1/72 AP-3C Orion

It pains me to say it but I am uber-glad that I am not alone it seems  :(

Disaster lurks within every build I undertake, so it is sadly reassuring to see you building my problems/models/nightmares on your own builds

What impresses me though is that your 'fixes' really do fix IT, wish mine did

The Orion looks superB

👍

• Thanks 1

It's looking good Rob (from here anyway!) :thumbsup:

I used mainly Aussie Decals for my last AP-3C build and they performed quite well, I did gloss it up before applying them. I had to use the Chimera from a DekLs sheet as the Aussie Decal version was under sized for the time frame of my build.

Hang in there, you can get this finished!

Almost done. Against my better judgement, I started adding HF antenna wires from black monofilament line. Pretty sure they'll be broken off in the coming house move - I managed to knock another antenna off myself last night - no idea where that went...

Stalled at the finish line - I broke my leg on Friday while out dirt bike riding on one of our local trails and I can't get into the modelling room on crutches. Looks like it'll be a while - all it needs is the props fitting and the forward HF antennae attachments.

Stupid old dirt bike rider...

• Sad 4

55 minutes ago, Bell209 said:

Stalled at the finish line - I broke my leg on Friday while out dirt bike riding on one of our local trails and I can't get into the modelling room on crutches. Looks like it'll be a while - all it needs is the props fitting and the forward HF antennae attachments.

Stupid old dirt bike rider...

You're having a nightmare at the moment, just caught up with your build...and your injury!

I have similar set backs on my builds, we all have one of those over flowing swear boxes on the go 😂 I've started to leave all antennas off until the end now for that reason. The other thing I do is spray Klear over the model once it's been weathered to seal everything in, all painful learning from those black finger prints! 

Hope you manage to negotiate the modelling room soon :)

On 8/27/2020 at 6:16 PM, perdu said:

It pains me to say it but I am uber-glad that I am not alone it seems 

I'm glad to hear you say that - I've seen your builds and they are awesome!

17 hours ago, woody37 said:

The other thing I do is spray Klear over the model once it's been weathered to seal everything in, all painful learning from those black finger prints! 

I did that - that's what made me so cranky! I've recoated it (again) and it seems to have finally sealed the mess in.

8 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Thanks - and to everyone else for their best wishes, too. I'll have a crack at getting into the model room after surgery - I'd like to see it in the cabinet instead of on the bench but I'll have to get SWMBO to move it as I can't carry anything with crutches.

• Sad 1

Mostly finished.

Hobbled into the model room on crutches over the weekend and my son took it out after I was done and put it on the kitchen table for me. 

51921893262_0de01924b1_b.jpg

51921892837_338828e71b_c.jpg

51921892877_4a3b6f5db1_b.jpg

51922866291_08766acde7_b.jpg

51922865916_670cfb0354_b.jpg

51921892932_39e14541bf_b.jpg

51922865941_6603e886cc_b.jpg

Before anyone says, 'Those decals look great, Rob - you can't see any silvering!', I'll point out that the angle taken hides that. For some reason, lighting plays a part in the appearance of these and I'm convinced there's been some ink running on them in a couple of places, particularly the roundels. The HF wires have sagged and I'll need to tighten them up with a match under them to provide the heat. It's a desktop model for now and will spend the next couple of years on my desk at work, so it'll do.

Better pics will follow for the RFI once I get the prop stencils out of Russia and can carry the thing outside for better lighting. Glad to have it off the bench, to be honest. More work on her predecessor, the SP-2H Neptune now.

• Like 6

Glad you persevered Rob, looks good ( and I CAN see some of the silvering :P )  :thumbsup:

The DekLs sheets include the prop stencils FYI, you could have popped next door and hit Derek up for some :D

I got onto Ryan and two of the EW sets will be trucking their way to me shortly, So I won't have to scratch build some of the 'new' parts in the set.

Great effort, amazing looking Orion, well worth the effort. I have loads of old kits I made as a kid but they're beyond restoration I reckon, I gave most away to the Avro Heritage Museum. Nice lounge btw, looks like somewhere from Ramsey Street in Neighbours!

17 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The DekLs sheets include the prop stencils FYI, you could have popped next door and hit Derek up for some :D

That's annoying - I should've gotten another one of his sets instead of the rubbish Aussie Decals set. The next one has DekLs, though.

15 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Nice lounge btw, looks like somewhere from Ramsey Street in Neighbours!

Probably just typical Aussie! 

15 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Great effort, amazing looking Orion, well worth the effort.

9 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Very nice restoration @Bell209

16 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Fought hard on this one but worth it.

Thanks, all. I'll do better pics outside with a better backgrond once I have more mobility - I knew some of you would want to see it earlier!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Next one I think I'll do as A9-658, inspired by this:

Might just put the one squadron on the tail, though. She's sitting on the gate now with 10SQN on the port fin and 11SQN on the starboard.

Hope to have more pictures of the desktop model up in a week once I'm back home. Made my last trip to AeroWorks today - I'm really going to miss that shop. 😢

• Like 1