“Repeat Please?” Josef František - No. 303 'Kosciuszko' Sqn. Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 ** FINISHED **

Nice paint job on the cockpit and also a good save on the fuselage to wing fit. It seems to be a feature of the kit, with just the slightest misalignment causing bigger problems later on.

looking forward to the next update now 😀

• Thanks 1

Update #3 - Construction almost complete

The troublesome wing to body join has held up for over a week now, so I suspect this will stay fixed for a good while yet. All seams have been filled with Mr. Surfacer 1000 although once primed I’ll be able to check how good (or bad) they really are.

I had a little trouble aligning the lower fuselage part to the rear underwing piece.  There’s some nice detailed fabric work here that I wanted to retain so in order to avoid sanding this away I used this as my reference join height and accepted the large resulting gap that can be seen in the photos on the lower port fuselage. A thin piece of plastic card closed this gap, more Mr. Surfacer was applied and it was all sanded smooth until I was happy with the end result. 

Now Airfix also suggest to glue the one piece elevator in place before you attach a small lower rudder post part, however to ease seam clean up later on I deviated slightly by cutting the one piece elevator connecting bar through the middle to make two seperate elevator parts. 

I still have to attach the lower radiator, however will prime and paint it first to get into all those fiddly spots. 

That’s about it for now. Although it’s no shake and bake it, it’s really starting to look like a Hurricane and I’m quite impressed with how she’s turning out shape wise. 

Cheers.. Dave 

50187379631_f8a036a89a_b.jpg

50187379636_c9aa608a95_b.jpg

50186835218_e8db1a8832_b.jpg

50187632247_8185822053_b.jpg

• Like 15

On 7/27/2020 at 3:06 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Update #2 - Construction continues 

I’ve been slowly working on this Hurricane kit and have just cemented the fuselage to the wing and cockpit assembly. I can’t quite work out what’s wrong with my kit, however I’ve had a tricky time just getting to this stage. For some reason the lower wing seemed warped and did not want to sit nicely within the lower fuselage opening, so I’ve had to apply CA to the front section and tightly clamp this in place until the glue set. Then I repeated this action to the rear of the main wing and now hope it all remains firmly in place.

To be honest the initial fit was actually worse, so I cut away the forward section of the cockpit framing which helped it slot in a little better. I’d be interested to know if this is a typical trait of this kit, or (hopefully) just an issue with my copy. Anyway, now that this major step is over I’m hoping the rest will just fall into place like it should. 

Cheers.. Dave  

50156818163_875d7b960f_b.jpg

50157372301_5fa270ffee_b.jpg

50157372241_23dc9eefe5_b.jpg

50157372256_3e327e3a33_b.jpg

Dave

Ive built two of these kits now. The first I had the same problem as you and used the same remedy. The second I can’t remember the exact sequence but I got rid of the instructions and opened up locating holes some more and chopped tabs down a bit, scraped quite a bit of of the mating surfaces of the wing spars constructed as much as possible before painting and it was ok. Second time lucky!

Nice progress by the way. 

James

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update #4 - Primer & Paint & a little friend joins in! 

Apologies for the lack of updates, I have been slowly ticking along, just not spending much time on here of late. I’ll let most of the photos do the talking however here is my Hurricane all primed with Mr. Surfacer 1000, which was followed up by a light rub of Micromesh. My kit had a somewhat overall pebbly plastic finish, however the Mr. Surfacer did a lovely job smoothing this all down. I’ve now also sprayed two coats of Gunze’s Mr. Hobby H74 Sky (Duck Egg Green) which doesn’t quite show up the real green tinge of this paint in the photo below. It’s leaves a lovely eggshell finish which I’m liking a lot. 

50276017188_4da3ab17fa_b.jpg

50276849602_e2cb4d8f7a_b.jpg

50276694516_8da40f6b40_b.jpg

Now hang on, I thought this was a Hurricane thread.... what’s this?? Well all this chatter about Eduards latest 1/48 Spit got be interested, however having an old tool Tamiya kit in the pile I thought why not build this too! I was going to start a seperate thread, however there’s no point repeating another potential 234 Squadron build and it takes the pressure off if I happen not to finish in time. Anyway, this kit has less parts than a new tool 1/72 Airfix single seater and I know it has its faults when compared to the newer tools so here’s a few snaps of my Spit build just for a bit of fun. Just for info - I pinched the seat armour from a scrapped Tamiya Vb kit.

Cheers.. Dave 

50276017218_b4baac8f77_b.jpg

50276849562_541b3f2a10_b.jpg

• Like 14

All looking good Dave. Seeing your Hurricane build reminded me I forgot to add the light glass. Now I will have to get some chrome in there.

My Sky is quite close to yours. I added white to the Tamiya Sky as we discussed. 

The Spitfire is looking good. I'm sure it will be first class.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Seeing your Hurricane build reminded me I forgot to add the light glass

Yes Greg, I made the error of leaving these off on another build, then cursed myself for fitting them later and not being happy how they sat. I now add landing and wingtip lights prior to painting to save repainting again later on. The Sky paint looks like MAP Sky in the above image, however it's certainly 'green' and more akin to something you'd find in a Laura Ashley catalogue.. no guesses who has Duck Egg Blue cushions on their couch.  

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Lovely work on the Hurricane paint Dave - as I would expect!

And always nice to see another Spitfire! But aren’t those rudder pedals going to be a bit difficult for the pilot to get his boots into?

Cheers,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

... But aren’t those rudder pedals going to be a bit difficult for the pilot to get his boots into?

Perhaps Charlie, but my models never have pilots as the Ground Crew always ‘own’ the aircraft, not those pesky drivers! I’ll double check the instructions, but I’m sure that’s how Tamiya tells me to place them.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update #5 - Masking and Dark Earth application 

Now not exactly a modelling chore I enjoy, however masking is both time consuming and energy sapping. I've exhausted a good deal of expensive Tamiya tape to the lower Sky undersides and applied two coats of Gunze H72 Dark Earth to the top. Mixed with their own levelling thinner, these paints really go on super smooth and maintain a lovely glossy sheen when dry. Now according to this website, Gloster delivered R4175 to the RAF somewhere between May and July 1940 and as this build will represent a September / October period I gathered that the fabric surfaces may have had a good dose of sun during the heatwave that was Summer 1940.  To 'attempt' to reflect fading, I've masked off the fabric sections, lightened the Dark Earth with a few spots of white and gave these areas a quick respray. the results are illustrated below. Now to mask off the camouflage pattern and apply the Dark Green. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Website extraction 

Block 2/G, Second Gloster Produced Block

Serial Range R4074 - R4123 (50), R4171 - R4200 (30), R4213 - R4232 (20) Total 100

The second production batch of 100 aircraft manufactured by Gloster Aircraft Co., Brockworth. To contract 19773/39/23a. Aircraft powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin III's, with either Watts two blade fixed pitch, or De-Havilland three blade variable pitch propellers. All aircraft delivered between May 1940 and July 1940, average rate of production 2-3 aircraft per day. All aircraft manufactured with metal wings, most aircraft serving with the R.A.F. during the Battle Of Britain.

50310893806_fa87d1d559_b.jpg

50311067787_9b5dbf0325_b.jpg

50311067707_fd99ab9e88_b.jpg

• Like 11

Looking very good Dave and fully agree on how well the Gunze goes down. I like the colour variation you have achieved on the fabric surfaces. 

Ray

• Thanks 1

Update #6 - Dark Green and a spot of weathering

Home made masks were made (which I forgot to photograph) and Gunze H73 Dark Green applied over the Dark Earth. I wasn’t quite happy with a few of the heavily feathered camo demarcation edges, so went over a few areas a second time to create a harder edge. A thin Dark Earth wash was brushed into the nice crisp upper surface panel lines, some subtle white and smoke weathering powders applied within various panels and an attempt at paint chipping was created with Chrome paint and small pointy paintbrush. I’ve not finished weathering as yet, so will apply decals and take another look to see what else needs doing. Once I removed the masking I realised the lower fuse sky demarcation seemed a little too low, so I’ll raise this by about a millimeter or two to correct it. Enough chatter, here’s some photos. 

Cheers.. Dave 

50332038163_02682b3dce_b.jpg

50332884992_43e0b8feb3_b.jpg

50332038148_fca6f1b54b_b.jpg

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

Update #7 - Belated Finish. 

I must apologise for not providing regular updates to this build, however I’ve been caught up with the very large and popular Heller GB... so that’s my excuse anyway. Thankfully, I’ve now been able to finish this Hurricane off and am pleased to say that I timed it for October 7th, Sgt. Josef František's birthday. 

On this day in 1940, František would have been celebrating his 26th Birthday, however returning from a patrol the very next day, his Hurricane crashed in Ewell, Surrey. The cause of the crash is not known, however it has been suggested he may have been trying to impress his girlfriend performing aerobatics and mistimed a manoeuvre. Either way, lets just hope he was able to celebrate his 26th birthday long and hard.

R4175 was František‘s most successful Hurricane with seven of his victories claimed whilst flying this aircraft. A Gloster built machine, evidence suggests that Gloster’s were still using up their stock of pre-war ‘bright’ colours paints which is shown in the upper surface national insignia. The lower wing roundels were applied at unit level and are painted in the ‘correct’ dull colours of the day. 

Thanks to the GB hosts and all other members for the support and encouragement throughout this build.. and apologies once again for channeling my recent BM time to a rival GB. I’ll get some Gallery photos up a little later (edit - now added). 

Cheers.. Dave 

50429714078_fbb8895cc2_b.jpg

50429714048_c610e0c5cf_b.jpg

50429714023_d3e8f3a1bf_b.jpg

50429714008_c4715fc4e1_b.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations, Dave , on an excellent result - that Hurricane looks brilliant. (I'm loving the shape of these aircraft at the moment so no doubt will rummage the stash and dig out all those old kits for a comparison). Great detail on show here and a good advert for the new tool Airfix kits. You must be delighted with this one? All the best. Mike.

• Thanks 1