Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk.1

Hi All,

For starters I've got this Airfix Hurricane.

50075183077_9a0936f824_c.jpg

50074362858_a7f3900bb5_c.jpg

50074934381_faa56efdda_c.jpg

50074934581_ee0cefa0dd_c.jpg

I've some figures to go with it, so I'm going to make a  bit of a display base for them.  I've got a 109 to build too, so I'm going to make a matching base with figures for that as well.

Dave.

• Like 15

For what it's worth, the firewall part ( on the second sprue in you post top left corner next to the wing spar) can cause a the front of the wing not to fit to the fuselage. You can cut off a few millimetres from the bottom or do as I did and omit it completely (on my second kit). Guess how I knew to do this. The part is completely unseen on a finished moel and doesn't really add anything to the rigidity of the fuselage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just seen a Battle of Britain 1:48 kit on Amazon for £23.98

Airfix 1:48 Scale Battle of Britain Ready for Battle Model Kit

a Hurricane, bowser truck and utility truck with some ground crew and .. a gambolling dog too!  Actually looks pretty good value IMHO

Its a starter kit so includes hairy sticks, acrylic paints and glue.. 

it might be worth a look? Highly amused by the dog figurine! 

Almost as amused by this dog as the Minicraft 1:48 Pigeons kit I saw once as we had a pigeon infestation at my workplace and I got very accomplished at catching them and release outside. Think it was Andy 18  - Pigeons United 0 as the Full Time score.

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi All,

I masked it using AML laser cut vinyl paint masks - just pure laziness.

50209551038_74a4abf2b2_c.jpg

The down side of these kind of masks is that you don't get an overspray effect - the amount of overspray seems to be quite variable, so... whatever.

And with the Dark Green on.

50210071181_161d9e5543_c.jpg

50210071546_66c9217a4d_c.jpg

Getting there.

Dave.

• Like 12

It looks nice. Maybe some were exited from The Hawker factory at Langley, West London with crisp clean properly masked lines  others with a bit of overspray.

Coincidentally i worked at Langley Farm where the Hawker factory had been redeveloped. It became Hurricane Way - and Virgin Media took it over ( who i worked for)

https://www.ukairfieldguide.net/airfields/Langley

I also would deliver stuff to Dunsfold where Hawkers moved to.. but thias was before i worked for VM!

Note, if using the kit decals, SD-X is the BoB option,  UP-W is R4118 as a recent warbird.   AFAIK there are no photos of R4118 in service in 1940 as UP-W. 

Also, pay attention to the prop,  either set of blades will fit either spinner.  (i've seen builds get them mixed up...)

the usual BoB unit fitted is  D71/C11/D74...

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Note, if using the kit decals, SD-X is the BoB option,  UP-W is R4118 as a recent warbird.   AFAIK there are no photos of R4118 in service in 1940 as UP-W. 

Also, pay attention to the prop,  either set of blades will fit either spinner.  (i've seen builds get them mixed up...)

HTH

Yep, I don't do as much research as some of you do, but as soon as I saw on the instructions that UP*W was a restored plane I had to check - so SD*X it's going to be.

Dave.

On 8/10/2020 at 6:05 PM, Troy Smith said:

HTH

Whatever else the research for the restoration of R4118 (other UP-Ws are available) was meticulous; the aeroplane is as close to period accurate as the wit and skill of man allows, commensurate with her being operated on the UK airshow circuit.