The one that got away Bf 109 Von Werra Airfix

Ok, pre shade lifecolor 33 black, Pmask canopy mask, a must for a 109 for me and some tamiya rattle can 24 Luftwaffe dunkelgrün. I have masked off the hellblau areas. Let this set over night tho it’s dry already. Give me time to decide green or black for spinner etc...

50151961587_aae6c5597e_b.jpg

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Give me time to decide green or black for spinner etc...

You know you want black!!!

Have fun! 

JR

• Haha 2

I’ve undercoated black and I do like the look, plus if it’s accurate...but, the box art is the black green and that also looks tasty...

• Haha 1

The choice is yours, but the spinner is the reflection of the Staffel logo, which is black and white.

Choice is a terrible thing!

JR

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jean said:

The choice is yours, but the spinner is the reflection of the Staffel logo, which is black and white.

Choice is a terrible thing!

JR

Well as I’m building the 1/72 and 1/48 side by side I guess I could have one of each...but now I’m looking to paint the 1/72 I do like Priller’s 109 included in that boxing...Choice as you say....

• Like 1

Getting to the stage where things move quickly. Camouflage masks don’t fit either of the 1/72 or 1/48 versions so home made it is. I’m using tamiya rattle can AS-29 for RLM 02, AS-16 can also be used as a faded version...to my eye anyway and I’ve sweated   And researched for years on 02 and think life colour 02 is the best to my taste and as-29 closest to that..

50154688466_58bc37141a_b.jpg

RLM 02 on, really silky smooth finish...until you drops parts on the garage floor...bit of white creep on the spinner and now a finger print 😡 

Was just a cheap Aldi white spray can and doesn’t have the quick drying time that the excellent tamiya rattle cans do...

50154862156_ef4022f8e6_b.jpg

• Like 4

I do like taking the tape off. Here we are with the top camouflage of RLM 02 (Tamiya AS-29) and RLM 71 Dunkelgrün Luftwaffe dark green (Tamiya AS-24). Really love these paints. Next job will be masking off for the RLM 65 Hellblau, Luftwaffe light blue and I will use another Tamiya rattle can in the shape of AS-5 which is Luftwaffe blue in their range.

You might see the 1/72 in the corner which was going to be a smaller scale of the same a/c but as I have already done one in that scale and scheme and we are in the midst of the BoB there’s plenty 109 schemes to mix it up a bit..

50154445113_2a758d85f3_b.jpg

• Like 6

I’m thinking I should probably have painted the RLM 65 first? Il need to be super accurate with my masking.

I also seem to have trouble getting nice clean smooth canopy painting, always goes crumbly or lumpy, this appears to be my best, yet the rear section has come off. I used humbrol clear fix for that part, other two parts were micro kristal klear...

What is the best product for sticking clear parts?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Not sure if best, but I’m using white glue (PVA, ”carpenter glue”, etc), with tiny drops of CA at strategic locations. I first apply the PVA along the rim (the stuff dries quite clear). The CA is either applied on a spot or two before I press home the canopy, or afterwards if the shape allows it.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

As I have said before, Clearfix works quite well but you have to be careful how you apply it as mine is rather thick . As I have said a few times before, I find that it attacks acrylic paint and decs, though that might depend on the type of paint/varnish you are using - you therefore need to put it on sparingly, or apply a coat on non acrylic varnish first. I have tried the Rocket CA and it does seem that it does not "fog" canopies. However, it may not be as strong as some other CA, as I used it on the triangular waist windows on my Wellington , and one fell out after a few hours. Krystal Kleer also works but takes a long time to "grab" and set so you have to ensure that the cabopy or whatever is left alone and not accidentally moved.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Peter B @Torbjorn @Greg Law for the canopy tips. I’ll do some experimenting on re-attaching this canopy and the 1/72 so thanks!

@Greg Law I think I’m just out of practice as I think I’d usually have done the RLM 65 first...it was a pain to mask over the and spray over the darker colours...

Here is the RML 65 on, super smooth satin finish 

50159894807_0a41a72635_b.jpg

Still a bit wet in the photo....then with the tape off...

50159894787_a091457ef1_b.jpg

• Like 8

I’m going to try my first spray on gloss coat, rather than brush it on, if I’m brave enough that it, should maybe use the smaller one as a tester...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

I’m going to try my first spray on gloss coat, rather than brush it on, if I’m brave enough that it, should maybe use the smaller one as a tester...

Good luck.

• Like 1

I’m so pleased with my canopy masking and finish, best I’ve managed so far. It was a PMask from Poland. Ready for the gloss now with wing tips in white done.

50166738258_994a0832f0_b.jpg

• Like 7

I wasn’t brave enough to attempt a gloss rattle can on this one so I have brush painted a coat of Humbrol Gloss Cote. I used to skip varnishing but realise it helps with decal setting, panel line suction and paint protection.

Do I gloss the canopy glass or just the framing?

Next time we see it there should be decals on it!

50169391091_400fb8e16c_b.jpg

• Like 5

I have read somewhere on BM that using varnish on the canopy did not help the transparencies at all.

I would keep the clear varnish for the framing only. Or use clear over everything!

JR

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2020 at 8:42 AM, Valkyrie said:

PVA. No doubt in my mind. No chance of clouding the one and only canopy and quite reversible.

Looks really great.

• Thanks 1