ICM 1/35 ZiL-131 Emergency Truck

OK, I have some colour on. For the unit's interior I decided on cockpit green which I learned to appreciate when building the Spitfire. 

20200802204448-306d6d93-me.jpg

And for the cab, yellow, but not too yellow. 

20200802204448-13aa1185-me.jpg

Not fully covering the black primer so it doesn't get really bright. I can now finish the cab's interior and assemble it. If the parts don't match properly in terms of colour I can put another light coat on.

• Like 4

Cab is done. 

20200803163100-a43a6f59-me.jpg

20200803163059-cb64d0f5-me.jpg

This is where it's at now... 

20200803163100-5e4e1793-me.jpg

This is with doors and bonnet dry fitted. 

20200803163058-78ab7a01-me.jpg

The doors will be red on the outside. Running boards black. 

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Looking good but the wheels steal the show for me they are very smart 🙂

They are indeed. Glad I went for them. 

• Like 1

Here we are with all the yellow applied. 

20200805143409-f0f0cd6a-me.jpg

The roof is removable and will stay that way. It's starting to look like something. But don't worry, still plenty of chance to screw things up when masking and painting the red stripes on the bonnet, rear doors and sides 🙂 

Oh and don't worry about the overspray under the unit, I'll repaint those parts.

• Like 11

Quick update. 2 hours of masking the unit, 20 seconds of spraying. I'm reasonably happy with the stripes, at least they're nice and straight. A little bit of sanding needed when the paint is dry, to remove some edges but otherwise OK. I also painted the doors. 

20200807114649-5d2f09f9-me.jpg

The bonnet still needs its stripes but I wasn't happy with how it was painted so it's been stripped and repainted. Stripes tomorrow. I think I'll make a start on cleaning up the wheels this afternoon. They're going to seriously improve the look when painted!

• Like 10

Looks good, but I don't envy you two hours of masking - think that would give me a headache. But I can't fault the results.

Now I don;t know if it's just me, but every time I see this I think prison truck rather than emergency truck. :)

4 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Looks good, but I don't envy you two hours of masking - think that would give me a headache. But I can't fault the results

Thanks. Well, I built an aircraft a little while back and the camo scheme took me two evenings to mask! So this was not too bad. And I think it wasn't actually precisely two hours, but it did feel like it 🙂

7 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Now I don;t know if it's just me, but every time I see this I think prison truck rather than emergency truck. :)

Well... I don't have that, but I don't actually see the "emergency" in it. I would think more of ambulance. But this thing has a workshop inside. As in, "hurry, let's go somewhere really fast, and build a cupboard" or something

• Haha 2

Funniest thing... As I was gingerly masking the as yet unattached right rear door to paint its stripe I realized something... 

20200808071538-91644787-me.jpg

That's right.... The unit is missing a bit of stripe... See what I mean?

20200808071538-9b6641e5-me.jpg

Means I have to remask the *** thing again for a tiny little piece of stripe!

OK, all done!

20200808110731-78cf6eb0-me.jpg

See that tiny bit of red in the upper right corner of the unit? I'm always amazed at how paint gets to where you don't want it... I thought I had all the exits covered but noooo.... 

• Like 6

Go faster stripes love it just need to make the tyres into slicks now raise the rear suspension lower the front and you can take it to a race track 😂. Great work with the masking mate coming along nicely looking forward to seeing those cool wheels in all there glory 🙂

• Like 1

Final score for today: red stripes in place. Tamiya Rubber Black on those wheels... 

20200808181613-14d370d0-me.jpg

Now we're talking!

Gloss coat in the morning. I've made a start on the interior as well. 

• Like 11

7 hours ago, reini said:

That is looking brilliant! :) And you're way ahead of me with this one, I guess I have too many projects running at the same time... :D

And making chocolate cake...

• Haha 1

Some progress in the last couple of days. Decals are on. 

20200811094012-8325773f-me.jpg

They must be good decals because I got them on reasonably well and they are still in one piece. Needless to say I like my decals on the sturdy side. The unit is still dry fitted at this point but the cab and bonnet have been fixed in place. 

I'll 'fess up to not doing anything to the engine. In fact it's still in primer 🙂 ... But as I'm not going to show it I thought why bother. I mean it's nice and all but for this truck I care more about how it looks on the outside. I'm going to muddy up the underside so (for me) there's really no point in spending time on the engine. 

So this morning (starting early, it's a bit warm in the house right now and the mornings are bearable) I first filled up the winch with cable. I started with lead wire to "lay a foundation", and then I finished with twisted copper wire (the tow cable kind). I don't have a hook and I'm not going to make one so I fashioned a loop to go around one of the hooks at the front of the chassis. The loop itself is gracefully out of focus of course, there's really no depth of field on my phone's camera.

20200811094011-fb683c9f-me.jpg

After that I glued the bonnet in place. 

20200811094012-e4ade2df-me.jpg

@reini, I think you're following the same steps as I am, make sure that the lower part of the cab is aligned properly when you attach it to the chassis. I had to pinch the front fenders together a little bit just now to get them to line up with the bonnet. Much easier if they're already in the right place 🙂 

I see now that I still need to paint the letters on the bonnet black, which would have been easier to do with an unattached bonnet but I always seem to forget stuff like that. 

Also, I'm working on the interior. As you can see I'm going for that timeless "metal cabinet painted army surplus camo green" look.

20200811095930-c6b36987-me.jpg

This should do. 

And lastly, I made a start on the wheels. I have some Mig Oil brushers and I thought I'd give them a go. They're quite nice actually. 

On the left a clean wheel, on the right a subtle (up to now) treatment with "Earth". 

20200811095931-5313a643-me.jpg

I'm going to use "Black" on the unit, see where it gets me. You brush some of the paint on and work it with white spirit. I like it so far, I've never used oil paint before. 

• Like 8

Interesting point about the oil paint Jeroen I've just started using it on the Porsche build and find it a great product to use. Your truck looks fantastic mate very impressive work 👏 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 4:36 AM, JeroenS said:

Ballaton Models arrived yesterday. They're pretty nice. 

Definite improvement.  Not a project I'd have chosen but I'm very much enjoying watching the build.   

• Like 1