1/48 Tamiya Mk V Tropical Spitfire- A rather accidental build!

Hi Folks, 

As always i hope we are all keeping well. 

I wasn't going to do this build as a WIP but what the heck, i haven't done one for a while and it will be nice to get back into the swing of doing one. Now, this build came about as something of an accident- i didn't have this kit in the stash not being a huge fan of the spit (i'm running and ducking for cover) i didn't think i would ever build one again, but here we are. 

So, how did this build come about and what is he on about you might ask.

Well, 2 years ago as part of the Airfix golden years group build i built the 24th Scale Mk V Spitfire in the markings of a Malta bird from 1942. She was Dark grey with Azure undersides and brush painted. She had been (note the use of had) sitting on top of my display cabinet quite happily until the past few weeks when i had a look and thought i could refurb her as my skills had improved somewhat since that time. It started off well, the paint was being stripped, she was being sanded down and i had sorted all the engine covers filled and sanded to get them looking smart. And then the undercarriage snapped and collapsed. Nightmare. Basically, this meant i couldn't display her as she had been and has since been donated to my 6 year old to fly around the house. If you know this kit you will know the undercarriage is ridiculous!

This is how she looked in better times: 

imageproxy-2.jpg

imageproxy-3.jpg

imageproxy-4.jpg

I had purchased the paint to do her up in desert colours and rather than waste them decided what better way to use them than start a new kit. So i duly ordered one (with the wifes permission of course!) and here we are: 

20200705-233723.jpg

I may also have ordered a bit of aftermarket... 

20200705-233802.jpg

Shes a project. 

Now i know she might not be a new kit or the best shape and all that, but honestly i wanted to go all in and have a proper crack at producing a decent Spit. The Eduard PE is very thorough and some serious work is needed in removing bits and bobs from the airframe and overall: 

20200705-233841.jpg

20200705-233850.jpg

Ive made a start this evening and this is where i am at- the glue is drying so this isnt its final state as yet, some clean up will be done when everything has dried. 

20200705-233919.jpg

20200705-233925.jpg

20200705-233935.jpg

This one will be finished as AN-T of 417 Squadron RCAF based around North Africa. I will make my own masks for the markings and will spray them on. Being a bit vain with this build as fell in love with the pic when i was kid and its stuck with me ever since. 

Probably be a long build as will be taking my time with this one but hopefully i can produce something fairly decent. 

One things im unsure of as yet, and happy for any pointers on this, is whether to rivet the airframe or not. Spitfires obviously have rivets but they can barely be seen and in a quandry as to whether to leave as is or not. As i say, any pointers gratefully received. 

Sorry for the ramble, i needed to set the scene 🙂 

Cheers folks

Ant 

• Like 9

Ooooooooo nice project, good luck with your build, the Famous kit builds up nicely although their decals are a bit on the thick side.  Great start so far.  At risk of getting you in trouble with SWMBO, the 48th scale Airfix Vb is a very nice Kit too and would recommend that too. Just done a mkVb tropical in Malta scheme and really enjoyed it.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/07/2020 at 07:53, bigbadbadge said:

Ooooooooo nice project, good luck with your build, the Famous kit builds up nicely although their decals are a bit on the thick side.  Great start so far.  At risk of getting you in trouble with SWMBO, the 48th scale Airfix Vb is a very nice Kit too and would recommend that too. Just done a mkVb tropical in Malta scheme and really enjoyed it.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris, 

HUGE apologies for not acknowledging your post sooner, ive missed it completely! I have heard good things re the Airfix kit but couldnt find one knocking around so plumped for the Tamiya Kit instead. Re the decals, this one, like many of my builds recently, ive sprayed the markings on having made the masks myself. I enjoy painting the markings on WW2 aircraft and do it whenever i can. 

Some news on the build, its in the advanced stages with weathering and bits and pieces to be completed. I started taking photos and meant to provide updates but got lost in the build and found taking photos was sapping the enthusiasm somewhat. Ill post some pictures of current state of play soon, along with some notes of the build if anyone has any interest? 

• Like 1

So, SWMBO has informed me I'm not needed to help the business this evening so I get some bench time 😁

Not one for needing to be told twice, I've got some photos of the current state of affairs 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Model was primed using mr surfacer 1500 grey, 2 coats needed due to tidying up and then mr finishing surfacer black over that. 

Mottled using white and grey topside and underside and with a touch of brown on the underside. 

Paints were mr color azure, middlestone and dark earth. The middlestone was a nightmare to spray, really thick even when thinned and clogged the airbrush a few times. Got there in the end though and it settled well in the end. 

I made the masks for the markings and these were sprayed using tamiya and mr aqueous acrylics which I much prefer to the laquers. 

She will be getting a flat coat tonight ready for the decals which will just be the stencils and then it's on with the weathering. 

Hopefully from here on in there will be more photos. 

Cheers chaps 

• Like 5

Very nice, the modern day 417 Sqdn has a large image in the drinking mess of their Spits flying over Africa. I served in 416 & 418 Squadrons, I missed the number in between. 😀 Several of my buddies were 417, so I visited often

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks absolutely lovely,  the markings came out very well.  I have never really painted my own , may have to try one day.

Great work

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris. Like anything it takes practice but worth it in the end. 

• Like 1

Hi guys 

Been a while since I've been able to get some work done but have managed to squeeze in a few hours. 

First off I flat coated the whole model rather than gloss coated. Reason being that these spits got some serious weathering and the flat coat would be a better surface for me to weather on. 

Next up was to add the few stencils that tamiya provides. The decals were thick and horrible and typical tamiya. I've got them down the best I can. With that, another flat over the decals and weathering. 

Flory dark dirt slathered on, left to dry and wiped off. Pretty happy so far, oils next. 

Here's the decals: 

spacer.png

20200808-170222.jpg

All floried up

20200809-011944.jpg

20200809-012003.jpg

Gear too 

20200809-012017.jpg

20200809-111836.jpg

And with the wash removed. 

20200809-124839.jpg

20200809-124847.jpg

20200809-124856.jpg

I've also added some chrome onto the lights ready for the clear to go on. Thought it would add a nice effect. 

20200809-124923.jpg

Quite happy so far, looking forward to getting some oil work going. 

Working on the base for it too which you will have seen in the images. 

As ever, grateful for any thoughts and feedback. 

Cheers all 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, clive_t said:

Looks great! I think I shall have to give this Flory stuff a try.

Thanks Clive. 

I like the stuff a lot. If you mess up you just wipe it off with water and go again. Pretty fool proof really and you're safe in the knowledge of it does go wrong it's an easy fix 

Hi folks, 

The spit is done except for the antenna wire. Need to order some proper stuff as the super glue refuses to adhere to the invisible thread I use. 

Anyway, I'm going to add images in RFI but here's a shot for this thread. 

Apologies for the lack of updates throughout just couldn't find the motivation to keep taking pictures as I went . 

20200811-223915.jpg

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Looking very snazzy.  One would not presume you are not a fan!

Thanks john.