1/72 AP-3C Orion

After years of staring at the model in my cabinet, I decided last week after seeing yet another P-3 kit started that it was time to crack on with the restoration of this:

51921893017_9d8300e444_b.jpg

51922866406_57f49eda23_b.jpg

I built this back in 1981, I think. Considering it was all brush-painted and the walkways painted, it wasn't a bad job but the seams were terrible, it needed nose weight (which I'd left out) and the decals were all faded (no clear coats on my models in those days!).

I want to rebuild it as a flying desktop model of the EW version of the AP-3C, two of which will continue in service with 10SQN, RAAF for a few more years. I have the Hawkeye Models decal set I'll use for this and I managed to get a copy of the Hamilton Hobbies ELINT conversion set, too. It's suffering from the moulds becoming worn, so I'll need to do a fair bit of work on the castings for it to pass muster. I'll also be using the Quickboost prop set as I want to model it with #1 engine loitered (propeller feathered in flight).

First step - strip with oven cleaner:

51922866506_c4ea76d2fc_b.jpg

It took a few goes and some resorting to the more-toxic-but-more-effective caustic stuff but it all came off eventually! The Lincoln at the bottom is not being stripped - it was in the hangar for a tailwheel repair!

Some bits broke off but I'm not concerned as they're being replaced anyway. The sonobouy launcher section and all the pylons were then removed and the small galley/rest area windows, which had clouded over, popped out.

51922866081_4a462a92b9_b.jpg

I've made a plastic sleeve like the one I made for the USS Enterprise from plastic stock on Ray Seppala's suggestion. It'll go inside the fuselage to take the brass stand before I fit the replacement belly section. Lots of surgery required on the #2 and #3 engine fairings for the EWPS resin bits, the nose for the IRDS bits and wingtip replacements. Then it'll be time for some seam sealing...

• Like 12

:popcorn: :D

Seeing other P-3s being built has me wanting to start another, I also want to do an AP-3C (EW) as well. I only have the original HH AP-3C conversion but will scratch build the EW specific bits.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Will scratch build the EW specific bits.

I probably could've and should've done that but I'm too lazy! There's a fair bit of work either way. I've seen some of your other P-3s, Ray - I'm sure scratchbuilding won't be an issue!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

:popcorn: :D

Seeing other P-3s being built has me wanting to start another, I also want to do an AP-3C (EW) as well. I only have the original HH AP-3C conversion but will scratch build the EW specific bits.

And me adding another kit to the wish list.

AW

3 hours ago, Bell209 said:

I

I probably could've and should've done that but I'm too lazy! There's a fair bit of work either way. I've seen some of your other P-3s, Ray - I'm sure scratchbuilding won't be an issue!

Yep not an issue, I had already started on them for my son who wanted to have a go at building a EW Bird. Got some good gen on the sizes of the new lumps as I was going along. Alas those parts are in Adelaide so I will have to make myself another set. The other issue is I am running out of P-3 kits, down to the last 5! :D

Very interested in this build & the work of Romeo Alpha Yankee on the RAAF P3's - I  have a very dusty one hanging from the ceiling in my study that I often think should get some TLC and an upgrade.

CJP

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 9:57 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Now look what you have done Rob! :D

You started it! 🤣

Here's what the stand support looks like fitted:

51923200569_c94752c7a6_b.jpg

I'll be using a brass rod like the one shown inserted into a timber stand eventually. A long way to go before we get there, though...

• Like 3

So far I've removed the aft Main Landing Gear fairings and fitted the Hamilton Hobbies resin replacements, fitted the sonobuoy replacement panel (which has quite a few pinholes I've filled with epoxy resin), made a new main gear door from brass sheet and fitted it and spent a lot of time filling, sanding and shaping; particularly where the wing pylons were and along the poor fuselage joins (my fault decades ago).

51922866256_7064148dca_b.jpg

I took this photo last night after gluing in place, so there's been no seam filling done as yet.

I also butchered an old ESCI 1/48 Mirage IIIC tailcone into shape to represent the IRDS turret fairing under the nose as the original kit part was a completely different camera arrangement.

51921893602_dbf25c4d8e_b.jpg

More filling and shaping to do on it before I'm done. I'll model it with the IRDS turret deployed.

I've knocked a few drain masts and antenna off along the way but they'll be replaced later. I need to find a replacement pitot tube for the starboard side, too as I knocked that off when I was stripping the model and can't find it. Got to close the nose gear doors and make a replacement for the bottom of the cabin door, too. I've popped most of the windows out for painting and will make some new flat ones as the old ones are rather glue-affected.

• Like 4

The inevitable happened last night - I snapped the MAD Boom off. It's been broken before, so I knew I'd do it at some time. I repaired it with epoxy glue and a brass reinforcement rod - hopefully that's the last time!

The windscreen also had to come out, as the co-pilot's seat had come loose. I took the opportunity to try to source some crew for the Flight Station, as it looked odd without anyone in the seats while it was airborne. My Airfix Sunderland offered up the Flight Engineer as it's really flashy and doesn't quite look like a modern RAAF aircrew figure. He'll be alright in the middle seat. The Italeri Dakota sacrificed her crew for pilots. All three figures needed their legs cut and repositioned to fit. I suspect they'll lose their feet, too. I'm not too concerned about their final appearance, as long as they look something like the way they should. You can't see too well through the windscreen, anyway. The windscreen coming out was also fortunate in that I need to drill the photo window out on the port side behind the pilot's window, too and the scrap plastic will be easy to remove now..

• Like 3

A bit more work over the weekend. Lots of filling and sanding (as expected) and I scratchbuilt the antenna pallet under the fuselage. After measuring A9-760's at Queensland Air Museum last week, I realised that the resin part in the ELINT conversion kit is not only not quite the right shape but it's also too large. The actual pallet is 540 x 540 x 28 mm, so I made one from plasticard in lieu. I also measured up the photo window behind the pilot's window (280 mm) and drilled a hole in the model to suit.

51922866866_50fefcde87_b.jpg

I finished up the crew, too. I am not a figure painter (as seen here!) but these three should suffice. The silver-haired gentleman is, of course, the Flight Engineer! All are wearing their Dave Clark headsets. They should be okay behind the clear plastic screen in the barely-visible-once-assembled Flight Station. The seat is the co-pilot's which came loose during my work and resulted in the removal of the windscreen, allowing me to fit the crew figures (and size them up for their seats).

51921893762_c99eb3b50f_b.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This is really an expert effort at overhaul!

I don't know about that but thanks, anyway!

11 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Has the RAAF retired all of its Orions and reached FOC with the P-8?

No, the two ELINT aircraft are still flying. Not sure about FOC for the P-8A but they're certainly being used in a range of tasks, including the bushfire assistance earlier this year. They run side-by-side in development with the US Navy aircraft.

• Like 1

Just now, busnproplinerfan said:

Nice that the paint came off so well.

Yeah, a couple of applications of oven cleaner (the stuff that strips the pigment from your hands!) and some agitation with an old toothbrush and off it came.

2 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Nice that your saving it, most people would throw it in the garbage.

Thanks, I have another one in the stash that will be a standard AP-3C on the ground in 11SQN markings. I wanted a flying one for my desk and I got sick of seeing this one in the cabinet in its previous sad state.

• Like 1

I usually have good luck with easy off oven cleaner. One time it left a white residue and etched the plastic a bit, looked like aluminum corrosion. Maybe bad can, tried the hand spray bottle and it was fine. I have more fun restoring old models like this than building them from new.

• Like 1

Co-pilot's seat and all the crew are in.

51922961318_d6db633029_b.jpg

51923200654_b8cc84bf4b_b.jpg

51922867106_b3e785eed4_b.jpg

Behind the windscreen they should do the job well enough. I need to tidy up the instrument combing a bit before refitting the windscreen and give the screen a Future bath, too.

Still working away on filling and sanding in the interim and I made two new VOR antennae to look more like these.

51942868193_d6eef8cf06_b.jpg

• Like 2

First coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 on to see how we're travelling before adding the multitude of antennae.

51921893982_c8c7063bd2_b.jpg

Not too bad; just a few details to tidy up. I'm going to remake the antennae pallet underneath, too as I didn't quite have the size or shape right. I've primed the spinners and prop blades and coated the clear parts in Future, too.

• Like 7

More work. I decided to add a few bits and bobs to the underside last night. This is by no means all of the antennae which need placing on the underside but is is all of the larger 'shark fin' antennae. I used the kit-supplied items as they have the base included but they're very flashy. I remade the antenna pallet for the six smaller antennae on the belly and drilled the fuel tank vent in the side, too.

51921893102_4cb713141f_b.jpg

I also made up the SATCOM antennae for the roofline (I'm pretty sure that's what they are). I used the kit parts for the horizontal elements but made the vertical elements from sheet styrene. They're drying in my mini-vice at the moment. The IRDS turret is also fitted to the nose as it will be grey, too. I filed a few flat spots on the front to accept the reflective film I'll put on there after painting. Just trying to work out what stays and what goes on the 

Need to get a move on with the base, too...

• Like 4