Zoukei-Mura F-4C & F-4D - A Question

Tiger331

Hi Folks,

Facing a minor dilemma at the moment. Discovered I have one too few Z-M F-4Cs and one too many F-4Ds to complete future projects. The one Z-M F-4C kit I do have is in storage so I am unable to do a direct comparison between the two kits to determine if the F-4D kit has most of the parts I need to use it for a F-4C project. I also know that, unlike other manufacturers, Z-M's particular modular approach quite often prevents the use of one kit to reproduce another variant. I'm not too bothered about the cockpit interior since I will probably use a resin replacement for this (or close it up) and I know that the external differences between the two are quite small (apart from the fin tip and the fairing under the radome). Is anyone able to provide advice on whether I can actually produce (with some minor fettling) a F-4C out of the F-4D kit ?.

Thanks

Mark

The external differences between the C and D are as you describe for the vast majority of both types - just remove the extra bulge of the undernose D housing and presto - a C.

Of course, very early C's were delivered with the Navy style inner wing pylons, with the straight leading edge, and some D's featured a clean radome without the extra sensor housing slung under it.

HTH,

Andre

• Like 2

The F-4C boxing has specific C parts on sprue K and the F-4D boxing has specific D parts on sprue L, unique to each boxset.

Predictably, those concern the radome blister shape, cockpit IPs and the RHAWS "bullet" styles on the fincap.

You can file back the pre amp bump on the radome blister part L 6 asily enough, and for the fincap use the "unused" Navy part 5 from runner A, which is closer to the F-4C style. 

But, as Hook mentioned, if you want an early F-4C you'll need the straight-edged pointy LAU-17 inner wing pylons (from a Navy kit or another firm's F-4B, F-4J or RF-4B/C) plus earlier MB Mk.5 ejection seats from AM sources. 

HTH

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. The problem may have actually 'gone away' as I have now elected to do my second model as an ANG F-4D and acquired the kit to do this but it is all useful information should I decide later on to do another F-4C.

As a, related, aside, does anyone know if the F-4C was fitted with the MB Mk.5H seats throughout its life or whether the later Mk.7H was retrofitted at some stage ?. I am doing a 57 FIS jet in the overall Grey scheme shortly before the unit re-equipped with the F-4E. I have a spare set of Cutting Edge MB Mk.5H seats for the project but I am not sure if they will be correct for the time period in question ?.

Anyway, thanks again

Mark 

4 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

As a, related, aside, does anyone know if the F-4C was fitted with the MB Mk.5H seats throughout its life or whether the later Mk.7H was retrofitted at some stage ?

AFAIK the early seats were all replaced early on on surviving airframes.

Cheers,

Andre

YES both the Phantom and Crusader had Mk 7 seat upgrades starting in 1968....but it wasnt uniform so some airmframes had mk.5's unitl 1970. 

Again research will yield the results needed to render an accurate version of the particular airframe/timeframe one is building

Steve,