Zil-131 Command Vehicle (ICM Chernobyl)

Zil-131 command vehicle (KShM)

Hi there, having finished my first ever car build (ICM 1:35 Moskvitch) I thought I'd continue straight on to my second one - a Zil truck from the ICM Chernobyl #1 box.

spacer.png

Very nice box art - and is really precise in what actually comes with the box: Zil truck, figures, guard hut & scenic background.

spacer.png

But this is what we are building from the box for now.

spacer.png

It all seems quite complicated - a total of 125 build stages is not something I've used to. But ICM instructions seem very clear and precise, so I think I will be OK.

spacer.png

Nice pile of plastic, these are the parts that make out a Zil truck.

spacer.png

Detail is very nice and sharp - even if the plastic feels bit soft. Easy to work with, just need to be careful when tidying up as the knife really sinks into the plastic. The kit is apparently made out of two different sets of plastic - one on top is 'generic' Zil sprue, one on the below is a different shade of grey and is specific to the command vehicle.

spacer.png

During the construction phase I made a bit of a mess out of the Moskvitch, so I try to be more careful this time and follow the instuctions so that it all comes together as it should. Ive cut down the parts needed to put together the frame.

spacer.png

Parts have been cleaned and assembly can begin.

spacer.png

There were some ejector pin marks that I did not clean, though. They are on the inside of the framework under the truck so I figured it's not worth the hassle.

spacer.png

Fit is excellent, everything has it's place.

spacer.png

As the plastic is quite soft, it's quite easy to get things out of shape. I made sure with some weight that the alignment of the frame is not wonky in the end.

spacer.png

And here we are - slap on some tyres & cabin and we have a finished truck! :giggle:

So far this truck seems awesome. And as this is all new to me (I'm more at hope with things that have wings), if you have any good tips regards truck building (I'm looking at you @JeroenS ), please feel free to share your wisdom. I rather avoid the pitfalls than walk right into them :D 

• Like 13

Ha! This is great @reini, you know what? I started my ZiL 131 Emergency truck yesterday and I was just about to start a WIP for it 🙂 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, reini said:

@JeroenS ... sooo, it's a race, then? :P

Feeling brave, are we? I bet that's only because you just found out I have a full interior to build 😄 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Feeling brave, are we? I bet that's only because you just found out I have a full interior to build 😄 

As a matter of fact - I think it would have been beneficial for me if the kit DIDN'T have interior - because then you would have scratchbuilt it :D

• Haha 1

spacer.png

Tanks, I think I leave the unglued for the moment and paint them with slightly different shade of black.

spacer.png

Engine is taking shape. Have to think what I can glue already and what I can't. Engine is mainly other colors than black (which is the main color of the frame) so it will stay out for now.

spacer.png

Taking shape, slowly.

spacer.png

There's quite a few parts so the cleaning takes quite a bit of time.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Hmm that kinda sorta looks familiar 🙂 

Only, your plastic has a different colour! 

Indeed - mine is gray. Not 50 but 2 shades of grey to be precise.

3 minutes ago, reini said:

Indeed - mine is gray. Not 50 but 2 shades of grey to be precise.

I think us blokes can make do with just 2 shades

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trying not to fall too much behind, @JeroenS has made some good progress with his Zil.

spacer.png

It takes little bit of figuring out what I can glue and what I can't. Here, the engine and the rear wheel thingy aren't glued yet.

spacer.png

They come a part like so. Engine is left separately as it's different color and it's easier to weather - but the rear wheel thingy (I don't know car parts, okay.. :P ) I actually glued.

spacer.png

This is all the framework ready for base colors. I won't bother with primer as there are nothing that needs to be hidden and Tamiya works nicely straight onto plastic too.

spacer.png

And we have the base colors for the framework down. Engine, Vallejo Metal Color Semi Matte Aluminium, main frame Tamiya Rubber Black, fuel tanks and front bumber Tamiya Nato Black (just to add little variation to the blacks) and Life Color Burned Rust for the exhausts.

I think I will do some basic weathering before I stick it all together. Probably add semi-gloss coat as the colors are very flat right now.

And I can start working on the cabin too.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

@reiniThat thingy is your rear tandem axle 🙂 

Looking good... it does build up quite nicely doesn't it?

Thanks! :D It really does, despite the little bit soft plastic - things fall into place quite nicely for the most part. I haven't had any problem areas yet.

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

@JeroenS Had a good solution on building the cabin so that it can be painted separately - so I just copied what he did on his build. Keeping the bonnet off I can slide the cabin on and off.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Doors - only missing the windows.

spacer.png

Ejector pin marks puttied over. Not sure if these are gonna be visible but I thought I'd be on the safe side.

spacer.png

I put a satin coat over the frame and did some basic weathering to it.

spacer.png

Frame assembled.

spacer.png

And the underside. The exhaust got some paint damage during the assembly, but I will have to do some additional weathering anyways.

spacer.png

Resin wheels from Balaton Models (https://www.balatonmodellshop.co.uk/) arrived. VERY crisp and nice details, lightyears ahead of the rubber kit tyres. Thanks for @JeroenS finding these, I'm sure they will take the kit to the next level.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some comparison shots between the kit wheels and Balaton wheels.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

50322873693_9f60f94884_o.jpg

I've been building this little bit here and there for a while now without any noticeable progress. But I finally built the cabin on the back and started adding all the small bits to it.

50323539616_17eaeaae47_o.jpg

All the small bits glued on - on this side of the cabin atleast.

50323717042_097d775ccd_o.jpg

I got some paint on, some rubber black for the interior parts.

50323539736_01c08533d3_o.jpg

And some primer for the exterior parts. Now I can start looking for a nice shade of green... any suggestions for a chernobyl era russian truck? Tamiya & Vallejo are my primary paint choices at the moment.

• Like 6

On 29/07/2020 at 17:03, reini said:

Some comparison shots between the kit wheels and Balaton wheels.

Wow!! Removing that seam line on the kit's tyres would have been fun. Great work so far.

John.

• Like 1

50346523171_61eefbd921_o.jpg

Got the seat covers done. Tissue paper and PVA glue watered down. I thought that the original seats were just too smooth with no details.

50346682392_1eb3dd600a_o.jpg

First layer of paint.

50346523126_678d1af15c_o.jpg

Also some washes to the exterior. Or I guess it's more of a filter as it's barely noticeable, just slight change in tint. But I guess it's good enough to start the actual weathering. I will probably do the interior first so I can assemble the cabin some more.

• Like 8

• 9 months later...
24 minutes ago, reini said:

Almost beat you to it @JeroenS, but not quite ;)

😄... it's not a competition you know 😉 

That looks fab, I'm off to the RFI!

• Like 1