Supermarine Spitfire Mk.22

Trying to sneak another one in ahead of the deadline

50080241946_d1d24115f9_b.jpg

Since @PeterB already got the camo scheme covered I’ll try and do it in one of the high speed silver race finishes as per box art

First things first, cockpit innards painted, addition of the circular headrest and fuselage halves sandwiched together. Bit of a sod trying to get the cockpit frame aligned neatly as the recesses where it was meant to sit don’t give a really positive seating.

50080241741_7eaa39007d_b.jpg

Sight still to be touched up but good to get something together

A bit more work on sub assemblies and then I can attach the wings and get it on the path of looking Spitfire-like

50080493542_06f9751434_b.jpg

A pretty painless build up to this point... until I realise that in posting off spare transparent bits to another member I’ve gone and left myself without the wingtip lights. So I’ve glued on a couple of chunks of clear sprue that I’ll have to let set till tomorrow and then file and sand to shape. Silly move that really

50080493517_fa3c553f91_b.jpg

• Like 3

Hi,

I will probably end up with the same problem with the wingtip lights as I am bound to drop the little blighters, and the chance of finding them on the floor is just about nil! As there are already around 8 Mk22 in the GB then go for whatever colour scheme you want - duplication is allowed. I have gone for the 613 City of Manchester scheme but the kit has decs for a camo machine from 73 Squad as well if you prefer, though as I said in my thread I think the grey codes are wrong!

Pete

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PeterB said:

duplication is allowed

I try to avoid a direct like-for-like comparisons as I invariably come off looking like I assembled my model in the dark, wearing boxing gloves and painted it with a 2” brush

• Haha 2

Getting there...

As it stood at the start of play today. Some paint on but generally looking a bit sorry

50087056223_1602759089_b.jpg

Canopy was a pain in the proverbial to fit and required a lot of filing away at the cockpit sides (& even then I’m not happy with it and how much filler was needed to seal the edge). Anyhoo it is stuck down good and proper now

As it is now - honestly there are two different metallics for the engine forward versus the rest but the difference in hue and gloss doesn’t show up well in the photo. All gluing is at an end (as long as I don’t knock any bits off). There are a couple of further lumps that the instructions would have me add but as I can see them in photos of the real one and I don’t like the look of them I can sling them in the bin with barely a token pang from my conscience.

50087868647_cb1069ce7e_b.jpg

Almost looks Spitfire like and ready to decal

• Like 2

A couple of hours today spent adding stickers. There are a couple of placement clashes where race numbers interfere with stencils so there are a couple where I just relocated a bit to somewhere plausible

50090199777_95b2c5ac38_b.jpg

50089388613_f603e94e1f_b.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/7/2020 at 7:26 PM, LostCosmonauts said:

There are a couple of further lumps that the instructions would have me add but as I can see them in photos of the real one and I don’t like the look of them I can sling them in the bin with barely a token pang from my conscience.

Ye Gods - that was quick - 3 days to do what has taken me 2 months! I guess the bits in question are the bump on top of the cowing and the one underneath that you are told to add a 2mm length of rod to - possibly IFF aerial? Have not got round to adding them yet either, and worried about your problem with the ruddy canopy. Hope mine goes on better, but not going to hold my breath as they say.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

7 hours ago, PeterB said:

Ye Gods - that was quick - 3 days to do what has taken me 2 months!

The benefit of a simple scheme and being retired with nowt else really to do and being able to tackle it in big uninterrupted wodges of time.

You’re right on the identifying the extra bumps I slung put. Having had a long look at https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1035769/ and other pictures of the plane in question to try and figure out the proper placement I couldn’t see them at all. If that is indeed an IFF aerial (good thinking) then it’d make sense for it not to be on a non-service race plane

Good luck with the canopy. Maybe my fault but just couldn’t get it to sit down correctly behind the cockpit. My filing was effectively just narrowing it a little where the rails for it to slide back would have been. Hope yours fits without such fettling

Hi,

Well I too am retired so that's no excuse! Just a bit weary and trying to do too many kits - so of course  I am now about to start another GB - totally crackers! Incidentally I have now read that the bump and aerial underneath was for the Rebecca system not IFF - the Seafire 47 I am building has an aerial under one of the wings for IFF so maybe the 22 should have as well?

You were rightt about the canopy - lousy fit so some modification in hand. How did you get on with the prop - did you use the kit one? I could not get the ruddy thing to go together so replaced it.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

How did you get on with the prop - did you use the kit one? I could not get the ruddy thing to go together so replaced it.

Kit prop but I had to sand the leading and trailing edges a smidge to get the spinner to fit over it. Was just the wrong side of snug 

• Like 1