Hello from the Mistake-0n-The-Lake (Cleveland, OH)

BDINO

Hello! My actual name is Barney (no jokes please) and I currently live in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I came back to modeling a few years ago, but didn't get serious about it until last fall. I build, primarily, 1/48 inter-war and early WW2. Currently, there is nothing on the bench as we are packing to move in the next couple of months. (However, before this whole Zombie Virus thing and the insanity of the move (56 change of address) I had a P-36, Cr-42, and a Wildcat under construction. 

My history is nothing I consider special. I served in the US Army for 6.5 years and the USAF 25.5 years. I was deployed multiple times (to the Sandbox 2X) and was indeed fortunate to see 40 countries. I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall from 1977-1981. I have a lovely wife and 4 stepchildren as well as three children and three grandchildren of my own.

After Desert Storm I was RIF'd (Reduction in Force)(made redundant) and decided to return to university to study Education. I taught 19 years (History & Government, mostly) in poor rural and inner-city systems. I left teaching in 2015 and worked for the US Navy for four years as a financial analyst. In August of 2019 I retired, but do work one or two days a week as a substitute teacher. 

I build for my own enjoyment and not for competition and am generally easy going, but do get mildly upset with rivet counters and others of that type. Suggestions and advice, I have no problem with, however, critics are not welcome in my house. If you really have a problem, IM me. 

• Like 6

Welcome aboard!  Glad to have you back in the modeling world!  I build 1/72 myself, but the subjects on your plate look really inviting.  Good for you with becoming a teacher--really tough, important work.  As an aside, I remember the RIF of 1992, as I had just arrived at my first assignment as a 2LT--so sorry you got caught up in it.  Rather surprised they were still intaking new officers at that point, but oh well. 

Hello and wrlcome to the forum.I really enjoy visiting the Cleveland area,great folks.Been yo couple of Indian games.Enjoy your time here.

On 7/5/2020 at 9:31 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Welcome aboard!  Glad to have you back in the modeling world!  I build 1/72 myself, but the subjects on your plate look really inviting.  Good for you with becoming a teacher--really tough, important work.  As an aside, I remember the RIF of 1992, as I had just arrived at my first assignment as a 2LT--so sorry you got caught up in it.  Rather surprised they were still intaking new officers at that point, but oh well. 

I was a Captain who had just been selected for Major. The NG decided they wanted a local in my slot and I got RIFd. It all worked out and the AG that RIFd was let go 6 months later

Edited by BDINO

Hello Barney...:post1: from another Great city on the Great lakes Chicago. I salute your service and teaching careers. Please feel free to ask questions or chat if you need anything. Myself am mostly a WW2 &

Cold-war aircraft, occasional Armor and sci-fi builder. In the scale between 1/32 - 1/72. 

Dennis

• 1 year later...

I am finally back...

Shortened story: Packed everything away as house was up for sale. House didn't sell. Most stuff stayed in storage as we then proceeded to build and extension so that the cripple (me!) wouldn't have to climb stairs 38 times a day to pee (not that many, but y'all know what I mean). Finally got stuff back into the Man Closet and got set up... Had heart attack. (Yuck) I took over a year for me to recover (lots of little crap) and now I have started smearing glue and using all the wrong color paints. 

I picked p several of the ARMA kits (just lovely) and am working on a Hurricane II... and an OLD monogram/revell Corsair.... and looking for Zinc Chromate green that looks like Zinc Chromate Green... 

HAppy 4th to everybody on this side of the pond... 

• Like 3

Gidday Barney, welcome back. I'm sorry to here of your heart attack but am glad you have recovered. As for your other medical issue regarding the stairs, believe me I understand that. (Not a case of 'Been there, done that'. More like 'Am there, doing that.') 🙂 At least I don't have stairs to worry about. I also understand what a kick in the guts being RIF'd can be. After working for 25 years for Telstra here I was made MIR - Management Induced Redundant - twenty years ago yesterday. I became a school cleaner instead of teacher, for 19 years, retired this Easter. I think you've done very well getting your life back together.

Regarding models, I'm into 1/600 scale ships myself but also browse other sections so hopefully will see some of your work. And while I like to be as accurate as I can within my limited ability I'm not a rivet counter.     Regards, Jeff.

4 hours ago, BDINO said:

I am finally back...

Shortened story: Packed everything away as house was up for sale. House didn't sell. Most stuff stayed in storage as we then proceeded to build and extension so that the cripple (me!) wouldn't have to climb stairs 38 times a day to pee (not that many, but y'all know what I mean). Finally got stuff back into the Man Closet and got set up... Had heart attack. (Yuck) I took over a year for me to recover (lots of little crap) and now I have started smearing glue and using all the wrong color paints. 

I picked p several of the ARMA kits (just lovely) and am working on a Hurricane II... and an OLD monogram/revell Corsair.... and looking for Zinc Chromate green that looks like Zinc Chromate Green... 

HAppy 4th to everybody on this side of the pond... 

Sorry to hear about the Heart issues, happy to hear your back at chopping up plastic.