Walrus K5774, HMNZS Achilles

I don't normally build bisplanes as I hate rigging them. I sometimes make an exception and a set of etched rigging from SBS and a fabulous model posted hear earlier by Jenko enabled me to finish this stalled build.

I finished it as an aircraft of the New Zealand Division of the Royal Navy in 1936-38 attached to HMNZS Achilles, using a set of Print Scale decals. Four Walruses( Walrii?) were  part of that establishment coded Z! to Z4, though the machine I represented, K5774, was landed back in the UK in mid 1938. 

50083412467_bab6aaaaba_c.jpgWalrus K5774 4 

The kit is a joy to build, everything fits nicely and I used very little filler. I did use a set of Eduard Brassin wheels with spoked hubs,

50082590913_ee354304fa_c.jpgWalrus K5774 2

The decals were  nice and thin , conformed with very little help and were nicely opaque.

50083415627_b06b04d975_c.jpgWalrus K5774 1 by

I'm not sure I will build another, as I have already nailed together a SMER kit of another RNZAF machine, but I would recommend it to anyone.  I omitted the radio aeriaL wires as a practicality as this model will hopefully go to a number of shows Covid permitting.

50082589443_406de953af_c.jpgWalrus K5447 3 

Thank you for looking

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

Oh WOW,..... that is superb mate,......... really well done.

I have one stalled too,...... all finished just in need of rigging,........ my mental block has ensured that it has not re surfaced from the box yet! I bought the catapult kit too so that I can mount it on there,....... you`ve just reminded me to get my finger out!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Wow, amazing build and the metal finish is superb.

Been on the fence about getting on of these, but you have pushed me over the edge and shall be annoying my local model shop guy soon for one!

Matt

• Like 1

Brilliant. Glad I was able to "kick" start you. The rigging is a breeze with the Aims kit. The kit I would fully recommend to any one as it's rock solid ...compared to the Tamiya Swordfish.

Now you are out of your comfort zone what about an Navy Tiger Moth????

All the best

Dick

48 minutes ago, jenko said:

Brilliant. Glad I was able to "kick" start you. The rigging is a breeze with the Aims kit. The kit I would fully recommend to any one as it's rock solid ...compared to the Tamiya Swordfish.

Now you are out of your comfort zone what about an Navy Tiger Moth????

All the best

Dick

Thanks again mate for the kick I thoroughly enjoyed building it I had looked at the rigging set and discounted it as a gimmick  but it is a sound piece of kit and there are spares for every line which is a bonus. 

I have acquired both a Tiger Moth and the rigging set, though it will be something New Zealandy  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tonyot said:

Oh WOW,..... that is superb mate,......... really well done.

I have one stalled too,...... all finished just in need of rigging,........ my mental block has ensured that it has not re surfaced from the box yet! I bought the catapult kit too so that I can mount it on there,....... you`ve just reminded me to get my finger out!

Cheers

Tony

Tony, crack on mate yours will be fabulous. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Thank you all for the kind words.

Angell328, I hope you do get one it is a remarkable kit.

I popped to my modelshop the other day and he didn't have the Walrus or another Tiger Moth in stock yet, so of course I came back with this!

spacer.png

I mean the resemblance to a Biplane is uncanny!

Matt

• Haha 2

A wonderful looking Walrus there Andy, of course it gets a big tick from me for the subject alone but also deserving of the big tick for your execution of it, immaculately done. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Buzby061, good luck with yours, you will enjoy it. 

Stevehnz, thanks, I was trying for the Walrus I thought she carried at the  Battle of the River Plate originally but that proved elusive and so I settled for K5447, at least I know  she was on her at some point. Just need a 1/48 HMNZS Achilles now!

28 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Just need a 1/48 HMNZS Achilles now!

That I'd have to see, I'd want a ride in it too. :D Afaik, will need to check if I can remember where, Achilles was without her Walrus at the battle, something to do with an oversight & it was sort of left behind. Maybe servicing or similar. I'll try to find a reference.

Steve.

Steve,

as far as I know the following is accurate:

four machines originally allocated to the New Zealand division

Z1 K5774 allocated to HMNZS Achilles, left behind in UK after refit in 1938

Z2 K5782

Z3 K8558 allocated to HMNZS Leander

Z4 L2222 allocated to HMNZS Leander after K8558

L2241 embarked after refit in UK lost off Aden April1939

K5783, allocated code Z2, used to replace L2241, lost of Aitutaki July 1939

L2236/NZ152 allocated to HMNZS Achilles 1941-January 1943

What I can't find is a serial for a Walrus that covered the gap between July 1939 and 1941. At the outbreak of was the unit code changed to P9 with K8558 being  P9 A whilst attached to HMNZS Leander. I wondered if HMNZS Achilles sailed without a spotter plane once  war was declared or she carried another type? Given her original mission on the west coast of South America a spotter would have been very useful.

Andy

• Like 1

Some reading after I posted the above couldn't find what I was after but I think your surmise that she sailed without her spotter upon the out break of war seems likely.  Looking on the ADF serials page about the NZ Walrus sees that we were fairly careless with our Naval Walruses & a couple of prangs in the months leading up to the outbreak of war had maybe left the Navy short. This may be what I was thinking of. The Naval aircraft start with K serials about halfway down the page.

Steve.

• Like 1

Steve,

thanks for looking mate.

I'll keep looking but I'm getting a bit confused. I believe HMS Exeter's Walrus was damaged and that HMS Ajax got her Seafox off. It seems odd that if HMNZS Achilles had a spotter they don't seem to have tried to launch it.  There may not have been a serviceable machine in NZ when she sailed. 

Anyway at least the Walrus is finished and can sit with my NZ151/A behind her on the table. The old Smer kit is a light year behind the Airifix one which is the best fitting new Airfix kit I have built. 

Take care

Andy

• Like 1