Belgian Spitfire FR Mark 14, autumn 1948

Hi all,

A late entry to the GB, but should be a relatively quick build.

I'm using the Mark 1 XIV Reconnaissance boxing which has three late war RAF examples and this post war Belgian model but the decals only provide enough roundels for one RAF model, so I thought I'd have a shot at the Belgian version.

This is SC46, formerly RAF RM625 of 1944 construction and did apparently see some late war service. Only lasted 9 months in Belgian service before a serious ground accident led to it being written off.

Interestingly in Belgian service the Roman numerals are not used so it is, per the thread title, a Spitfire FR Mark 14.

spacer.png

First jobs, paint the interior with a suitable grey-green then cut the parts off the generous sprue-gates and clean up. I guess the sprues are generic (Mark 1 also released some Mark XVIII Spitfires) so the wings needed cropping and the engine bulges are seperate parts.

Going to need a lot of putty and filing I suspect...

• Like 2

Gloss varnish this morning, fitted the wheels and prop (as usual forna Mark 1 kit, the groves in the spinner needing a lot of gouging to take the blades) , unmasked the cockpit and fitted a whip aerial (a gift from my cat!).

Finished. Fun build, thanks for the GB.

spacer.png

• Like 5