Grant Mk.I Interior kit

So, this is my first build thread. I haven't got the best equipment for taking great pix, and the light made the weathering so far look a bit starker than in real life. I appreciate good advice on painting and building, but I'm not after a 100 percent accurate model. I apply some artistic freedom, and try to add some visual interest instead of trying to mke everything completely accurate. This will be built OOB, at the moment I'm not inclined to go an extra mile or two with detailing. I'm on holiday, so I try to keep this fun and leisurely.

So far this model https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235059079-grant-mki-full-interior-kit-35217-135/ has been enjoyable to build, very good fitting of parts, and though I have jumped back and forward in the building instructions I haven't met any obstacles so far. And, as a couple of you might want to know, the plastic is good. A bit on the brittle side rather than the soft side, as their Omnibus (wich I really enjoyed building!)

Some pix to start off this thread.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

The thing I dread mostabout building tanks are the tracks. I prefer length and links, to be honest. This kit cries out for a jig (ping: Miniart!) for putting the tracks together. Part Y is "back heavy", and topples over (see red arrow in the pic). So I built a jig myself, see pics and scetch below. I used the kit parts as templates to get the measuremenst correct. It's still a bit fiddly, but it works. Line up a couple of part Ei, insert part Y (see pic), the add a small amount of liquid cement in the recess in part Ei and carefully put Eg on top and press down. Sometimes part Y takes off, so find the best way to get Eg in place; it's a bit crammed in there. A tip is to also keep the kit parts Ei together with a piece of tape. Otherwise it's difficult to keep them in place when you cement Eg on top of them.

Now I can have a little mindfullness moment putting the tracks together, instead of several aaargh moments.

Hope this can be of help, should you choose to build this otherwise lovely kit.

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Torbjörn Hanö
  • Like 4

Nice work with the tracks. IMO, a jig is the best way to assemble these tracks. I made one up for assembling the tracks in the Bronco A13 kits and the same again for the Sherman tracks from Panda Plastics. It makes life so much easier.

John.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice work with the tracks. IMO, a jig is the best way to assemble these tracks. I made one up for assembling the tracks in the Bronco A13 kits and the same again for the Sherman tracks from Panda Plastics. It makes life so much easier.

John.

Sure does!

• 2 weeks later...

Paint and decals are on, now it’s ready for some weathering. It isn’t obvious in the pix, but I used different shades of XF-59 Desert Yellow. After the decals (which performed perfectly!) I applied a flat clear coat (Mission Models). I did some pre-weathering on the “underbelly” before I mounted the wheels and tracks, as those areas are difficult to reach otherwise. Feel free to give some advice.

I saw this picture, so I will try to make it dusty, but not to this extreme extent: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Lee. (The picture on the top right.)

I’ve got one week left of my vacation, my plan is to finish this before I get back to work.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Torbjörn Hanö
  • Like 6

First a pinwash around bolts etc, quite sparingly. Excess paint is dragged in downwards streaks. You can clearly see the weathering I did before I mounted the wheels and tracks.

spacer.png

The some oilpaint rendering, with white, ochre, dust and buff and some rust from Ammo Oilbrushers.

spacer.png

On to some chipping with acrylic colors. I will tone down the white parts, they came out too stark.

spacer.png

And some oil and petrol spills.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up is dusting with pigments, and the finishing touches, attaching tools and so on, hopefully in a couple of days.

Stay cool and healhy, mates!

/T

• Like 7

Well, finished, done and dusted ... or, rather, dusty. This is the first time I’ve used pigments to this extent. Pleased with most of it.

I nice model, enjoyable to build. The tracks are very fiddly, but the result is great. The wheels are a bit fiddly as well, and you have to take care and do a lot of dry-fitting and some adjustment and surgery if you want them to be movable. My plan was to have them level and static, so it wasn’t a big problem. Do follow the steps in the instructions, though.

A couple of different angles, I will try to figure out how to getter better depth of field in upcoming photos from coming builds. As you can see a lot of the interior is visible. The turret is loose som you can see most of what's inside if you pull it off.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And finally some pics with some rucksacks and tarpaulin stuck on the rails. The chains were salvaged from another build.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope you enjoyed this.

Now, what to build next? A cargo tram from Miniart, worn down with a lot of graffiti, perhaps? Or a quick build from my stash?

Stafe cool and safe!

/T

• Like 5

Come out really well. As you say, you can see quite a bit of the interior once finished.

The tarps look particularly good btw.

Nice work

Darryl