A7V tank colours

Doggy

Hi all. I've just got an Emhar a7v and I'm struggling to convert the FS numbers.

FS10219 and FS16118, it's just a brown and grey as far as I can tell.

I have most Tamiya paints and loads of MA, some revell and humbrol, I'm just looking for something close enough.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Hiya, Looking at my paint refs, AK have MC 248, a yellow ochre, MC249 a red/brown, and MC250 a dark green. Looks very similar to late WW2 German armour colours. MIG charts use 077, 078, and 079, again, ochre, red/brown, and green. If you google their websites you should be able to find colour swatches, and match them up to the paints you have in stock. Regards, Pete in RI.

This all depends on your colour references. Indeed, are there any? Simply put, no there aren't. Colours were not codified during WW1 so there are no specifications, chips, swatches etc and no ready comparisons with current colours. You cannot relate any WW1 colours to FS, RAL, Pantone or other current colour codification systems.  And no period original colour photos: any 'colour' image will have been colourised.  And there are no surviving original-paint vehicles or artillery. Only stahlhelm.

So any suggested buntfarbenanstrich colours for the kit are entirely conjectural. No-one knows with any certainty what they were.  Colours on surviving stahlhelm vary greatly. You can find images online. The 'yellow' varies from mustard to cream. The red from wine to crimson. The green from grass to bottle. And there may have been a grey involved.

So don't fret over exact accuracy. Literally no-one is able to tell you that any colour you use is right or wrong.

I believe the general acceptance for A7V colours involves a grey shade, a sandy shade, a green shade and a red to brown shade. Most German WW1 mechanical equipment was painted a grey shade with any buntfarbenanstrich applied over that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1