My old man's a Jug man.

Hi all,

This is a model that has been a long time in the making, not so much the kit but the research. My dad never recorded the full details of any of the Thunderbolts he flew in Burma,(or any others for that matter) which ment making an accurate model a very tricky prospect, but I've now got copys of the ORB's and Sqn records of 79 and 34 Sqn's for the time he was with them. I now have full details of all but one of his T-Bolts, the one missing is the last one he flew out of Burma, all I know is it was coded 'B'. Any way back to this one, I was trying to decide which one to build, so I plumped for this one, as you will see from the log book entry it's the one he was flying when V-J day was declared. It's the Tamiya kit, brush painted which was a bit of a chalang as I wanted to make it look well worn and tatty. 

3yaZ1d.jpg

3yakvN.jpg

3yaJOO.jpg

3yaWcq.jpg

3yaLKm.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

• Like 33

Great model! Great story behind the model and being able to see the log book entry is a genuine treat! Hats off to you for sharing this and to your dad for his service in the RAF!

• Thanks 1

Lovely job John and MASSIVE respect to your Dad,........ he my even have flown support to my Grandad and Alison`s Grandad down below in the jungle. He would be very proud of you for building one of his Jug`s mate,

All the best

Tony

• Like 2

On 7/5/2020 at 7:32 PM, SAT69 said:

Great model! Great story behind the model and being able to see the log book entry is a genuine treat! Hats off to you for sharing this and to your dad for his service in the RAF!

Thanks, it's been a long jury, trying to track down the right aircraft, Next one up will be a silver 79 Sqn one.

John

On 7/5/2020 at 7:45 PM, Peter W said:

Do like the P-47 in that scheme and lovely personal touch to the build too.

Pete

Thanks Pete, the scheme was a challenge, my dad always said the Thunderbolts he flew in Burma were Green and Grey, but after reading up on it and seeing the colour film of 79 Sqn T-bolts and seeing how badly faded the brown is with the original grey showing through, I think he was just miss remembering them. 

John 

On 7/6/2020 at 1:07 AM, tonyot said:

Lovely job John and MASSIVE respect to your Dad,........ he my even have flown support to my Grandad and Alison`s Grandad down below in the jungle. He would be very proud of you for building one of his Jug`s mate,

All the best

Tony

Thanks Tony, for your help and guidance too, It's good to think that we could be connected in some way over time, I'm sure their path's would have crossed at some point.

John     

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 6:09 AM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Excellent model and fantastic to see the log book! 

Thanks, I'm lucky I still have both of his log books, it's just a shame he didn't record more details about the aircraft he was flying!

John 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Thanks Tony, for your help and guidance too, It's good to think that we could be connected in some way over time, I'm sure their path's would have crossed at some point.

John     

No worries mate,..... I didn`t do much, just wish I could have helped more. Yeah it would be nice,...... but they all fought in the same war one against the same enemy and that is enough,..... the Forgotten Army, Air Force & Navy.

All the best bud,

Tony

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 5:55 AM, Cookenbacher said:

Fantastic model, very realistic result and a wonderful tribute.

Thanks, it's a shame he wasn't around to see it. 

John

7 hours ago, F-32 said:

Superb :clap:

Thanks F.32 it was a fun build

John

• Like 1