ICM 1/35 ZiL-131 Emergency Truck

So, with my Spitfire build waiting for the weather to clear so I can paint, the Scania build resting after a lot of work on the cab I felt like starting a (relatively) quick in between build. Nothing like starting a new build to cheer you up, right? At first, I wasn't going to start a WIP for it, but then I thought why not, and that's when I noticed @reini having started more or less the same build over in the AFV section. But, since there's a civilian version in the box, that's what I'm building. 

I've wanted to start this one for a while so yesterday's dismal weather was just the excuse I needed. 

This it the kit: 

20200404203530-01c41bab-me.jpg

It's unusual, and the nice thing about it is that is comes with full interior. The box art shows the military version but I'll be building an all yellow civvy version. 

There's a whole bunch of sprues in the box!

20200705110556-6532a022-me.jpg

The ICM plastic is on the soft side but easy to work with. The moulding is not 100% crisp, it's a bit off so there's mould lines on just about every part but they're easily taken care of because of the soft plastic. The fit is also not 100% in places, but overall very good. I like the way ICM does the instructions, step by step, very easy to follow and user-friendly. Here's an example: 

20200705112547-a35f9f64-me.jpg

I've been at this thing for a couple of hours, it builds really well. 

20200705110556-9017cc2a-me.jpg

The engine is just dry fitted for now, I'll paint it separately. In the back is the winch assembly which will also have to be painted separately because it goes in after the engine. I'm going to paint as much of the chassis as I can in one go, not bothering too much about detail. I'd like this to be a quick, fun build. So far it's working 🙂 

• Like 12

Wha... You got interior too? I don't, with the military version. Weird.

So it will be full yellow? Should look pretty striking :) Will it be a clean build or weathered?

39 minutes ago, reini said:

Wha... You got interior too? I don't, with the military version. Weird.

So it will be full yellow? Should look pretty striking :) Will it be a clean build or weathered?

Yes, there's a full workshop to build, looks very nice. I'm planning on leaving the doors in the rear opened so it will be visible. Otherwise, doesn't make much sense to have an interior.

There are two version in the box (well, you could paint it in any other colour of course), I'll be doing the one at the bottom. 

20200705134038-05a2aa3d-me.jpg

I think the red door is a nice touch. I won't be going all out with weathering but clean it will not be. 

Anyway, I've burned through one sprue and part of another, and this is what I have: 

20200705134038-f072a348-me.jpg

I'll be loading up the winch with some cable of course. I haven't seen a hook yet, come to think of it. I'm not sure one is supplied. I'm going to start on the cab now. Or maybe the "box" which the truck carries, that should be fun. 

• Like 6

So, this is the general idea: 

20200705162049-6fc21a62-me.jpg

One sidewall and the workareas are only dry fitted so it's easier to paint. 

20200705162049-c2f7862a-me.jpg

Some assorted stuff will be added as well. Fire extinguisher, lamps, some toolboxes etc. 

Fun fact, I just found out that I completely missed an important fact: there are 2 pairs of chassis beams. When I started I saw the beams on the first sprue so I went with them. However, on the sprues containing these parts there was a second set. And guess what, these are the beams I should have been using! They are identical to the ones I've used, but 5 mm longer... Hmm... Well, we'll just have to see how much of a problem that's going to be. 

• Like 6

The issue with the chassis beams didn't turn out to be a really big one. The rear overhang would have been significant though, and since I'm not one to walk away from a bit of chopping I exchanged the rear part of the beams with the longer ones which were still on the sprues. A little bit of filler and Bob's your uncle. 

20200705202517-4efbb83c-me.jpg

Calling it a day now. 

• Like 9

This is the equipment on the front of the module done. 

20200706200950-ae3f2ca8-me.jpg

It looks like a lot's going on. If you notice the second box from the right, it has a white bottom. The part that was supposed to go there just wasn't on the sprue. Nothing. This is my second ICM kit and the first one had a similar issue, only then half the part was missing. Apparently this is normal for ICM kits... 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, reini said:

Thats real good progress, I'm lagging bit behind. But then again, I'm paying attention to the instructions - like what chassis beams to use... :P

I want to give you at least a chance

• Haha 2

Thanks for the encouragements guys. It's a nice build so far. I'm just happily glueing stuff, it all goes together well enough. Today some work on the underside and backside of the module. I also have one door in, there will be a spare wheel in front of this one. I'm hoping I can find a way to keep the other door opened. 

20200707214426-60a1aa1e-me.jpg

And a start on the cab as well. 

20200707214426-ef0db5b3-me.jpg

Speaking of wheels, I acquired a set of resin wheels from Ballaton Models. The tyres that come with the kit are ok, but nothing more. I think the new wheels will look better. I was impressed by the quality of the Kirovets I bought from him a while back so the choice was made. 

• Like 6

On 07/07/2020 at 21:58, Bengalensis said:

Looking very nice. It seems like this is another of those ICM 1/35 kits that is mostly a joy to build up from all those many small parts.

It is a very nice build. However, I think that the "stubs" with which the parts are connected to the sprue are a bit too short and thick. And because of the softness of the plastic, even when you carefully remove the remaining bits the part is easily damaged, just a little bit. But I don't mind too much, it's a very nicely detailed kit and a good lot of plastic for the money. 

I'm building as much parts as I can, painting is not happening anyway. The coming weekend looks dry so I think a lot of shed time is coming up. 

Seats and doors. I'll add the smaller details after paint. 

20200709201557-0319341a-me.jpg

The doors are good, they have some nice "depth" to them. 

20200709201552-5b51ed21-me.jpg

Also, I'm looking at how much of the cab I can build before paint. I really hate to paint separate parts of a cab and then assemble them. 

20200709201552-87e202b4-me.jpg

I found that I can fit the engine... 

20200709201556-e06ace3f-me.jpg

Slide in the cab from behind... 

20200709201556-a40ca125-me.jpg

and fix the bonnet in place

20200709201557-3120740e-me.jpg

The fit will be better when it's glued of course. This means that I can build and paint the entire cab minus the bonnet assembly in one go. Well, interior first of course. 

• Like 10

After a long wait I finally got some shed time this afternoon. My Spitfire has been ready for paint for ages and it needs to be finished next week so it got most of the attention today. 

But, I also managed to prime the chassis parts and engine of the ZiL. I used Mr Surfacer 1500 Black which is fast becoming my favourite primer. Man that stuff is smooth. After that I painted the chassis Tamiya's Nato Black which is a colour I like a lot. It should be a good base to apply some more black-ish colours, although I'm not going to go crazy on the chassis. Most of it will not be seen anyway. 

Not much to be seen but you can just see the difference between the engine which is still in primer and the chassis' Nato Black. The Tamiya paint lays down beautifully as well with the Mr Color Leveling Thinner. I use it all the time now.

20200711194714-ca669c0f-me.jpg

• Like 6

Nice work Jeroen the contrast of the two types of black paint is very interesting 😉 I use the mr surfacer 1500 all the time and actually it's a pretty good semi gloss black the best primer on the market imo. The Nato black looks almost like a charcoal colour I need to get a jar methinks 🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Andy J said:

The Nato black looks almost like a charcoal colour I need to get a jar methinks

I prefer Nato Black to Black as I find pure black is just that bit too harsh, almost dominating.

• Like 4

I had the airbrush going for the Spitfire so after that was done I had me a huge priming session!

20200712173442-1107e03e-me.jpg

A big step, I can now start on the interiors. First the cab's, so I can finish building it. 

• Like 7

The wheels from Ballaton Models arrived yesterday. They're pretty nice. 

Some extra definition and detail on the sides (the kit tyres have none). 

20200716101702-4e0023fa-me.jpg

Most importantly, there's no big fat mould line down the center. 

20200716101703-99c7d9b0-me.jpg

• Like 10

On 11/07/2020 at 21:35, MR2Don said:

I prefer Nato Black to Black as I find pure black is just that bit too harsh, almost dominating.

That is true. Tamiya Rubber Black is also nice off-black. The bottle cap gives impression that it would have a green/blue tone but thats not really the case.

On 16/07/2020 at 18:08, Andy J said:

I think your going to miss all the fun involved in removing the seam lines from the original wheels 🙂

... and I think I'm gonna order a set of Ballaton tyres too.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I've been on a short holiday but I'm back now and it's time to move on with the ZiL. I've been thinking about how to display the interior of the unit on the back. I'm going to leave the roof removable but I also want to have one of the doors open, so it looks a little more interesting. There's a short ladder that you can extend as well, leading down to the ground from that door. 

I cut the door's hinges halfway through in the back and bent them carefully. 

20200802145842-c2c7d203-me.jpg

Then, I reinforced them with some tiny pieces of strip. 

20200802145842-31f8d4e0-me.jpg

It worked quite well actually, they're pretty strong. Plus the door is not really heavy 🙂 

• Like 8