Trumpeter 1/35 Stryker ESV + LWMR/SOB

Ok, so time to build something complicated. Trumpeter Stryker Engineer vehicle with light weight mine roller (Bulldozer blade option as well). Photos

50079300881_c40063c662_b.jpg

50079300786_51432a45cd_b.jpg

• Like 7

no photos this evening but well underway. Running gear done, lower hull nearly all finished (need to do the rear plate & door - necessitated doing the rear bustle early to ensure the slots I had to open up were sufficient. Some very nice casting and, so far, some nice positive fitting...

photos tomorrow

Thanks all... limited painting time means I am building more in the evenings. Type 89 & M3A1 now waiting for paint (maybe primer his weekend)

Lower front glacis and drive train done....

50085255298_04fe4df1b3_b.jpg

50086075942_6f39ebaac0_b.jpg

• Like 4

And the rear. The rear panel is made up of the door (plus locking mechanism) , the ramp and the glacis - tempting me to get the Stryker mortar carrier to have the interior

50089619722_9289508dd2_b.jpg

50088803813_4819e0588d_b.jpg

50089380436_5543fbaacc_b.jpg

• Like 5

About 5 hours work on the upper hull (just placed). Like the way this goes together, lots of detail t goes together quite nicely

50104283073_cc03df0521_b.jpg

50104861431_7318c23521_b.jpg

50104861116_8f70c9af80_b.jpg

50104282748_2e388b9626_b.jpg

50105093102_db339574d1_b.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Rob, looking good and coming along a pace. The more I see of these Stryker variants the more appealing they become, Lloyd (Blackmax) did a couple a little while ago.

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

first bench session after a week away - finished the SOB (straight bulldozer blade - some fiddly pins but it is articulated) which wont be mounted but will be painted up, and started on the light-weight mine roller....

50163299211_2a5e1e386e_b.jpg

50162761103_aa3c2c24dc_b.jpg

50162760783_203a2d35f9_b.jpg

50163547022_f69a06ff3e_b.jpg

50163298851_7711e44de0_b.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

progress on the rollers. Very detailed and some small pins to allow it all to articulate but feels fairly solid. Building is getting close to an end then it will be on to painting

50243635642_3b2521986f_b.jpg

50243428696_63269825cf_b.jpg

50242790528_9f459e591a_b.jpg

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Hamden said:

That's coming together nicely Rob looking forward to seeing this in paint now

Another digital scheme?

Roger

as much as every one (including my wife which is amazing) likes my digital scheme, this one will be standard all over NATO green I am afraid... maybe if I build another I would risk it BUT masking this over all the bumps and tie-down points would be a nightmare

• Like 1

Hi Rob 

looking good so far bud.....the sheer level of detail on that exterior is an absolute gift for the weatherer.......that would take me a month just to apply the weathering alone.....should be a fantastic looking monster when you get the paint on

Steve

• Like 1

Just now, M3talpig said:

Hi Rob 

looking good so far bud.....the sheer level of detail on that exterior is an absolute gift for the weatherer.......that would take me a month just to apply the weathering alone.....should be a fantastic looking monster when you get the paint on

Steve

yeah the weathering is the part that has me worried.... 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

yeah the weathering is the part that has me worried.... 

Start simple.....as your doing a one colour scheme .....

Modulation of base colour ...IE- base colour with lighter and darker shades on various panels....general rule of thumb lighter on top and darker on underside. Again keep it subtle not too light not too dark.

Then a light dry brush to lift high detail...base colour with white added ...make it subtle though...you can do this with different colours that compliment the base shade also like... khaki, olive and the like......do this before wash or panel lining as doing it after will cause the light shade to be muddied by the oil in the panel lining. 

Next ...panel lining with a dark brown or raw umber wash around all the details, oils are excellent for this as you can blend and remove as much or little as required using a dampened (with white spirit) brush

then chipping and wear...a good fine pointed brush if you want ultimate control over where and how much...or if you don't mind the randomness a small piece of torn sponge or both always work to compliment each other.Use a very light shade of the base colour and do the first layer of chips then a dark grey and repeat on the inside of the first layer ..this gives a lovely 3D effect to the chips

A little metalizing of high contact points like grab handles tie down points high traffic areas of the panels and access points for regular maintenance...and remember with armour plate, it's almost always welded with stainless rods as such weld beads are seldom seen rusted but do look very nice highlighted with a soft lead from a B6 pencil

Oil- grease streaks around hubs and points of the chassis that would be kept lubricated especially on wheeled vehicles as there are grease nipples (oohh err missus) to keep the hub bearings in tip top condition

Rust and dirt streaks... only on steel vehicles for rust ....mix up different shades to keep thing interesting old rust is almost brown new rust and rust that has collected in corners and dips will be very orange and quite striking

Dirt build up in hard to access areas around the chassis

Then make up your mind the terrain the vehicle operated on and add the dirt to reflect that...or go for the "returned from operation and just got washed look" IE no heavy dirt just the above ^

And pastels or pigments can add a very convincing dusty look if that's what your after

Then do the detail painting ...tools ,stowage, tarps and such

Hope that helps Rob and that i haven't overstepped my bounds.......this would honestly be the perfect model to get to grips with some weathering.

Edited by M3talpig
  • Like 3