Specification of modern German aircraft makings

Mick_Gannon

43 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

This is not from fficial German documents but from an official US one:

bd4f04b2-27d5-41bf-a7b9-4992dfc9932d.jpg

Sir thank you for the info, however what is the value of Z? as not shown on the diagram or should this be 'A', as that would make sence. , there are a few examples that don't comply to the above calculations but not many, these tend to be on special colour scheme's and retirement scheme's. it should once you have drawn one cross be able to resize instead redraw for a different size still meet the formula shown.

Edited by Mick_Gannon

30 minutes ago, JayBee said:

Depends on the aircraft, they use different ones in size and style (700 or 800 mm on fuselage, 1000mm on wings)

Check this picture

I am build F104 Starfighters, the size is determined by the formula quoted by Giorgio N, which also quotes how 'A' is determined via the height of the fuselage and wing cord at the point of application, therefore you can apply this formula to any German cold war aircraft or from pictures to determine the position of the national markings, if I read it correctly.

thank you for your reply

30 minutes ago, Mick_Gannon said:

Sir thank you for the info, however what is the value of Z? as not shown on the diagram, there are a few examples that don't comply to the above calculations but not many, these tend to be on special colour scheme's and retirement scheme's. it should once you have drawn one cross be able to resize instead redraw for a different size still meet the formula shown.

I believe Z is a typo and should read A. I'll try to build a cross using the drawing and see if I believe correcly

Rob, thank yo for replying to the topic yes it helps and as a bonus the letter's also. I note the value to generate the radii are different than that Giorgio N posted above, Is there a spec for the white boarder on the letter's? and there is a black ling denoting the white section when used on white or light colouured surfaces, is there a spec for that

Mick

Edited by Mick_Gannon

2 hours ago, Mick_Gannon said:

I note the value to generate the radii are different than that Giorgio N posted above,

Mick

Thats what I said in my post above. If you look at my linked picture you will notice, that, for example, the Iron Cross on 21+96, 23+17 and 25+30 looks different in size and style. It should be 700mm in high on the fuselage and constructed using the drawing that Gorgio posted. But sometimes the high is different (800mm) and it looks different in style.

The Iron Cross on on low viz schemes is 400mm , the letters are 300mm and + 6mm white border.

For older schemes the letters should be 60% high of the Iron Cross on fuselage. 

The white border for old schemes should be 20mm if the letters high is above 400mm and 10mm if the letters high is below 400mm.

But it seems, there are also differences: F-104 and Fiat G 91 have the same high, but the border on F-104 is 20mm and on G 91 it is 10mm.  Alpha Jet and Tornado in old scheme have also 10mm white border.

For the black outline of the Iron Cross on white or natural metal parts the size is 0,01 of high. Example: Iron Cross high is 1000mm, the black border should be 10mm.

Thank you for the added information, the plot thickens, but why two different  sets of calculations? at some point there was a set standard defined to ensure all insignia followed a size on all aircraft, however there must have been an update to the format, or why would there be a difference, however we are taking models hear,I will determine what looks right by drawing each design and compare it to decals all ready produced and see what match's.

Mick

Edited by Mick_Gannon