The other Tim's Airfix 1/48 Merlin HC3 - build as ZJ138/X 1419 Flt 28 (AC) Sqn RAF. Helmand, Afghanistan 2010

Cheers guys

bit more done need to drive on as it’s a fairly big  build 

28dOepx.jpg

Tvf5uqy.jpg

test fit of main deck to lower fuselage

aSxUSOm.jpg

• Like 6

pushing on and cabin closed up 

800PE11.jpg

WhuLjWg.jpg

AMhP9Of.jpg

EA90rkD.jpg

k2pEXyT.jpg

fP0KNHB.jpg

z0knlSu.jpg

n5T6ZIr.jpg

done some test fitting of the main fuselage and it’s all quite right. 

the ramp is a bit temperamental with the pins that should allow it to move, so I taken it off for now and will add at the end.

it may need gluing into the nearly full down position.

also removed the GPMG from its mount otherwise it will just break off - again will add at the later stages.

i have a masking kit for the glass which needs to be added to the fuselage before it’s fitted.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sadly I am not going to get this build completed by the finish date....I will keep on it and add any updates here, maybe transfer over to the forthcoming KUTA build - I think I was a bit over enthusiastic with the BoB 80 build, the lack of a commute and more time with working from home...my bad!

• 1 year later...

Good luck.  I'm looking forward to seeing you finish it after such a good start.  You have got a lot further than I have with my 28 Sqn HC3!

Tim

• Like 1

Got going again…

quite complex. Starting building up some sub assemblies and got the main fuselage halves together - one was warped slightly so not a prefect fuse but will do the job…

IMG_2707.HEIC

Used the masking kit which helps !

IMG_2708.HEIC

FullSizeRender(240).jpg

IMG_2705.HEIC

Crew primed 

IMG_2709.HEIC

IMG_2711.HEIC

some areas to fill due to the slight Miss-alignment due to the warped side (probably my limited building skilz as well!!) plus some bits and pieces to add on… helicopters are hard !

some more references 

IMG_2691.JPG

Some debate on colours but I’m going with the MRP NATO green, but will lighten it slightly and then mask out some panels to spray with pure colour, may throw in a door or panel in RAF DG …with some Tamiya sand brushed on it should break it all up…

IMG_2690.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Moving forward - some gaps to fill and sand....

Some crew ref

IMG_2713(1).JPG

IMG_2715(1).HEIC

FullSizeRender(240).jpg

IMG_2830(1).HEIC

IMG_2791(1).JPG

IMG_2790(2).JPG

IMG_2829(1).HEIC

Need to detail paint the 2 front crew and get the glass in....a few more fits and some filling and sanding and I am getting close to paint...need to tape up the open gaps/doors etc!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some more done and paint

IMG_2876(1).HEIC

IMG_2878(1).HEIC

IMG_2879(1).HEIC

paint on...

IMG_2933(1).HEIC

IMG_2936(1).HEIC

IMG_2935(1).HEIC

masking the black walkways

IMG_2948(1).HEIC

IMG_2947(1).HEIC

Ready to go with the main colour - plan to use the NATO IR Green, but lightened to try to get the faded effect - then a few 'new' panels using the full colour....eventually the sand weather kit should help...then its some detail painting around the engines, DAS systems etc...

getting there!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Psychovadge said:

Hi @Tim Moff absolutely loving your work, would love to see another update if you have done any more on this beauty. I’m a former RAF Merlin pilot too and really want to give this one a go although I am very much a novice modeller, I suspect this might be too difficult for me at the moment.

had to wait for some after market decals as  some of the kit ones are not in great shape. It is a bit of a fiddly build but time and patience are key and I’m sure you can get it done …

smsll world -  I served in 3 PARA for 26 years so it maybe I’ve been in the back with you in the past !

26 minutes ago, Psychovadge said:

Just checked and last flew ZJ138 in March 2004, also flew her in Bosnia but not in Iraq sadly.

Cool stuff 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

I'd love to see an update on this one too! I have this cab in my logbook, albeit in a different guise :)

Great stuff - can I ask what guise ? Was it used for the trials ? Loved to Merlin and it’s versatility, speed and capability.

19 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

had to wait for some after market decals as  some of the kit ones are not in great shape. It is a bit of a fiddly build but time and patience are key and I’m sure you can get it done …

smsll world -  I served in 3 PARA for 26 years so it maybe I’ve been in the back with you in the past !

Cool stuff 

Small world indeed! Few mates are ex-Para although not 3 Para. I was in As Samawah with a para unit in 2005 and had to fly an STD nurse into the base - one of the coffeeshop (Echos?) girls was providing some  ahem extra services and had managed to infect half the camp…and pretty much about 100% of the paras :D

Always enjoyed working with the Paras - 100% professional and made me proud to be fighting with you and dare I say it, proud to be British too.

Edited by Psychovadge
Spelling
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tim Moff said:

Great stuff - can I ask what guise ? Was it used for the trials ? Loved to Merlin and it’s versatility, speed and capability.

Balls, I read the serial wrong 🙃

Managed to get on a handful of the Mk3s during their navalisation to Mk4s. 

I think this one ended up at Boscombe after it got bent! 

• Like 1

great stories - STI nurse 🤣😜 not having it !!

Got started on the decals eventually…

FullSizeRender(280).jpg

FullSizeRender(281).jpg

Mixture of Airfix and Aftermarket decals - seem ok at the moment…. Lots of stencils to sort as well !

• Like 2