Airfix 1/48th Boulton Paul Defiant NF.1

Hi all, only me with another build I finished recently, featured in last months issue of Airfix Model World. This time it's the soon to be reissued 1/48th Defiant Mk.1 by Airfix  which really only combines the earlier Mk.1 and NF.1 kits with new decals including markings for one of each type, nothing else has changed in the box.  Unfortunately the new decals weren't ready in time so I opted to use the earlier NF.1 markings for the sharmouthed N3328 of 151 squadron which, to be honest, looks more interesting than those of the newer offering (264 squadrons N1801, 'Coimbatore II') It's a lovely little kit in its own right but as is often the case with Airfix, a tad basic when it comes to surface detail. I decided to fill most of the overly heavy panel lines, (especially those on the tail planes and fin) and lightly rescribed them to a more respectable level. At the same time I decided to rivet sections of the thing too which was pretty straightforward using SBS's neat 1/72nd rivetting tool. A fair bit of aftermarket was thrown at it, including CMK's resin Merlin III engine (with exhaust stacks and replacement engine covers), their resin cockpit and replacement Mk2D powered turret along with Eduard's PE cockpit interior, landing gear bay and landing flap set. The resin cockpit set was mixed with the pre-painted PE parts to produce a rather decent Defiant cockpit and the same went for the turret. 

The model was sprayed using MRP lacquer paints and weathered using a combination of AK, AMMO MIG and Wilder washes and pigment products and staining came courtesy of Abteilung 502 oils thinned using their Matt Effect Thinner. 

All in all, a  quick fun build. Airfix did a pretty good job with this one at a very fair price although personally I would have liked to have seen more restrained panel lines and a bit more surface detail.

Thanks for looking and hope you like it. :cheers:

Melchie 

1-AGD-9601.jpg

2-AGD-9597.jpg

3-AGD-9599.jpg

4-def5.jpg

5-AGD-9590.jpg

6-AGD-9603.jpg

7-AGD-9600.jpg

8-AGD-9604.jpg

9-def-2-2.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 50

That looks amazing mate,..... a true thing of beauty,..... you have bumped an already good kit up to another level and then finished it off with a paint job to die for,...... truly awesome modelling!

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, as always your kind comments are very much appreciated. While not a raging success and a somewhat flawed concept there's a certain something about the Defiant that makes it an interesting modelling subject, same, I think, goes for the Blackburn Roc.

That black finish  still finding it hard to get a decent black finish

Thanks Angell328, the secret to creating an interesting black finish is to firstly think of it as multiple shades of dark grey rather than a uniform black. The way I like to recreate it is to firstly lay down a matt black primer layer (I use both Stynylrez Black and Mr.Surfacer 1500 Black thinned with Mr.Levelling Thinner) and then apply a 'marbling' coat of contrasting tones, (in this case MRP-186 Light Grey, MRP-99 U.S.NAVY White, MRP-036 Red-Brown and MRP-200 Dark Blue) which add variation to the surface colour. A few light top-coats of MRP-173 Tyre Black and MRP-205 ''Eggplant'' Dark Grey were then airbrushed randomly over the marbling until you get the look you're happy with. After the semi-matt clear top coat has been applied, various oils and pastels were used to add extra tones to the panels, this is where reference photos really come into their own.

• Thanks 1

So this is where you've been skiving 😂

Lovely finish young General, that weathering is superb. It's not easy to weather an all black build but you've nailed it.

Have to catch up sometime mate :)

• Haha 1

So this is where you've been skiving 

Rumbled!.....yep, well, as Baldrick rightly says, 'it's better than just sitting around here all day on our elbows'...I like the 'young' bit...

Thanks mate, yes, as soon as the situation allows we must get together again for a good natter. I've got enough folks now wanting to meet up that we could start our own 'Freedom for Tooting' march on a few local museums, not to mention watering holes. There's only so many Zoom meetings a chap can take:banghead:

Thanks fellas, 

if only it was given a more powerful engine and four 20mm Cannons in the wings the story might have been a bit different ..

Very true Keith, forward firing guns would have made a significant difference to performance as a day fighter, as would an uprated Merlin and bullet proof windscreen. The Mk II was supposed to have helped here but the increase in performance was disappointing. The Germans realised that the aircraft was vulnerable from a head-on attack and adjusted their tactics accordingly. That lead to the decision to re-role the aircraft to attacking bombers at night on home defence where they had better success. Unfortunately the Defiant's accident rate didn't exactly help the aircraft's reputation.