Shiny Shar.**********Finished****************

Evening folk's an out of blue entry from me,I was perusing e-bay and saw an original Matchbox Sea Harrier up for a fiver with a nice set of decal's so took

a punt and got it just now,I did one for the matchbox GB a few years ago but made a pigs ear of it in the all gray Falklands scheme,this one will be in the 

high viz EDSG over White scheme,pictures to follow.

• Like 8

Evening folk's, kit arrived today it was great to see the old style box again,parts fine and decals look good.All for a fiver.

20200708_165618

Painted the fan and cockpit interior tonight but replaced the seat with a spare with a bit more shape to it.

20200708_173533

As you can see I filled the open louvres and sanded them smooth here she is after about an hour spent.

20200708_193516

• Like 13

Thats a great kit for a fiver, the only disappointment is not requiring sunglasses due to the wild colour plastics that matchbox were famous for.

However yours will make it much easier to paint in fact looking at the colours you wouldn't need to paint it at all when we were nippers ! Just build and pop the decals on down stairs for Tea and Dr Who 😁

• Haha 4

Hi folks,what a total melt(in the words of Danny Dyer),I thought the louvres opened and shut(they may well do?) but all the photos I looked at say no.

Thankfully I used flexi filler so a cotton bud and hot water was an easy fix for removal so major embarrassment avoided! sprayed the underside white

but I'm not adding the wings until the fuselage is painted as Harrier's undersides always cause me issues for some reason.

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Stick the pilot in and build it in-flight to use that sexy blue stand Steve :D 

She's wheel's down Col but I'll do a box shot with her on the stand! Progress as of today.

20200711_092618

• Like 5

Looks like it's going together very well. From a nostalgia perspective it's great and that Beaties sticker brings back many memories of buying Subbuteo teams in Manchester in the early 80's. I mainly bought kits from local newsagents back then.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Filler said:

Looks like it's going together very well.

It's going well Filler and only needs a final thinned brush coat on the wing/fuselage line now.

20200711_111703

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Looking good. I like that nice sharp demarcation line. 

Andy

Cheer's Andy.

39 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

That’s looking good Steve, got to be happy with her. 

Thank's HB yes Matchbox Harrier's  are  not very high on modeller's wish lists for obvious reasons but they do deserve to be built,the main decals were

a bit temperamental but pleased with it so far.

20200711_213130

• Like 7

Matchbox .. indeed. I remember getting this kit as a child at Xmas. We couldn't afford any enamels so it got painted in a sort for metallic dark green. This was the only enamel we had which my dad used to paint his fishing floats with! Be nice to think it may get dug out of whichever land fill it ended up in by a sort of Time Team programme dig in 500 years time and cause all sorts of chaos amongst their experts!  Nice model Steve. The box design really is quite comfortingly  nostalgic retro too! Love it

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Matchbox .. indeed. I remember getting this kit as a child at Xmas. We couldn't afford any enamels so it got painted in a sort for metallic dark green. This was the only enamel we had which my dad used to paint his fishing floats with! Be nice to think it may get dug out of whichever land fill it ended up in by a sort of Time Team programme dig in 500 years time and cause all sorts of chaos amongst their experts!  Nice model Steve. The box design really is quite comfortingly  nostalgic retro too! Love it

Ha ha,I wonder what treasure's the occupant's of my old childhood home have dug up over the year's? a lot of plastic planes and a good few Matchbox cars were lost

in the back garden.

4 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Ha ha,I wonder what treasure's the occupant's of my old childhood home have dug up over the year's? a lot of plastic planes and a good few Matchbox cars were lost

in the back garden.

That's a nice thought Steve.I think there will be a few Airfix 1:32 German soldiers in my childhood home garden. I found a flat 'tin' pre WW1 british infantryman figure in my Victorian house's garden. Also about 30+ .303 live cartridges when i was digging.My other half  called the police and eventually the Royal Logistics Corp turned up, searched the garden carefully and took them away for disposal. Not sure how they got there in the first place but ( they were stamped 1943 and 1944) most likely a returned soldier's discarded ammunition.

Even better secreted under the eaves i found a WW2 Luftwaffe NCO's Belt buckle in aluminium with the leather belt tail with the manufacturers markings on it. This must have an amazing story behind it , if only it could 'talk'.  I was offered $400 for it by a US collector  about 10 years ago but i think i'll keep it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Even better secreted under the eaves i found a WW2 Luftwaffe NCO's Belt buckle in aluminium with the leather belt tail with the manufacturers markings on it. This must have an amazing story behind it , if only it could 'talk'.  I was offered $400 for it by a US collector  about 10 years ago but i think i'll keep it. 

Ha thank God it wasn't a WW2 luftwaffe pilot hiding in the loft! Best find I got was when about 12 or 13 they were demolishing old houses in the area and

of course they were ideal playgrounds for us kids in a cupboard I found a big  khaki bound book with gilt edged pages titled War with the Boers,all the photo

pages were protected by paper lace published in 1904 it got lost somewhere when I left home.

Steve, That's a nice book.

I always keep my eyes out for house clearances and skips for stuff like that.

Have picked up some weird stuff over the years. A postcard album from a young girl living in London but holidaying in Southwold Suffolk.. had some amazing local views from before WW1 and she kept the album up until late 1939 ( i have a connection to the town of Southwold).   

i'm sure i would have accepted a Luftwaffe pilot in the loft without aclarity!  I wondered how the belt buckle got there.. was it war booty taken off a captured aircrew member? .

My mum's family has links with Sunderland ( my mum spent some time there as child during WW2 )

• Like 1

Hi folk's,more progress, canopy painted up nicely a few area's need tidying uo and a satin coat after the underside decal's applied then I'll

drop the seat in and she's done.

20200715_200021

• Like 8