F-35 loadout for ANG bird

Looking for something fairly simple but representative for a loadout for an F-35 of an ANG unit. 

Was thinking possibly one GBU under each wing, like maybe a GBU-12 and a -38. 

Maybe a single AIM-9X on an outboard, thinking port/left? 

Maybe a single AIM-120 in an internal bay, the other one empty?  

In other words, not loaded for bear, but not just for display either.

What would you do?

I'm not sure how much RAF procedures differ from those used by the USAF/ANG but I'd suggest a weapons load of one or two GBU-12s perhaps to represent a weapons delivery "training trip" to the range ?  

• Like 1

Much more than GBU-12 (2 INTERNAL  +max 4 external) or GBU-31 on same stations  plus Amraams (2 internal) plus 2 Sidewinders is curently not possible.

Most if the time they all fly clean...

• Like 1

I may not understand the distinction between the two that you see, but wouldn't an Air National Guard unit employ the same loadout that an active duty squadron would? In a crisis situation, flying side-by-side with active duty units, it would seem they'd fly the same missions and thus carry the same weapons loads.  Given that the Air Guard most probably trains the way the active duty units do, seems it would be appropriate to put an appropriate sized load of practice bombs under the wings. I tried to find evidence the F-35 carries either Triple Ejector Racks (TERs) or Multiple Ejector Racks (MERs) on the internet but came up empty handed, so I'm not sure how practice bombs would be carried.  Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I may not understand the distinction between the two that you see, but wouldn't an Air National Guard unit employ the same loadout that an active duty squadron would? In a crisis situation, flying side-by-side with active duty units, it would seem they'd fly the same missions and thus carry the same weapons loads.  Given that the Air Guard most probably trains the way the active duty units do, seems it would be appropriate to put an appropriate sized load of practice bombs under the wings. I tried to find evidence the F-35 carries either Triple Ejector Racks (TERs) or Multiple Ejector Racks (MERs) on the internet but came up empty handed, so I'm not sure how practice bombs would be carried.  Hope this helps.

I asked just in case....once in a while I find that one unit or similar just does things a little different or has a preference for something else....kinda like when I ran across a reference of two F-4 squadrons on a carrier in which one unit used wing drop tanks and the other only used centerline.  I realize same weaponry etc, but figured it might help to be specific.  Just in case.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

Most of the time they all fly clean...

That's exactly the problem; the unit received the F-35 last fall and while there are a MYRIAD of photos available, nothing has any weaponry visible at all.  None.  I briefly considered keeping this thing totally clean, but then that would undermine its intended purpose.  I don't want a max load, and probably not even a half load....but something simple.  Unless they are deployed to the Middle East for action before I build this.

Edited by Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy

Yeah...

They are all still only initial oos capable, if at all... weapons wise very limited...

Then simply put the sidewinder rails on, if you want with missikes loaded / live or inert...

At least that is the waty European one fly when on QRA in Iceland... :)

And if really opening the bay, add 2 GBU-12s... and 2 Amraam C models.. again, live or trainig ...

i'd also assume you need to add the Fresnel lense radar signature increasing device...

The F-35 has been in combat in Afghanistan with the US Marines. The US Airforce has taken their F-35A into combat in Iraq and Syria.

Israel of course was using it back in 18. Twin internal GBU and twin internal AIM-120 are normal load

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/pentagon-purchases-hundreds-more-f-35s-as-military-misses-its-combat-readiness-goal-for-the-jets-1.605093 

There are photos of beast mode load for a combat mission.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/f-35s-flex-in-beast-mode-on-middle-east-mission-2019-5?r=US&IR=T

A high impact stand off load would be internal carriage of 8 internal Small Diameter Bombs in 2 pallets & twin AIM-120 (1 pallet of 4 SDB & 1 AIM-120 per internal weapons bay). Below is old article, I don't believe it is in service w/ F-35 yet, other platforms do deliver it.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2014-07-16/raytheon-sdb-ii-f-15e-and-f-35-nears-low-rate-production

Marcus

• Like 1

I think you are over thinking this.

Consider the F-35 as an airplane with a bunch of weapons racks attached. There is a list of what it can carry on those racks. So it can and will carry all of those weapons as required for the mission or task at hand at any time.

Due to the stealth configuration, external pylon use probably is not going to be the first choice unless the target is in a safe area.  So you probably can hang whatever seems appropriate.

4 hours ago, mdauben said:

I was curious, would it be likely to see the F-35 carrying external ordnance (aka "beast mode") if the internal weapons bay was not already full?  

hmmm not fully sure what you mean, but maybe one day we will see it carrying fuel tanks in the bay.... maybe they find out that this stealthy thing is not all that great, and that low (relatively of course) drag fuel is worth more than having some 2 GBU-12s hidded away.....  we will see! kind of F-105/ Buccaneer  style.. (F-111 as well? , was there a bomb bay tank?)

42 minutes ago, exdraken said:

(F-111 as well? , was there a bomb bay tank?)

Did an internet search and found one site (see below) where the crew member claimed he'd done a four hour flight, no external fuel tanks and two auxiliary tanks in the bomb bay. Looked for photos and found none. The capability to use the tanks was there but I suspect they were rarely used. On the F-105, and I know this from personal experience, the 390 bomb bay fuel tank was standard equipment. I don't recall ever seeing one of our F-105Gs without that tank.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4595/flying-the-iconic-swing-wing-f-111-aardvark-at-the-height-of-the-cold-war

• Like 1

I think it makes sense to use external loads, especially during overseas deployments, to mask the aircraft’s signature.

That way, one retains the ‘stealthy’ element for when the big balloon goes up.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/gear-tech/why-the-f-35-would-want-to-make-itself-more-visible-to-radar?rebelltitem=2#rebelltitem2

Invisible_plane.jpg

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 5:59 PM, Blimpyboy said:

I think it makes sense to use external loads, especially during overseas deployments, to mask the aircraft’s signature.

That way, one retains the ‘stealthy’ element for when the big balloon goes up.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/gear-tech/why-the-f-35-would-want-to-make-itself-more-visible-to-radar?rebelltitem=2#rebelltitem2

Invisible_plane.jpg

Really doesn't require adding externals to mask the jet's signature.   They have small radar reflectors that the jet is often equipped with that do the same thing.  As far as the earlier post above about MER's and TER's being mounted, they are not.  At best, the only practice bombs the jet will carry will be laser guided training rounds and they will be mounted internally or on pylons.   Not sure anyone uses practice bombs anymore, chucking unguided, "dumb" bombs at a target is so 1980's....

7 hours ago, 11bravo said:

chucking unguided, "dumb" bombs at a target is so 1980's....

You kids today, and your digitals...

Accuracy be damned!

A-7E_Corsair_II_VA-87_dropping_bombs_197

58638eb16634b_large.jpg

api

That does it, BB’s off to listen to some cassettes on his Walkman and ponder his vintage.

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Blimpyboy said:

You kids today, and your digitals...

Accuracy be damned!

A-7E_Corsair_II_VA-87_dropping_bombs_197

58638eb16634b_large.jpg

api

That does it, BB’s off to listen to some cassettes on his Walkman and ponder his vintage.

I’ll fax you some pictures of other “real” jets!

• Haha 1