Airfix Beaufighter TF.10

My 1st completion of the year (one better than 2019 already!).

This is the pretty well known new tool Airfix Beaufighter from the TF.10 boxing. There's quite a bit of Eduard etch (from the TF.X Big-Ed set), resin wheels from Barracuda, Quickboost fuel vents & Eduard resin exhausts. Painted in Xtracyrlix medium sea grey and night black, with some Tamiya blacks thown in for good measure. Exhaust and collector rings are no less than 7 different shades of Alclad including stainless steel, hot blue and red, exhaust manifold, jet exhaust and I can't recall the other 2! I tried to copy images of the markings on the rockets & failed miserably! my eyesight and hand skills aren't up to the job. Neither can I slice masking tape thin enough to mask a 0.2mm line!

The fit of the kit is generally excellent, with the now familiar Airfix tight tolerances - watch for paint and mold lines on your joints. Speaking of mold lines, I felt there were a lot of them for a recently tooled kit, possibly I had a poor sample or perhaps the molds are slightly misaligned. Ether way I found myself cleaning most parts of unwanted plastic. The engines aren't too well detailed, but are almost invisible on the finished kit, so that's a forgivable. Some dedicated resin replacements (SBS are you listening?) would be a nice addition.

Anyway on to some pics. Apologies for the poor quality - I'm toying with a pop-up light tent, poor side lamps for illumination and a camera too complex for my aging brain cells!

50078473202_1f4af7be64_k.jpgAirfix Beaufighter TF.10 by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

50078473197_c946a2389b_k.jpgAirfix Beaufighter TF.10 by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

50078473162_5fc8b06752_k.jpgAirfix Beaufighter TF.10 by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

Edge

• Like 35

WOW,..... that is gorgeous,...... a wonderful Beau in its final operational scheme,....... it just looks ready to take off and attack some Commies!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fantastic job. I've had half an eye on this because I could swear I saw some decals for an FAA version somewhere. Though I might have dreamt it... 

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

Fantastic job. I've had half an eye on this because I could swear I saw some decals for an FAA version somewhere. Though I might have dreamt it... 

You're not dreaming. Alleycat produce a conversion (complete wings with Merlins) and High Planes produce FAA decals to suit. On my to-do list!

Edge

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Sounds like the teenage O'Toole has been into his war comics again. ;) :D

Steve.

I just don`t like Commies Steve! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edge said:

You're not dreaming. Alleycat produce a conversion (complete wings with Merlins) and High Planes produce FAA decals to suit. On my to-do list!

Edge

So despite the fact that my FAA stash runs to 40+ kits I absolutely need to buy two kits for upcoming Group Builds, an F-35, a Shackleton (since I found out there was one with ROYAL NAVY on the side), and now this. The mrs ain’t gonna be happy.

• Haha 3

You have done a fine job on the kit.

I noted your comments on ageing brain cells and eyesight and feel your pain.

Still, it looks great,

Michael

• Like 1