Airfix 1/48th Boulton Paul Defiant NF.1

Thanks chaps,

I really fancy making a night fighter scheme but am a little wary of being able to capture some variation in tone

You really should have a go at it Steve, practice on an old paint mule until you're happy with the result. As I said earlier, just apply a black base then marble (doodling, basically) fine, random 'squiggles' over the surface panels, leaving the panel lines black and then apply various (heavily thinned) dark greys, allowing the marbling to show through slightly. Over this you can apply different shades of grey/black as well as pastel powders for extra effect. Using reference photos of the actual subject is pretty well essential as it's easy to go overboard. 

On 7/9/2020 at 1:46 PM, general melchett said:

Thanks Chris, appreciated, 

Better not let the Memsahib here that Pat :shutup:

Looks like the reissue has now been released, it's well worth getting if you can.

Alas my Memsahib works at home and has seemingly developed a third eye for repeated home deliveries.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any suggestions for replacement product for Wilder textured earth? He stopped taking orders.

Shep, I would suggest looking at the AK and AMMO MIG products ranges, they would do the job. Shame Adam isn't taking orders at the moment, they're great products I use a lot.

Thanks Martian, my old betentacled friend, glad you liked it. T'was a fun, quick build truth be told.

On 7/7/2020 at 2:53 PM, keith in the uk said:

Love it , great job :yes: if only it was given a more powerful engine and four 20mm Cannons in the wings the story might have been a bit different ..

The story would have been extremely different, as for that to have been possible it could not have entered service until 1942, with the availability of either single-stage Griffons or two-stage Merlins, rather than being with squadrons in 1939 as required.  Which would have seriously reduced night-fighter cover over Britain in the early part of the war.

Nevertheless, wonderful job, General, and I wish I had your finesse with the way you re-work the surface treatment like this.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Thanks 1