Austria to phase out SAAB 105

Slater

It has  a multi role function - trainer, ground attack, reconnaissance. In theory they provide interception as well, though that would be of fairly slow airliners only I'd think, since flat out max chat is 520 knots at sea level. There was an update proposed about twelve years ago, possibly of electronics, not sure. May have been for Swedish machines only. 

A little early to retire them; I thought Saab still had a servicing contract to run for another two years or so.  They were supplied - 40 of them - in the Seventies, so quite long in the tooth. They replaced vampires and Tunnans - the Austrians had a small Air Force only, consistent with their slightly awkward position of quasi-neutrality between NATO and the Warsaw Pact. (Days long gone! )  Somewhat of a 'nominal' force in some respects, perhaps. 

The phase out was long announced, the shock over here us that no replcaement whatsoever is planned... :(

But lets see.. our new defence minister had lot of comunication/ anouncements to be changed / rectified etc recently....

Seems she talks first and then asks/ gets told...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, exdraken said:

The phase out was long announced, the shock over here us that no replcaement whatsoever is planned... :(

But lets see.. our new defence minister had lot of comunication/ anouncements to be changed / rectified etc recently....

Seems she talks first and then asks/ gets told...

I think we have some knackered Tucanos you can have. :whistle:

19 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I think we have some knackered Tucanos you can have. :whistle:

We have some PC-7s... no thanks I guess!

And i think price is not an issue... neither are any other reasonable arguments... :(

it is politics only :D

:wall:

51 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

I must admit I thought the decision to buy Eurofighters was sorted out ages ago,  Somehow I had the impression they were in service already.

long in service.

Apparently they have 15 x Tranche 1 Typhoons

Edited by northernphotography
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Slater said:

Haven't been following that particular topic, but what was/is the controversy over Austria's Eurofighters?

A bit off topic, but costs, costs, costs, and alleged bribery during the aquisition, and  then switch to  downgraded and minimum equipped Tranche 1 instead of ordered Tranche 2  with related additional costs ....and need for upgrade...

• Like 1

Well, a typical defense deal then :whistle:

That the Saab 105 gets no replacement is relevant insofar as were doing interceptions of slower intruders and took this burden partially from the Typhoons (= their flying hours were cheaper). Our military is notoriously cash-strapped and the Eurofighters are eating a large sum of the overall budget. Now they have to perform all interceptions with the Typhoon, costing even more.

Thing is, this discussion about the Eurofighter deal and alleged bribery has a long history here in Austria (around 15 years or more). Many governments have promised to "shed light" on this issue, latest our new defense minister who confidently promised not so long ago to get out of the contact and sue Eurofighter GmbH...only to go into reverse now.

In the end she did what all previous governments in Austria have done...push the unpopular topic to the next government.

Just my 2 Euro-Cents

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, northernphotography said:

long in service.

Apparently they have 15 x Tranche 1 Typhoons

Thank you, np. So my memory of seeing photos of them isn't fantasy! 

And shorty84 - also my thanks., the idea of splitting the tasks to reduce costs and minimise expensive flying hours make sense. And also make operational sense since using Typhoons to intercept really slow manoeuvrable machines adds risk.    Sounds as though once again politicians are pretending to 'expertise' they don't have. 

• Thanks 1