Model Shops UK

binbrook87

11 hours ago, Mike N said:

Not exclusively a model shop, but a quick shout out for Beachcomber in Filey on the Yorkshire coast.

Thanks for the head up, going to be up there in a couple of weeks. it would be rude not to!

• Like 1

Another one calling it a day sadly,

Update from Whitchurch Models webpage:

'After 21 years of trade Whitchurch Models is calling it a day and closing down on Saturday 29th May 2021, thank you to all our Customers out there for your custom over the years it is much appreciated.'

• Sad 1

Just a quick thanks to @Pete F @fatfingers @PhoenixII @bentwaters81tfw for the recommendations.👍👏

P&S  Hobbies and Monk Bar Model shop in York were both excellent.

Mighty Lancer in Bridlington was also very good. There is another one called Croppers but as it shuts at 4 I missed it so can't say if good or not. (Window display not very appealing to be honest, maybe much better inside.)

Eden Camp and Yorkshire Air Museum both very good. Neither too big but enough to see.

I couldn't find Craven's Motorcycle Museum as it isn't at all signposted or clear where it is, which was a shame. (It turned out it is only open on certain days so that explains it.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

There is another one called Croppers

Croppers is a real shadow of its former self. When i was last in a few weeks back i couldn't help but get the feeling it was being wound down? 🤔 Not a great deal to be had on the shelves.

The shop used to be in the main town years back and was a real Aladdin's cave of kits and bits that were stacked ceiling high! 

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

That kinda makes sense. A few sunbleached kits in the window and it wasn't overly tempting. Shame really but you are quite well looked after in that neck of the woods. And I didn't even get to Filey or Scarborough.

• Like 1

Another 👍 for the YAM. Great place - spent more than six hours there on my last visit, which was only going to be a "short" one, and I'll go back again if ever I get the chance to get out of Australia ...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For anyone in this part of North Yorkshire I have just been to the Malton Model Shop (AKA World Wide Shopping Mall Ltd). It is in the Old Cinema and has recently reopened fully after COVID. They have taken over most of the small shops in the mall and expanded their model range so now have a good selection. Further I have noticed that their online database seems to always be up to date so you can get a very good idea of what they have from that. https://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk. All in all some positive model shop news for once.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I echo Pete F's comments above on the shop in Malton. I passed the shop a couple of weeks ago on my way to see the new Bond film and did a double take, couldn't believe my eyes!! After seeing the film called into the World Wide Shopping Mall and was amazed at the range and quantity of kits on sale. A room dedicated to Revell kits and the other space full of Tamiya, Trumpeter, Airfix, etc. etc. I've asked my friends at IPMS Cleveland and IPMS North Riding and no one has heard of this amazing shop. I can't understand their lack of marketing and advertising. They have a great model shop, why not shout about it?

Puzzled of Cleveland

Looks like the Bourton Model Railway shop in Bourton on the Water is gone. Property up for sale. Used to stock a modest selection of kits and consumables. I guess there's remote possibility a new owner might keep it as a toy/model shop because of the railway exhibition, but more likely to become another tacky teashop.

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

In Boston (Lincs) the other day I spotted a new (to me) model shop.

Retro Models on Pen Street, just around the corner from the Warhammer shop. They may well be related.

In the window were a couple of RC Aircraft and a few Airfix kits that I saw as we drove past.

Hopefully I'll get time to pop in and report back on the results.

• Thanks 1

A little off topic I was in my superb LMS yesterday( North East Model Centre on the A167 between Durham and Chester-le-street)

which I had not visited for a good while,not at all the owners fault as he permanantly runs 10% of plastic kits(20% off Tamiya) but

the prices are gobsmacking across the board on all thing's.I know I'm a tight wad but £23 for Airfix's re-released 1/72 Harrier,Revell

releasing Matchbox's 1/76 armour kits at £19:99 the list goes on,we all want and need to support all these wonderfull places but I

worry about the youngsters coming into the hobby with so many other attractions chasing after their money.

I had gone in to get a kit for the Sherman GB thinking a 1/72 scale offering 

from  Revell but ended up paying a mere four quid more for a Tamiya 1/35 kit with extra figures.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 1:16 PM, Potato Pete said:

Looks like the Bourton Model Railway shop in Bourton on the Water is gone. Property up for sale. Used to stock a modest selection of kits and consumables. I guess there's remote possibility a new owner might keep it as a toy/model shop because of the railway exhibition, but more likely to become another tacky teashop.

Very sad.  The only thing that made a visit to Bourton-on-the-Water remotely tolerable: a small island of sanity in a vast sea of kitchy tat.

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I had gone in to get a kit for the Sherman GB thinking a 1/72 scale offering from  Revell but ended up paying a mere four quid more for a Tamiya 1/35 kit with extra figures.

Wise move.  The Revell 1/72 Sherman is best avoided.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Revell releasing Matchbox's 1/76 armour kits at £19:99 the list goes on,we all want and need to support all these wonderfull places but I

worry about the youngsters coming into the hobby with so many other attractions chasing after their money.

£22.49 for the Matchbox Churchill AVRE. I couldn't believe it when I saw that in my local model shop, I assumed it must be a gift set that includes paint, brushes and glue but no. The one in my stash cost me £3.50, reduced to clear because it hadn't sold at the 5 or 6 quid that was the normal asking price at the time. Airfix are asking almost twice as much for the Harrier as they were when it was last on release about 5 years ago.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

I was driving through Holsworthy in Devon last week and spotted a model shop.  Pretty surprising for such a small place; less of a surprise that it was shut because it was a Monday, as half the county does the same thing.  Does anyone know anything about it?

• 7 months later...
On 14/07/2020 at 12:50, snowen250 said:

And i remember serving you in the much missed Hythe shop! Still got the dark blue beetle?

Other excellent places in Kent are:

The hobby shop - Faversham

Excellent shop with a wide range of choice.

Aviation Bookshop - Tunbridge Wells.

Obviously just aircraft, but a great selection of aircraft kits and then a truly amazing selection of books! Obviously. Good prices too

Simon

I am in the Tunbridge area for a day and a bit so need some tips of good shops within the locale. Faversham maybe a bit far although a good one. Cheers for any help. 

I've recently moved to the Newark, Notts area and find myself spoiled with not one but two LMS's, the one at the Air Museum that I've visited a few times, also Access Models in the town itself, I nipped in last weekend and they have some nice stock at decent prices (must... not... buy... more kits) and the guys who run it are really friendly.

On 3/24/2022 at 7:27 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

In Boston (Lincs) the other day I spotted a new (to me) model shop.

Retro Models on Pen Street, just around the corner from the Warhammer shop. They may well be related.

In the window were a couple of RC Aircraft and a few Airfix kits that I saw as we drove past.

Hopefully I'll get time to pop in and report back on the results.

Well Pete, never saw this before, gives me a reason to head there....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I've recently moved to the Newark, Notts area and find myself spoiled with not one but two LMS's, the one at the Air Museum that I've visited a few times, also Access Models in the town itself, I nipped in last weekend and they have some nice stock at decent prices (must... not... buy... more kits) and the guys who run it are really friendly.

To be honest chap, you are in a decent area for models, there are the two in Newark, decent little shop, B&H Models, on the main pedestrian walk way in the middle of Lincoln, head to Spalding and there is Masons in the town centre, miserable owners but a great model (and Household Lighting!!!) shop, head to Skegness for a bit of sea air and you can call into Horncastle into the Toyshop which has a load of models in the window,  the shop in Boston mentioned above, nearly all the shops in the Boyes chain sell Humbrol and Vallejo paints, some have models.

All in all okay.  

• Thanks 1

Another one to add to the list...

Model Workshop in Bansley. Not been in person but used them for mail order stuff 👍

https://www.themodelworkshop.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrsfK7tHq_AIVZ4BQBh2TrAvSEAAYASAAEgIFdfD_BwE

And this one for all Warhammer related stuff

https://www.hobbyworkshop.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhpmO4NLq_AIVj9PtCh01fwnJEAAYASAAEgLf5_D_BwE

And also Leodis Games in Pudsey/Farsley. Purely a gaming shop but they have an excellent range of paints/tools etc.

https://www.leodisgames.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqa_CnNPq_AIVlsftCh1HRwHWEAAYASAAEgIGRfD_BwE

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers

Just seen on another site there is a new shop Kilbirnie, Ayreshire.  64 Main Street.

Called Scale Model Shop.

Pictures on line suggest it looks decent.

As an aside popped into Access Models in Newark yesterday.  New owners, moving it all around.  Looking good.

• 1 month later...