Model Shops UK

binbrook87

Wicor models in Portchester, just west of Portsmouth. Mainly railway and dolls houses but some models. What appears to be the full range of Ammo mig paints as well as some revell and games workshop. Evergreen strip and sheet and some brass. Tools etc. Closed Sunday and Monday. I think they do mail order as well. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Is there anything in Weston Super Mare?

I put MT Games LTD onto the map. If you visit and want to write a short description on this thread I can update so others know what sort of stock they have. Online it looks more games and Lego oriented but you can never tell.

15 hours ago, NigelD said:

Wicor models in Portchester, just west of Portsmouth.

This one was on the map but I have updated it with your comments - hope this is okay.

• Thanks 1

The Model Box,

Old Watermill Shopping Village,

Faldo Road,

Barton-le-Clay,

Bedfordshire,

MK45 4RF.

Small and friendly but with an incredibly varied stock: Airfix, revellers, Tamiya, Valom, Misterkit (the latter on offer at present).  Handy coffee shop nearby plus other businesses in which to offload SWMBO (other WMBO's are available).  Access for wheelchair users is possible but the slope is quite steep.  Not easily accessible by public trapsnort.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

The Model Box,

Faldo Road,

Barton-le-Clay,

I've added it to the map. The website is linked from the map entry- it looks like a great little shop.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

The Helicopter museum stocks helicopter kits from most major manufacturers which probably puts it in the 'speciality model shop' box. Its also well stocked with 1:1 reference material - so long as its a helicopter you're interested in.

2 hours ago, Aeronut said:

The Helicopter museum stocks helicopter kits from most major manufacturers which probably puts it in the 'speciality model shop' box. Its also well stocked with 1:1 reference material - so long as its a helicopter you're interested in.

Thank you, now that you mention it, I do remember that from my last trip, it was good museum to have a look round, very friendly staff.  Not sure we will have enough time for another visit again as we are only there a couple of days.

On 8/8/2020 at 4:46 PM, Silver Fox said:

There's MD Hobbies and Leisure, fairly close to the railway station - reasonable range of Airfix and Revell last time I visited, last year.  They seem to be having problems with their shop website at the moment though!

http://www.mdhobbiesandleisure.com/documents/contact.html

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 11:14 AM, stever219 said:

The Model Box,

Faldo Road,

Barton-le-Clay,

Bedfordshire,

MK45 4RF.

Small and friendly but with an incredibly varied stock: Airfix, revellers, Tamiya, Valom, Misterkit (the latter on offer at present).  Handy coffee shop nearby plus other businesses in which to offload SWMBO (other WMBO's are available).  Access for wheelchair users is possible but the slope is quite steep.  Not easily accessible by public trapsnort.  

Popped over there today - great little place. Bought a few kits - completely forgot the paint that I needed though - half way home before I realised.

Most definitely worth a visit.

Word of warning though - due to C-19 restrictions, they can only have one customer in the store at a time. But still a worthwhile visit.

• Thanks 3

On 8/10/2020 at 12:43 PM, TimV1969 said:

There's MD Hobbies and Leisure, fairly close to the railway station - reasonable range of Airfix and Revell last time I visited, last year.  They seem to be having problems with their shop website at the moment though!

http://www.mdhobbiesandleisure.com/documents/contact.html

Thanks again , I had a quick look and it is very much as you said, more Airfix than Revell this year. Lots of trains, Scalextrix, Warhammer and collectors figures as well.

On 09/08/2020 at 11:14, stever219 said:

The Model Box,

Faldo Road,

Barton-le-Clay,

Bedfordshire,

MK45 4RF.

On 12/08/2020 at 16:47, treker_ed said:

Popped over there today - great little place. Bought a few kits - completely forgot the paint that I needed though - half way home before I realised.

Most definitely worth a visit.

Word of warning though - due to C-19 restrictions, they can only have one customer in the store at a time. But still a worthwhile visit.

I will also add a thumbs up to this shop. Small but packed with kits from various manufacturers, paints and sundries. First thing I saw was a kit I had been after for a while so a happy visit. Will definitely visit again as it is only half hour away (although probably not in such torrential rain.)👍

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot this one - reminded about it when reading the AMW August issue

Setchfields Models

21-25 High Street

Poole

Dorset

BH15 1AB

Been in there a few times when down in Dorset on holiday. They have a fantastic range of kits and a large range of manufacturers (I usually make a habit of calling in when down there and will be calling again when down there over the next week). Highly recommended.

• Thanks 1

On 05/09/2020 at 00:32, treker_ed said:

Setchfields Models

I've added this to the map. If you visit could you update that it is still open. I couldn't find a website.

Without scrolling all through this thread to see if it's been mentioned before, I'll mention Action Model Shop in Lucius Street in Torquay. Nice selection of models and equipment. does toys and radio control cars as well. Nice people

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pete F said:

I've added this to the map. If you visit could you update that it is still open. I couldn't find a website.

They don't have one as far as I am aware - nor do they have a Facebook page. I don't think they go in for internet sales. But.. They are still open based on some recent comments online. I'm going to visit this Friday (11/09/70) so can double check.

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2020 at 5:41 PM, Stef N. said:

I just remembered one in Dorchester which had a good stock of kits. It is easy to pass as it just looks like a shop for artists's materials (which isn't a bad thing anyway.) Quite handy for those on holiday or visiting Bovington.

Frank Herring and Sons, Dorset.

Popped there yesterday (09/09/2020).

They have changed their hours but had missed it on the website - arrived at 4:20 and had closed at 4pm. However, they allowed myself and my wife in. Now comes the rub... They started to insist on face masks (fair enough) however both me and my wife are exempt from wearing due to medical issues, and we have cards explaining why. Then they insisted on us using their hand sanitiser - we have our own. The person in the shop became very "narky" and turned round and said that because she didn't know where ours came from, we were NOT allowed to touch anything at all in the shop. We were made to feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome. 

Due to autism I will not use any hand sanitiser in a shop (except for our own), It's the way it feels weird on my skin - it's hard to explain properly, but I explained all this to them and this was also why I couldn't wear a mask, but the shop assistant didn't want to know!

They seemed to go out of their way to be very unwelcoming - we left after a brief browse without buying anything.

Now something positive.

On Dorchester high-street is a small toyshop with Toymaster branding. Upstairs they have a small but decent selection of Airfix & Revell Kits. I managed to bag two Airfix 1/72 Mitchell II kits for £14.99 each instead of £24.99 each! Bargain. Just checks on Google Maps - Howleys Toys. And also really friendly staff.

Edited by treker_ed
clarification of information
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, treker_ed said:

Dorchester high-street is a small toyshop with Toymaster branding

I've put this one on the map.

Its a shame that people can't be considerate and polite unlike the person in the other shop you visited. These times bring out the best and worst in many. I'm just looking forward to the time I can return to my old model shop haunts and spend as much time as I like browsing, before buying that model that I never knew I needed.

• Like 1

There's a handy shop near me that's not on the map.

S M T F Model Shop c/o Brookside Garden Centre,  London Road North, Poynton, Cheshire SK12 1BY

Opening Hours: Wed-Sun 11:00 - 16:30 - but they have been a bit changeable during the pandemic (generally increasing though) and I think they have a bit of a limit on numbers in the shop at the same time.

It's predominantly railway modelling, but they have a very good collection of mainly Airfix 1:72 kits and a modest but varied (and slow moving) selection of second hand kits. They also sell paints, glues, tools and a great selection of Evergreen sheets, strips, rods etc.

On 9/8/2020 at 4:29 PM, treker_ed said:

They don't have one as far as I am aware - nor do they have a Facebook page. I don't think they go in for internet sales. But.. They are still open based on some recent comments online. I'm going to visit this Friday (11/09/70) so can double check.

No internet/FB presence that I can tell - but their hours are currently 10:30 till 16:00, and they are limiting numbers in shop to (I think) 5 customers.

(from 27/09 for about 2 weeks they will be changing their hours for holidays - 10:30 until 15:00 most days - sign in window advising, so if wanting to visit, might be worth contacting in advance to check their hours - 01202 673300)

Contrary to some of the comments, they couldn't have been more friendly or more helpful today on my visit. Thoroughly pleasant and productive visit (purchases to go in acquisitions once i get proper internet access once back at home at the weekend) 

Edited by treker_ed
  • Thanks 1

Bekra Model shop, Queen Street, Newton Abbot, Devon  

They took over during lockdown from the previous owner and are still working to build a full website:   https://bekramodels.co.uk/

They are fairly traditional with radio control and railway taking about 2/3 rds of the shop, but cover the main plastic kit manufacturers including Airfix, Revell, Tamiya, Italeri, Trumpeter etc as well as a good range of paints, glues, fillers and tools.  They are also close to the large Cricketfield car park which is handy for large purchases.