The other Tim's 1/48 Italeri Apache - Modelled as per the WAH-64D, British Army Air Corps, circa 2002

So I toyed with this GB as I have 3 helos in the stash, including an earlier version of this (only thing different is decals so not sure how/why I have both!) and the Airfix Merlin......I have a lot ready for the Battle of Britain GB and can just see myself over extending - I have only just come back to the hobby, built in the Nordic GB, also managed to finish off my 2 x F-111 builds from the STGB (have updated the threads!), pushed along a couple of stalled 617 Sqn Lanc builds etc...

Then I thought - when would I ever build these things - if not in a Helo GB....so why not! Living in Colchester I regularly have them flying over me from Wattisham, its still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up everytime, throwback to Helmand in 2006 I expect, where part of my role included being a JTAC (Joint Terminal Attack Controller) and as callsign WIDOW 67 I often had to call up air support, including UGLY callsigns from the Army Air Corp's 9 Regt/656 AH Sqn. I always like to have some personal link to my builds if possible, this is a bit of a stretch given I will have to build the aircraft as circa 2002!

This boxing is not the best, its really a US version with some Dutch decals and British decals....the Heritage add on set for the upgraded AH1 that saved my butt a few times in Helmand in 2006 seems impossible to source....

As ever no crew, again a shout out to any 1/48 Helo crew sat in a spares box that want employing!

I looked back and found a picture of an Apache AH1 without all the lumps and bumps that were later added - any experts please do correct me, but I think IO can get away with a UK build based on the initial delivery...if not I am anyways!

Obligatory box and sprue shots

PDQY4oI.jpg

02CBzey.jpg

Aforementioned 'basic' UK Apache - pic dated 2002!

DL5WtxL.jpg

Got started yesterday, removing and cleaning up some parts. A little research seems to blow most of the painting guide out of the water, so I have used references and started the pit in various black shades, blades also will be a NATO black.

Mr Paint FS34031 US Army Helo Drab is pretty much out of stock everywhere, so I have gone for the Hataka Orange Line version and ordered....found these paints ok to use, once perfectly thinned for whatever airbrush is being used.... won't be weathered too much (new airframe and BoB build in mind!).

zA067-244x183.png

Priming also started:

j1oQ9sC.jpg

h5sIhGP.jpg

eye test next week, defo need glasses for close up work now, so I will just do the basics as the IP's look old rather than the UK version and I can't focus as well as the old days!!

Some great ref pics for the newer Apaches by @gary1701 available on the site as well.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

Hi Tim,

I look forward to seeing this being built. Just a reference to the configuration of the early UK Apache. I was seeing Wattisham airframes not fitted with HIDAS well into 2008/9. In fact looking through pics I see numerous examples of airframes that have carried HIDAS not being fitted at a later date. I can only speculate that the sets were rotated as airframes came back from deployment. 

ZJ231, Wattisham, June 2008. I photographed this one again last week.

2616763156_73153c449f_o.jpg

Gary

Edited by gary1701
  • Like 3

On 7/5/2020 at 6:21 PM, gary1701 said:

Hi Tim,

I look forward to seeing this being built. Just a reference to the configuration of the early UK Apache. I was seeing Wattisham airframes not fitted with HIDAS well into 2008/9. In fact looking through pics I see numerous examples of airframes that have carried HIDAS not being fitted at a later date. I can only speculate that the sets were rotated as airframes came back from deployment. 

ZJ231, Wattisham, June 2008. I photographed this one again last week.

2616763156_73153c449f_o.jpg

Gary

Thanks Gary - thats really helpful. I am only in Coly, I may have to wander over one day.

I think some of the training aircraft are also non HIDAS. It will be out of the box so v basic - I hate not putting UK markings on models if they have that option!

• Like 1

Bit of beavering away on the tub - still recruiting 2 x Apache Crewman!!

Some dry brushing and artistic licence on the non UK IPs etc!

Dry fit seems ok, instructions a bit bare, will paint/build up the base area above the rotor then hopefully close up.

IkEKHvW.jpg

lrGojuY.jpg

0kZdlIK.jpg

• Like 7

Couple of hours done, got the main rotor area built and placed into the fuselage.

but of fiddling around to make the tub line up with the rear bulkhead thingy.

FCvEmZV.jpg

primed some other bits and built up or removed from the sprue for some concurrent activity 

closed up the 2 fuselage halves, fit seemed ok

bKqFbA9.jpg

V9HNCjv.jpg

rdUChbc.jpg

ordered some CVR7 rockets from freight dog (also some GR4 bits to convert a Revell GR1 as part of the upcoming Tonka GB So I can add to the 617Sqn project!) to replace the kit Hydras. Will build up the hellfires as well.

some off the bits will have to stay off until painting finished - Hataka US helo drab in the post.

• Like 7

Nice work so far Tim. It's a pity Italeri couldn't be bothered doing the job properly in updating this kit but like the sound of your plan to make the best of it.

• Like 1

Bit of filling and sanding on the seams - I can never seem to conquer them but this looks ok.

been busy with the Merlin so will look at the next stage on this next week ...

kqOAwgO.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a helo day today 

88xfdbf.jpg

juC7NDK.jpg

got the glass masked 

Bb5Jh4B.jpg

t2XAMaz.jpg

TL3NRR2.jpg

Getting there - bit if a beast to build...

some gaps to fill - but soon getting to the priming stage - lots of the bits to go on at the end.

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 7

Moving on with the Apache after a bit of filling and filing!

bit of loose masking

7kvKwI8.jpg

Primer on 

6gnxvmx.jpg

forgot I had Ed Macey’s book, handy for references

WD0cRPh.jpg

Hataka us helo drab to go on next 

• Like 6

You're making good progress on this beast Tim and sure we're all looking forward to the paintwork progress update :) 

• Like 1

Got the Hataka US Army Helo Drab FS 34041 On.

just a straight coat, no shading yet.

as I’m building a new delivery early AAC version I will likely leave pretty much as is...

v dark especially trying to see over a black primer but seems a good colour match ?

yD29eGE.jpg

Rvjet6D.jpg

mckYlfw.jpg

dhDa3dD.jpg

next stage getting last bits on, gloss and decals 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Minimum decals on this one... not great and a bit of slivering - probably the raised detail....

will look at getting the Matt cote on and gluing on the various handles and rails that have popped off...

still hopeful that someone may have a couple of 1/48 crew sitting around spare !

EUpR4G0.jpg

H01Wnxc.jpg

some work to do still with weapons and some of the smaller parts detail painting ...

no weathering as building as fairly new..

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly I am not going to get this build completed by the finish date....I will keep on it and add any updates here, maybe transfer over to the forthcoming KUTA build - I think I was a bit over enthusiastic with the BoB 80 build, the lack of a commute and more time with working from home...my bad!