F/A-18D Hornet, VMFA-121 Green Knights, Kuwait 2007

Hello Britmodellers! 

Here's one of my lockdown builds, made for the In The Navy groupbuild. 

tn_IMG_20200419_120410

It's the Kinetic 1/32 kit (reboxed Academy) and one of the best jet models you can get.

tn_IMG_20200419_120331

This one's mostly out of the box except the cockpit (Avionix), seats (Aires), chaff buckets (F4dable Models) and armament, which is a mix of Wolfpack (GBU-38) and Trumpeter (GBU-12).

tn_IMG_20200419_120629

It's a really attractive two-sided scheme with the flag on the airbrake, excellent decals by Flying Leathernecks. 

tn_IMG_20200419_120726

I used Xtracrylix paint for the main scheme and Colourcoats for the wear and tear effects.

tn_IMG_20200419_121234

This aircraft was painted in Kuwait at the end of the deployment in 2007 but my main references were some excellent photos of it at Las Vegas shortly afterwards, so the degree of dirtiness is reasonable for a special scheme! 

tn_IMG_20200419_121551

The wings were depicted folded even though that's not normal for land-based Marine examples, because I think it's nice to show off an aircraft's unique features on a model! 

tn_IMG_20200419_121612

tn_IMG_20200419_122554

The two-sided scheme is also very attractive, commemorating all the units making up MAG-2 at the time.

tn_IMG_20200419_121939

The cockpit was a Black Box/Avionix set from way back, but built up really well. The kit canopy was less fun to build...it's the biggest clear part I've seen on any model, and the attachment points were very flimsy to hold such a large cantilevered piece. Epoxy glue was the only solution.

tn_IMG_20200419_122248

Unusually for me, I even painted up the underside (out of sight out of mind is my usual policy 😂

tn_IMG_20200419_122142

If anyone's still reading this, the build thread is here:

All the best, stay safe and thanks for looking, 

Alan :cheers:

• Like 48

Really like that mate. Nice build and the cockpit looks smashing. I have a couple in the stash to do as well having seen the real thing once or twice in action. Just wish someone would pull some fingers out with some more up to date other than 2002 RAAF decals for the Middle East.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Callahan said:

Absolutely great Hornet, looks awesome

Thanks Harry 👍

45 minutes ago, Bill.B said:

Very nicely made model and I especially like the weathering. :yes:

Thanks a lot Bill, this is the first time I tried painting the dirt and wear rather than using washes and it worked much better. 

13 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Very nice alan 👍

Cheers Glynn, you know all about this one already 😁

Thanks again, 

Alan 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Greg B said:

Really like that mate. Nice build and the cockpit looks smashing. I have a couple in the stash to do as well having seen the real thing once or twice in action. Just wish someone would pull some fingers out with some more up to date other than 2002 RAAF decals for the Middle East.

Thanks a lot mate, cockpits are my thing so might as well do it properly 😂

Not much going on with decals for non-US subjects, considering the aircraft is/was used by many forces around the world 😕

Cheers! 

• Like 1

Fantastic model Alan, one of the best Hornets I've seen! I think replacing all the mesh was worth the hassle and the cockpit is very convincing, love the HUD. What in the end did you use for the cockpit screens? Excellent job again!

David 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Fantastic model Alan, one of the best Hornets I've seen! I think replacing all the mesh was worth the hassle and the cockpit is very convincing, love the HUD. What in the end did you use for the cockpit screens? Excellent job again!

David 

Thanks David, high praise indeed from you 😊👍

The screens are covered with reflective polarised film from Hasegawa over a black background. 

1 hour ago, speedy said:

Great model AP, is this pre-self harming🤒. I never knew the Kinetic kit was an Academy tool.

😂😂😂 Yes thankfully before. The Kinetic boxing might be the only way to get the Night Attack version these days. 

Thanks again folks 👍

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 12:45 PM, SAT69 said:

Excellent build; very appropriate weathering and the cockpit is truly awesome. 

Thanks very much (and it's nice to be able to read your posts at last!) 😉👍

On 7/6/2020 at 2:35 PM, Stephen said:

That is fantastic Al, great work.

Thanks very much Stephen, means a lot coming from a grey jet expert 🙏

On 7/6/2020 at 4:58 PM, exdraken said:

Fantastic result!!

Thanks my friend 👍 appreciate your input during the build. 

On 7/6/2020 at 9:19 PM, phildagreek said:

Very nice!

Thank you very much Phil 😊

Awesome build with very attractive markings Alan. I have four samples of Academy Hornets (C and D with Academy boxing and two A/B/C/D with Kinetic rebox) in this scale. Most probably I will never have time to build them. But having them makes me feel good 🙂

Serkan

• Haha 1

Absolutely gorgeous Al, a mighty fine build. Love the tail markings and that flag on the speed brake is superb. 

Lovely work Sir.

Eng

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Awesome build with very attractive markings Alan. I have four samples of Academy Hornets (C and D with Academy boxing and two A/B/C/D with Kinetic rebox) in this scale. Most probably I will never have time to build them. But having them makes me feel good 🙂

Serkan

Thanks very much Serkan! If you ever lose that feelgood feeling, PM me! Can't have enough Hornets in my opinion 😁

13 hours ago, jimmyg352 said:

Lovely job Alan! Weathering looks spot on!

Thank you, first time I used paint instead of washes and I'll stick with that from now on. 

9 hours ago, eng said:

Absolutely gorgeous Al, a mighty fine build. Love the tail markings and that flag on the speed brake is superb. 

Lovely work Sir.

Grae you're a gent 👍 thank you! 

That's a real attention grabber, lovely scheme and the weathering is first class

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2020 at 9:47 AM, Hobo said:

Incredible build. Looks amazing.

20 hours ago, F-32 said:

That's a real attention grabber, lovely scheme and the weathering is first class

Thanks very much gents! Will be posting its big brother from the Navy soon...😉