Model Shops UK

binbrook87

6 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Sad to report a casualty, Stamps and Hobbies will not be reopening next month, though Gravesend Model Centre will be and has been for some time two stores on the same street (kits vs diecast/rail) having expanded early last year. 

51010011510_3ca6b52060_b.jpg

It was very hit and miss before. As I also collect stamps I tried twice to visit this shop after an overnight stop in the area on the way back to the continent, and both times it was shut.

Pity as it seemed the perfect opportuniy - we parked at Asda and the wife stocked up on tea and other essentials not available in Austria while I attempted to fill the remaining space in the car with purchases from this shop. Finding it shut was a disappointing end to the holiday.

13 hours ago, Chimpion said:

It was very hit and miss before. As I also collect stamps I tried twice to visit this shop after an overnight stop in the area on the way back to the continent, and both times it was shut.

Pity as it seemed the perfect opportuniy - we parked at Asda and the wife stocked up on tea and other essentials not available in Austria while I attempted to fill the remaining space in the car with purchases from this shop. Finding it shut was a disappointing end to the holiday.

That’s a shame, probably should have posted earlier been Friday-Saturday only for a while pre Covid, not a surprise Covid forced retirement.

• 4 weeks later...

On 8/9/2020 at 11:14 AM, stever219 said:

The Model Box,

Old Watermill Shopping Village,

Faldo Road,

Barton-le-Clay,

Bedfordshire,

MK45 4RF.

Small and friendly but with an incredibly varied stock: Airfix, revellers, Tamiya, Valom, Misterkit (the latter on offer at present).  Handy coffee shop nearby plus other businesses in which to offload SWMBO (other WMBO's are available).  Access for wheelchair users is possible but the slope is quite steep.  Not easily accessible by public trapsnort.  

Was thinking of popping over early next week so had a look at their Facebook page just to double check that they had survived, and yes they have, but not only that they have actually moved into a bigger unit within the Shopping Village!

When I called over there, they were located in a small pokey little unit, not much bigger than the average bathroom, however, from what I remember from my visit and the poking around I did the unit he's moved into is at least twice if not 3 times the size of his old unit

old unit : https://www.facebook.com/THE-MODEL-BOX-1184240288262592/photos/1504401899579761

new unit: https://www.facebook.com/THE-MODEL-BOX-1184240288262592/photos/4067327573287168

(has loads packed into a small space though!) 

I'll reiterate what I said - well worth a visit and worth supporting local hobby stores like this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

KS Models of Old Stevenage is alive and well and fully stocked up with an array of very tempting kits. Well worth a trip whatever your branch of modelling is.

The Model Box is also very much worth a visit. Bigger store and plenty of stock.

(Hobbycraft in Stevenage is a waste of time. It feels as if they are phasing out the modelling section. Even Humbrol paints have a very limited amount of choice.)

All good stuff, and (like the Lord High Executioner) I've got a little list!

Now all I need is for the Gest government here to allow Australians to travel overseas again ...

Positive comments about @Wonderland Models in Edinburgh.

Placed an order last night at 22:40, and due to the time of evening, I was not expecting this to be processed until probably Late this afternoon or tomorrow at the earliest. Consequently, I added a note requesting that this not be shipped until w/c 01/06/2021 as myself and the wife are travelling to see family over the bank holiday weekend, and so would not be around to receive the delivery. Lo and behold, less than 12 hours after placing the order (and probably within about 90 mins of them opening) I've just received a telephone call from them advising that they were actually in the middle of processing the order, and would I like it to be shipped for delivery tomorrow (27/05/2021)!

Cannot fault their customer service at all, was not expecting such a fast turnaround of the order, and fast delivery. Will definitely use them again for stuff.

(Have been to the store when visiting a few years ago, lovely place, and really well stocked - cannot wait to visit again sometime soon!)

Edited by treker_ed
Corrected a date

• 1 month later...

Just found another to add to the list.

Toymaster in Weymouth. This is Howleys Toys, 5 Frederick Place on Weymouth's main shopping area. It's branded as a Toymaster store, but at the back they have a great selection of Airfix, Revell, Italeri, Tamiya and even Zevezda kits. Near the entrance, they also have a selection of wargaming stuff, and also paints and other supplies. Definitely worth a visit if in the area.

Right then - Seems I'm visiting a lot of the Dorset model emporiums at the moment and reporting back to the BM massive!!!!

Called in to Setchfields in poole today, still there, still trading and they now have a website! From what I can see, not on a par with some of the other online stores as they have only just got it, but they can now do online ordering as well!

https://www.setchfields.co.uk/

I've read that some people have had bad experiences in here, but every time I've been in they have been extremely friendly and welcoming. Had a nice chat this afternoon when I popped in and bought a couple of kits, and the wife bought a couple of Jigsaws from the other side of the shop. It is really a pleasure to shop there whenever I go in (sadly only once a year when visiting Dorset, but still very pleasant)

Should also mention a shop on Swanage High Street called Johns Toyland, 16 Institute Road, Swanage. Mainly a toy shop, but they have a nice selection of Airfix & some Revell kits in stock.  Quite a few starter kits, but when I went in they had a number of 1/48 kits in from Airfix, and quite a few recent 1/72 kits (Wellington, Whitley etc). worth a look if in the area.

Thanks for the link Ed.  I was a regular visitor to Setchfields for many years, until the current situation prevented further visits, and I've never had any issues there at all.  As you say, always friendly and welcoming.

Mike

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 8:01 PM, bootneck said:

Thanks for the link Ed.  I was a regular visitor to Setchfields for many years, until the current situation prevented further visits, and I've never had any issues there at all.  As you say, always friendly and welcoming.

Mike

Apart from their annoying habit of rounding up prices...often by a few quid.

Mike

Edited by mick b

Not sure anyone has mentioned Hereford Model Centre in Commercial Road yet.  Even if they have, it deserves another call-out, not least because it suffers from the disadvantage of being cut off from the main town centre by the busy ring road which the casual browser might not bother to cross.

https://www.herefordmodels.com/

It's a long established independent shop, large by modern standards.  It takes the model brief very widely: there is a large railway section and I believe I have seen stuff like dolls' houses as well.  The plastic model section has shrunk by maybe 40% over the last 10 years or so, but it still has the biggest choice for many miles around (Antics in Gloucester probably the nearest competitor).  The owner seems to know his stuff:  he usually has the latest Airfix issues as soon as they hit the streets and there are regular surprises (only place anywhere where I've seen Heller Shermans or Hobby 2000 kits on the shelf for example).  Also, as an old-fashioned model shop, some of his stock is slower moving so you may find long OOP items.  What has expanded in recent years is paints and ancillaries: full ranges of Vallejo, Modelcolor, Mig Ammo, etc.  He also does Albion Alloys and Evergreen products.

There is zero parking outside but the ring road nearby is liberally sprinkled with small car parks.

Use it or lose it!

• Like 1

In Barrow , there are 2 shops selling models.  

Crafty hobbies which has a mix of model railways, dolls houses and has a fairly eclectic mix of kits , they have actually expanded the amount of space given over to kits, apparently they did well during lock down selling kits.      

There is also Heaths toy master which is mainly Revell and Tamiya with a few Airfix and others in the mix, best place for paints and accessories.  
Not too bad really for modellers when you notice how many other shops are now closed in the high st.

• Thanks 1

On 13/07/2020 at 20:56, PhoenixII said:

To add to @Pete F list:-

P&S Hobbies, Scarborough and York.

Monk Bar Models, York.

Cutty Blacks, York, (trains and diecast.)

Boyes department store, Billingham and York used to do models, unsure at the moment, but all? shops carry paint, glue and tools.

@binbrook87 nearest to you will be either Coalville, Heanor or Ripley.

Yorkshire Air Museum, Elvington, nr. York.

Croppers, Bridlington.

Redcar Models, Redcar.

Stockton Modeller, Stockton. 

North East Model Centre, Chester le Street.

I knew this forum would come up trumps. Heading up to York next week for a few days so will check out a few of these shops. Cheers.👍

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I knew this forum would come up trumps. Heading up to York next week for a few days so will check out a few of these shops. Cheers.👍

As it is buried somewhere in this forum here is another link to this map:

Model shops map

22 hours ago, PARROTTOID said:

In Barrow , there are 2 shops selling models.  

Crafty hobbies which has a mix of model railways, dolls houses and has a fairly eclectic mix of kits , they have actually expanded the amount of space given over to kits, apparently they did well during lock down selling kits.      

There is also Heaths toy master which is mainly Revell and Tamiya with a few Airfix and others in the mix, best place for paints and accessories.  
Not too bad really for modellers when you notice how many other shops are now closed in the high st.

Added to the map.

• Like 1

Not sure if The Mighty Lancer in Bridlington has been mentioned? Mainly war gaming and Games Workshop stuff but has a varied and decent selection of 'mainsteam' kits. It also has the biggest selection of paint types i've ever seen in a shop! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for that.👍 My aunt recommended the Eden Camp, the air museum looks good and Bridlington isn't miles a way so I should have a credit card busting few days touring that part of Yorkshire.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

My aunt recommended the Eden Camp, the air museum looks good

Both are excellent. The Eden Camp has a massive and very varied WW2 collection - loads of fun. Elvington is more more focused and if you are into aircraft well worth the visit. You wouldn't be able to manage both in a day.

• Thanks 1

Not exclusively a model shop, but a quick shout out for Beachcomber in Filey on the Yorkshire coast. A decent selection of Revell kits and paints in amongst the needlecraft and nice seaside souvenirs. I've been popping in when on holiday over the least 30+ years, and gave them a bit more business when up there recently.

Mike

• Like 1