The other Tim's Airfix 1/48 Merlin HC3 - build as ZJ138/X 1419 Flt 28 (AC) Sqn RAF. Helmand, Afghanistan 2010

As per my Apache, I am probably over reaching, particularly with this build as it looks fairly complex - with the BoB GB nearly apon us and lots planned for that, I thought about putting this back into the cupboard....but then I thought, when would it ever be built!

B6jB7b7.jpg

So I will try to get this done, along with the Apache. I have not built a Helo since I was a kid, but did spend a lot of time in them in the time since! My unit was part of the trooping trials and training when they first came into service, the Crab Loadies were flapping that the keen but stupid Paratroopers would pile off the ramp, turn right and splat ourselves into the tail rota!!😂

Picture more recent but you get the idea....

hqscot-2014-027-1336.jpg?itok=wfw7IkaP

hqscot-2014-027-0837.jpg?itok=jsdae3DW

l18VOUS.jpg

aSD5Nce.jpg

ZJ138 came to a sad end, had a problem and landed heavily at Camp Bastion, only to be dragged off by our American cousins....who damaged it beyond repair...

http://www.ukserials.com/losses-2010.htm

kRUy2cgfmTBIVKn21rWkqsa52BXldPwWBxOReumt

zj138.jpg?d=050720123912

The Merlins were transferred to the RN after the SDR decided it was the best option to replace the Sea King Junglies....RAF bought some more Chinook. Have to say I really liked the Merlin, was the Rolls Royce of the SH fleet at the time....

Now the Royal Navy Guardforce (aka Royal Marine Commandos) will have them to play with along with their new sexy uniforms in their latest re branding exercise!

• Like 6

Anyone whose made this kit or built support helicopters will know the amount of work needed to get it started !

3hrs this morning with the airbrush. Getting in the black, grey etc on the interior. Seats painted on the sprues, blades done and masked for the metal edge etc.

TLeIoNH.jpg

VGtXAtq.jpg

MSXg38L.jpg

xxE4SYO.jpg

• Like 9

That’s a good three hours work. It looks nicely detailed inside. I presume you’ll be leaving all openings open so it can be shown off.

• Like 1

Yes plan to have in the flare coming into land - just need to source a couple of crew! I’m sure there’s plenty sat unused in boxes out there 🤣

some more work - got a Mr Color 11 grey on as an equivalent to Humbrol 64 but it just does not look right - so I’m gonna buy a Mr Paint FS 36373 that apparently is a better match ...

8NLOFY1.jpg

painted the blades FS 34079 similar to the RAF Dark Green. You can compare to the other items that are painted NATO IR Green which will be the main colour for the outside

DXoQUbI.jpg

will try this 

iUoOxz5.jpg

some more reference pics 

EtTdQIA.jpg

p8Zkqr2.jpg

looks like someone built a couple for a crew 

https://i.imgur.com/QW88Jdh.gifv

getting prepped for lift by CH53

84n4s2l.jpg

plenty to get on with waiting fir the paint - got the Apache , some BoB builds and lots of seats to sort with this 🤣

• Like 7

some more prep - have to decide on the seat configuration - will await my newly prescribed reading glasses before I start 🤣

0Nfh8XI.jpg

1L7UvUL.jpg

• Like 6

Excellent interior work Tim,this kit was offered to me by my eldest and I was very tempted but couldn't see me getting it done with other GB participation

so I'll sit back and enjoy your's instead.

• Like 1

Really enjoying seing this one come together.

There can't be many people building a kit of something they are used to being around routinely  !

Good luck with this one 

cheers Pat 

• Like 1

New paint arrived yesterday so got it on - think it looks a lot better, has the blue hue in it.

the short hiatus allowed me to get w lot of the basic work done to start my BoB builds.

ZlEMP9W.jpg

little bit of paint lift on the blades DG masking - will sort out later in the build...

0h64qWv.jpg

now the box of seats await my attention - my new reading glasses should help!

still recruiting and Unwanted crew sat in spares boxes to fill the seats if anyone has any they don’t  need!

ive got the Tamiya weathering set A to help sand up the interior once the decals go on...

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 6

Some fiddly seat construction ! 6 in the up position, all will need some paint touch ups - big Q - do I make some basic seat belts out of Tamiya tape, about the right colour...

also some of the cabin recalling done, plenty still left though !

N7X2Pkc.jpg

N7X2Pkc.jpg

• Like 5

slowly

VFq2Fnd.jpg

Bit of off white dry brushing to ighlight the folded seats rubber cord support!!

Eb3L25E.jpg

Will have to get a coat of gloss to seal in the decals in, some dark dirt wash then some sand weathering powder on before a dullcote. Then start to assemble....like a model within a model...

• Like 5

I road moved the damaged Merlin when she came back from theatre. Brize to Westlands, then later on an internal move when it had been chopped up into the “lego” Merlin. Finally a road move to Boscombe Down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I road moved the damaged Merlin when she came back from theatre. Brize to Westlands, then later on an internal move when it had been chopped up into the “lego” Merlin. Finally a road move to Boscombe Down. 

Small world !

bit of a helo day today 

X8oEbXa.jpg

q7je2r8.jpg

YiFkEkj.jpg

starting to take shape 

• Like 5

Soldiering on with this, roof section decals on and a sealing cote over the top.

Quick test fit. Need to start on the main cockpit and other bits before I assemble the rear. I will give it a wash and then treat it to some sand weathering as well. Then the seats go in.

All that work and v little will be seen, but hey I know its done! 

LVYqsKX.jpg

gwHBmlI.jpg

1Pabj2R.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 6

That's a really nice looking kit Tim. Great detail. It is a bit of shame that so much hard work goes into a part of the kit that you have to make a real effort to see after it's finished though. Still, definitely worth it.

• Like 1

Hey Tim,

I cannot see the images, instead I see black squares with a message from imagur that the image is no longer available?

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pappy said:

Hey Tim,

I cannot see the images, instead I see black squares with a message from imagur that the image is no longer available?

cheers,

Pappy

Hopefully sorted, I think I( moved them around in Imgur...

49 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

Hopefully sorted, I think I( moved them around in Imgur...

Yup, all good now,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Bot some weathering in, my experience is that they got quite caked in sand and dust in the summer months, especially the rear cabin/ramp area. Also the areas where the Loadies stand and where the GPMG gun mounts are.

First time ive done this, am I supposed to seal it in with as dullcote etc?

yM7vnnx.jpg

efENdaR.jpg

5irVSMa.jpg

WZMZgrx.jpg

39mHsuC.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments and looking. Need to get the cockpit painted up and sorted, hopefully some crew on the eay, I can then get the seats and gun in before a final dusting over those areas, a dullcote if thats whats meant to happen. Then on with the build....

• Like 6