WIP is here :-

Some pics of the finished model........

spacer.png

The contraprops came from an old Contrail vacform Tu-95, the number 21 was painted on using a cutout mask and the eagle emblem was

made by a friend who scaled up the Revell 1/144 A-90 kit decal.

spacer.png

My 1/72 scale Orlyonok at speed across my lounge carpet...

spacer.png

Closeup of the cockpit glazing - note the rear view mirrors and simple 'artificial horizon'.

spacer.png

The rough red outline is deliberate!

spacer.png

Note the large anti-spray strakes...

spacer.png

Scratchbuilt gun turret with 12.7mm barrels from suitable tubing.

spacer.png

Rear engine and contraprops - note the APU exhaust and Russian Navy flag.

spacer.png

NK-12MK turboprop showing the 'pen nib' exhaust fairing.

spacer.png

Sequence showing the nose opening.....

spacer.png

Note the cruise engine exhaust nozzle - note that I have got it wrong - it should be narrower to allow it to pivot to direct the thrust

under the wings for takeoff and straight back for cruise.

spacer.png

Almost fully open - note the front hydroski with its beaching wheel.....

spacer.png

Loading ramps extended...

spacer.png

The BTR-80 is a crude limited-run injection-moulded kit that I picked up in Moscow many years ago - long before the current crop of decent kits.

spacer.png

Closeup of the sideways-opening nose...

spacer.png

On display at Scalemodelworld 2014 - next to my Modelsvit An-124 and Flankers - to show scale.

spacer.png

Closer view from Telford...

spacer.png

The model was made long before I photgraphed the real thing - now on display on Khimki reservoir in Moscow...

spacer.png

After being floated upriver on the Volga from Kasspiisk on the Caspian Sea, the A-90 'Orlyonok' ekranoplan - number 26 - is being

prepared for display at Khimki reservoir in 2007.
Note the cruise ships at the Moscow North River Terminal in the background.

I'll post more of my pics later...

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 31

I have never found clear evidence that the A-90 could be 'flown off' the An-225 - in other words, could the A-90 fly out of ground effect???

Delivering the A-90 (configured in its 'flying rescue' / Spasatel guise) to an airport near to where it was needed by the An-225 - and then unloading it and getting it to the nearest water seems overly complicated.

You would need a massive crane at least at the destination airfield :analintruder:

That's why I suspect that it would be flown off the An-225 - and then fly conventionally in 'aeroplane mode' - before 'landing' on the water and assuming its WIG/Ekranoplan flight.

Fascinating all round...

Ken

• Confused 1

Now this is impressive and for it to be scratch built makes it even more impressive.  Your efforts, dedication, and skill level produced a unique and rarely seen subject.  It belongs in a museum.  :clap2:

I am not worthy!!!! :worthy:

Mike

Oh golly that is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time! It's like the illegitimate offspring of a top secret Soviet project and Thunderbird 2! Loving the armoured vehicle driving out. Fantastic work, hats off to you sir.

Edited by Aces High
Autocorrect was being silly

Extraordinary! What a beast - congrats on a masterclass build.

It can be hard to justify scratch building when there are so many nice kits out there, but this was a scratch-built model than definitely needed to be made!