight Double 64sqn Spitfire (Sqn Ldr Macdonnell) vs 1/Jg26 BF110 (Proske)

Alfred Price, 'The Hardest Day'

On Sunday 18th August 1940, the Luftwaffe launched three major air assaults against targets in southern England. In the course of these and numerous smaller actions 100 German and 136 British aircraft were damaged in the air or on the ground. On no other day during the Battle of Britain would either side suffer a greater number of aircraft put out of action. This book describes the events of that 24 hour period - Battle of Britain: the Hardest Day.'

So begins the preamble to probably my favourite BoB history book. Having participated the 70th and 75th BoB GBs, this 80th GB is something I have been looking forward to for a long time. most especially since there is just one of the Few remaining - and the next time do this (85th Anniversary GB anyone?) this crucial moment in time will have slipped out of living memory, at least for those who flew in it.

The Hardest Day has always piqued my interest as a singular day in the whole BoB story, and my contribution to this GB will reflect this. All of the aircraft I intend to build will be planes and pilots that I can pin down to specific actions or kills made on this day. On the build list (1/72, although 1/48 might make an appearance) includes candidates such as Herhard Schopfel's 109 and one of the 501 sqn Hurricanes he shotdown in quick succession - probably as a dogfight double using the Airfix stand; a pair of 234 sqn Spitfires (Doe and Hughes) that I am aiming to do in an Amera vacform E shaped blast pen with CMK figures and Flightpath trolley accs; Gray's 54sqn  Spitfire with the Rotol prop, 615 sqn fabric winged Hurricane, Leigh's red prop Spitfire from 66 sqn. I've got my eye on a Blenheim MK1 that apparently made the first kill of the day, but I've still got to confirm that. In short, an ambitious list, and I probably won't make it; it seems that you can have a few builds on the same thread which will keep things tidy - at least from my point of view! If I've got that wrong, let me know!

Anyway, mucho looking forward to this GB!

Ralph

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 15

I too have this book and it's been very well used over the years, including for identifying modelling projects!  Good luck with your builds!

Matt

Right, first plastic cut. I am doing the 'planes from a dogfight between Sqn Ldr Macdonnell of 64 sqn and the Bf110 that he shot down on the 18th as flown by Gruppenadjutant Proske of 1/ZG26. This Bf110 made it as far as Kent before the engines gave out, and came down in a field. 

I am going to use the new(ish) 1/72 Airfix Spitfire for Macdonnell's plane. I finally came across some info as to which Spitfire he flew on that day; Fundekal's research for their 1/48 sheet (check their website for the PDF download) indicates it was probably  SH*D, with (helpfully) pictures of the real thing. They have it marked as circa the 15th; he flew (and baled out) of SH *K on the 16th August, so am going to go with him flying 'his' plane on the 18th. I will use kit decals and cannibalise a DK decals sheet for the codes.

For the opposition, I am using Eduard's Bf110 with Techmod decals for Proske's 'plane. 

Both are going to get Eduard masks. First pics...

IMG_20200712_202022

IMG_20200718_204636 IMG_20200718_204515 IMG_20200718_204615

I've made a start on the Spitfire. It's a simple kit, and I have built a few...I've added seat armour from plasticard, and replaced the roll bar (?) with some plastic strip that looks a little more in scale.

IMG_20200718_204503 IMG_20200718_204733

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 9

Hi Ralph,

According to 64 Sqn's Operations Record Book, Sqn Ldr McDonnell was flying R6623 on this engagement.  This was a different aircraft to the one he flew on 15th - on that date he flew X4067 (four times).  He also flew P9554 (SH-K) on 16th twice, landing it slightly damaged once and having to bail out of it the second time.

There's no mention of the squadron code for R6623 though unfortunately, and this aircraft's entry on the All Spitfire Pilots site doesn't contain the codes.  I hope this helps, I suspect not......

Nice start though!

Matt

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MattG said:

Hi Ralph,

According to 64 Sqn's Operations Record Book, Sqn Ldr McDonnell was flying R6623 on this engagement.  This was a different aircraft to the one he flew on 15th - on that date he flew X4067 (four times).  He also flew P9554 (SH-K) on 16th twice, landing it slightly damaged once and having to bail out of it the second time.

There's no mention of the squadron code for R6623 though unfortunately, and this aircraft's entry on the All Spitfire Pilots site doesn't contain the codes.  I hope this helps, I suspect not......

Nice start though!

Matt

Thanks for the info - I think!;) It's typical of the subject matter that there is always the detail that doesn't quite let you do what you had in mind! On the other hand, there isn't quite all the detail you need! A faint hope - and not having access to the 64 ORB - is there any codes that it could be? I'll settle for an educated guess at this point in time!

Ralph

47 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Thanks for the info - I think!;) It's typical of the subject matter that there is always the detail that doesn't quite let you do what you had in mind! On the other hand, there isn't quite all the detail you need! A faint hope - and not having access to the 64 ORB - is there any codes that it could be? I'll settle for an educated guess at this point in time!

Ralph

Actually - think I have a get-out clause! The pictures of SH*D on the Fundekals website show the serial painted out as was common with many 64sqn Spitfires at the time. As they say, they can't necessarily say for definite what serial or indeed pilot ties up to SH*D - this is speculation on their part. However, have been doing some Youtubing and have found a Pathe type film that centres on 64sqn Battle of Britain Spitfires, with MacDonnell getting out of SH*D - I don't know if its the same as the one they refer to.That would tend to tie it up with him at least. Fundekals have R6623 as being SH*Q (typically with non-standard roundels that I can't replicate), but again this plane has the serials painted out, and again they point out it's largely speculation on their part. So... in as much as it can't be disproved one way or the other, R6623 is going to  be SH*D for the purposes of this project!

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Actually - think I have a get-out clause! The pictures of SH*D on the Fundekals website show the serial painted out as was common with many 64sqn Spitfires at the time. As they say, they can't necessarily say for definite what serial or indeed pilot ties up to SH*D - this is speculation on their part. However, have been doing some Youtubing and have found a Pathe type film that centres on 64sqn Battle of Britain Spitfires, with MacDonnell getting out of SH*D - I don't know if its the same as the one they refer to.That would tend to tie it up with him at least. Fundekals have R6623 as being SH*Q (typically with non-standard roundels that I can't replicate), but again this plane has the serials painted out, and again they point out it's largely speculation on their part. So... in as much as it can't be disproved one way or the other, R6623 is going to  be SH*D for the purposes of this project!

From a brief look there are lots of unknown codes in 64 Sqn, and as you say a lot of the time serials were overpainted, so why not ... go for it!  

Matt

Right, a quick update... I've painted the cockpit using xtracrylix and tamiya paints, with some Yahu etched belts- these are new for me, and quietly pleased with how they've come out...not that you'll be able to see much with the canopy on... anyway! I also added a clear reflector gunsight out of clear plastic sheet from some bubble packaging, and spray painted the yellow tips of the prop. FInally, I've replaced the mirror on the canopy with the unique (as far as Fundekals has it) mirror arrangement noted on 64 sqn spitfires. I've also used AK paints (gun metal and burnt iron to do the exhausts. Enjoying this, and need to make a start on the BF110 opposition. Have got other 18th August projects to get going, so need to motor on with this!

IMG_20200723_192924

IMG_20200723_193046 IMG_20200723_192844 IMG_20200723_200707

• Like 11

Ok... a little more progress on the spitfire at least. All closed up, and sat on the Amera blast pen I am going to build to represent those found at RAF Kenley - home of 64 sqn on the 18th. I've since masked and primed it, so on with the camo tomorrow!

IMG_20200727_191409

• Like 11

Right, the Spitfire is moving along. I've sprayed up the red dope gun patches (mix of Tamiya red and Tamiya red-brown) and replaced the radio mast with Quickboost replacement which was much finer and in scale. I've since sprayed the prop Nato Black, and next step will be the camo.

IMG_20200801_223654

In the meantime, I've made a start on the BF110. Compared to its 1/48 brother it is a very well engineered kit. I've made a start on the cockpit and wings, and put it together temporarily to see how it would fit - which it does, very well. The cockpit is currently drying from a coat of RLM02.

IMG_20200801_223718

• Like 5

Ok, beginning to pick up the thread after being away for a few days. Here is the Spitfire with a coat of Xtracrylix Dark Earth - still my favourite paint for this colour. It's since had the green camo applied, and is currently drying with a Windsor and Galleria gloss coat.

IMG_20200810_135018

I've also finished the 110's cockpit. I don't normally do too much on cockpits, but the Eduard cockpit was well detailed and crucially easy to put together. The kit came with Eduard's fabric seat belts which are great. The fuselage is now together, as are the wings. More tomorrow!

IMG_20200810_135058

• Like 8

Getting there! Green camo on, and gloss coat dried. I've gone with very light weathering, with some NATO black being gently airbrushed for a little exhaust and gun staining. Decals tomorrow!

IMG_20200811_210203

• Like 6

Hi,

Nice idea, I am still researching Dorniers interiors to do the Kenley raid.

Best to say the E pen is sort of representative as its size and design differs from the actual E pens, e.g. needs the entrance into the air raid shelter or through to rear, and between middle arms. Triangular flat top brick end walls to all three arms for Kenley. Demolished by the Council in the 80s (official vandals).

The bricks for such differed , using local brick companies.

Note Luftwaffe splinter camo was soft edged and not dead straight, so avoid the masking tape ! about 1inch overspray full size.

RAF was hard edged.

There are few accurate Luft paints out there much, many are miles out, having painted them all out. (not done Alclad and Hataka yet) Sovereign ARE, Jamie says, as they are matched to the Merrick/Kiroff accurate charts, created from original paint formulas, they (M/K)  went all the way on this. Testing 70 71 65 02 match bang on, and at last a 65 as it was, not turquoise green. Undersides received a coating that might account for a slight hue difference but not some of the 65 attempts by manufacturers I have seen !

Sky by the way, I had to custom mix, but see the thread on sky.

Valejo have a perfect match to Dk Green and Dk Earth

893 for Dk Green, also Humbrol acrylic 116.

873 for Dk Earth

There has never ever been a national TV prog on the Hardest Day, yet if they were to read Alfred Price's book it would make for an excellent program., recreating the routes taken, the 9 Do17Z's low flight and the raid on Kenley, bomnbs bouncing down runway, machine gunning E pens, rockets going up, Do17 coming down , bofors banging away, far better than the usual TV prog dribble. Trouble is the Media dont even know of it, they dont go around reading BoB books.

Lockdown has killed the 80th anniversary celebrations and events inc Kenley's.

I would like to drop a bomb on a certain wet market !

Merlin

Edited by Merlin

Thanks for the info on the blast pens-I had a look through images of Kenleys blast pens online and I've found pictures of both the type you have described and the slope ended version Amera have produced, and the entrances seem to match up as well. The best pic i could find showing this was on a gliding club website at Kenley so hopefully all good! Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Kenley in 1940 had the brick ends to ALL of their E pens. Each of the three arms had brick ends.

The local council removed them on those on land they owned in the 80's, I was there when the workmen were doing so, deeply shocked and saddened, angry and spitting venom !, the workmen also said we feel this is very wrong.

There has been a change of leadership and the new guy says these have to go, they might fall on someone, Idiot leader all it needed was repointing. The site is of national if not worldwide significance, and some pin stripe suit wallah does that.

Those the other side of Hayes lane, and the one on private land, 2nd one in from Hayes lane north end counting clockwise , its end walls lie inches beyond the councils fence, so they survive. He couldnt touch them although probably wishing he could.

If you want photos of the original end walls PM me, I also have measurements buried here somewhere, being the Kenley historian when no one else cared.

Merlin

• Like 1

Hmm, sounds as though some plastic card is in my future! Shouldn't be too taxing to saw off the ends and fabricate some appropriate triangular ends - if you do have some dimensions that would be handy! I have found the Kenkey revival website that has a lot of drawings so that should be helpful as well. While I think on, would I need to modify the end of the centre wall to run to the rear wall for the 18th August 1940? There's that brick faced cut out and path way between the centre walk and the rear wall of the blast pen, but i am not sure if that is a modification subsequent to mid 1940. Cheers for the info by the by!

On 17/08/2020 at 22:20, Merlin said:

Valejo have a perfect match to Dk Green and Dk Earth

893 for Dk Green, also Humbrol acrylic 116.

873 for Dk Earth

They two above are Model Color, so are 70. start numbers.

70.873 is too red,  70.921 is better

I found 70.893 a bit to light and blue.

see here for photos of brush out over paint chips.  

There are more listed in the thread as well.

HTH

reply to Ralph on page 2.

Hi Troy,

I know at the time I had tried all the labelled Dk Green and Dk earth colours and nothing matched, then I found Valejo with no time left to look further, but I do recall thinking blimey a match !

This was with using NORTHLIGHT, midday, and a neutral grey card with windows cut in it 1" squareish, without one of those colour matching cannot be done.

Were your photos taken in daylight northlight midday ?

Furthermore its tricky to get a pure colour area, brushmarks and darker streaks they give, and different sheens (unless good old authentics) are not the best for colour assessing.

I nice signwriters rigor brush, thinned paint and several layers with dry time between works wonders. Even then some paints are just sods, like sticky treacle, non blending. Now using Mr Colour levelling thinner as it melts the brush strokes together better.

I will however spray out 70.921 and 70.873 and 70.893 and report back on exactly what they look like compared using the method described, as it must be that and nothing else. cameras cannot capture colour perfectly, and never use sRGB profile as its gamut for greens is bad, AdobeRGB1998 has a greater gamut for greens, even then it doesnt encompass all colours. My dslr is set to Adobe RGB1998 as is the scanner and the calibrated monitor. 180 lumens is best for reality, 80 for standard viewing, saves burning it out ! Report backl to both threads but the linked thread is truly the place for this.

Merlin

Edited by Merlin