Scimitar jury struts

CJP

Does anyone have clear photos of the Supermarine Scimitar  jury struts showing their attachment points to the wings - I assume there would be a small flap that opens to expose the attachment points - I've looked through the Scimitar File and Scimitar from the cockpit but nothing close up found.

CJP

2 hours ago, Airtrooper said:

This is the best I have. I hope it is of some help.

Andy

spacer.png

Thanks Andy that is great - that is the clearest photo of the jury strut that I have seen - I think its reasonable to assume the inner attachment point at the wing root would be similar👍

CJP

3 hours ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

Which jury struts - the ones that are fitted in the fold when the wings are folded?

Yes mate as in the photo posted by Airtrooper

thanks CJP

I don't know for sure, but I doubt there's covers or such for the attachment points for the jury struts shown above, other aircraft of the period usually have an open threaded socket in the upper wing structure to receive the threaded ends of the strut.

I think CC might be referring to the other type, the Scimitar used two types of strut to support the wing, the other is a short strut that fits into the wing fold itself and so holds it open, works well on a 90 fold.  See pic below.

36839408566_80acdf46cc_k.jpg

Flight Refuelling Ltd Mk20A Refuelling Pod by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

I don't know for sure, but I doubt there's covers or such for the attachment points for the jury struts shown above, other aircraft of the period usually have an open threaded socket in the upper wing structure to receive the threaded ends of the strut.

I think CC might be referring to the other type, the Scimitar used two types of strut to support the wing, the other is a short strut that fits into the wing fold itself and so holds it open, works well on a 90 fold.  See pic below.

Flight Refuelling Ltd Mk20A Refuelling Pod by James Thomas, on Flickr

Thanks James for that useful information - after looking at the above photo I think you are right about there just being a screw in fitting - what I thought was a flap previously was the end of the screw in bolt. - as I have taken the plunge to model my Scimitar with wings folded & separated the outer wing panels so I am looking for ways to make the fold join on the model strong and these struts would do that - I can't say I  have seen any evidence that both were in use at the same time ( maybe in bad weather on board) they certainly would add strength to a delicate model structure.

CJP

Unsure really, however you do see a quite a few pics if Scimitars parked without the main jury strut, I'm guessing that's when they have the stubby one inserted in to the wing fold.

Good idea to strengthen the model wing fold.

• Like 1