Pilot/Crew Oxygen Bottle/Cylinder Colours

Ray_W

While building my Corsair I wondered about oxygen bottle colours on US Navy aircraft. I've seen some represent it as yellow. I've seen images of US Bomber crew portable bottles in like a lime green. Any standards? Primary source info? 

Further, if you follow any of my builds, I always have great interest in the oxygen system. You can model some quite interesting prototypical hosing and other paraphernalia that really adds interest to the cockpit. Oxygen cylinder and system equipment colours invariably come into it.  I am very happy for any other info you can share. For example, we know the oxygen bottle in the Spitfire was black. 

Hope you can help.

Ray

Although considerably later than the Corsair the oxygen bottles on the Boeing 707 were dark green (not as dark as Brunswick green). As the design/specification of such things tended to change slowly in those days, there is a reasonable chance that Boeing were just continuing with an existing standard.

• Thanks 1

Hello Ray

Probably old news to you, but still ... In Soviet Union usually everything in connection with oxygen was blue. The same holds for Germany during WWII: oxygen bottles were blue with white markings. There were exceptions like Ju 87 dive-bombers, which had spherical liquid oxygen reservoirs in the wings. Unfortunately, I have no idea about the colour. Cheers

Jure

• Thanks 1

On 05/07/2020 at 15:55, Ray_W said:

Any standards? Primary source info? 

this is a @Dana Bell  question. He'd be able to answer both of those,  If he doesn't see the notification and chip in,  I'd say drop him a PM.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Here is a photo of one of 24 Do 215 oxygen bottles.

Dear Jure,

Thank you. Appears to be a much brighter blue than I expected.

Ray

Hello

It is probably natural metal of the bottle showing through the paint. Also, using flash while taking this photo did not help either. Blue paint on the vent comes closer to what it should look like as it is slightly darker and almost dull (without a metal shine). Cheers

Jure