Hi Folks.

This is my third and final installment of the F-14 Trilogy. Presented for your viewing entertainment, RENEGADE 200 from VF-24, sister squadron to VF-211 which was also based at NAS Miramar, CA.

200-2

Compared to my VF-211 bird, building this model was a bit easier, the decals coming straight from the Furball Decals sheet, which performed brilliantly.

200-1

Like most of my builds, the aftermarket stuff was kept to a minimum, the differences being this time i tried the Eduard BRASSIN Resin Cockpit set and the DEF Resins aftermarket wheels. i also used the Galaxy Models F-14 Painting Mask set, which is even more extensive than the increasingly hard- to- find NewWare mask set.

200-10 200-11

I'm also a big fan of the MASTER models brass Angle of Attack sensors, since they can be added very late in construction. You can buy them in packs of 5, making them a bit more cost-efficient if you like to build F-4s, F-14s, -15s, and -16s. The hardest thing is manipulating them and getting them into position, without launching them into low earth orbit.

200-12

The model was painted with Tamiya acrylics for the interior (which marks the final phasing-out of my enamels) and the exterior was painted with a base coat of Mr Base White, followed by Mr Color Insignia White, then a top coat of Mr Color Gloss Light Gull Gray. H315 has pretty much become my "Go-To" choice for Navy subject matter. The radome tan is also Mr Color. Metallic parts of the model were done with MM Metalizer, the exception being i used Mr Stainless on the intake lips and Mr Color H8 Silver on the metal parts of the "beaver tail" Some friends commented that the hot sections on the back end looked too bright, so i mopped them down with a wash of Tamiya Flat Black.

200-5 200-6

I'm not really a fan of the Phoenix Missile system, despite it being the Tomcat's "Raison d'Etre". However, for my last F-14 i thought i'd do at least ONE with the Phoenix installation. Besides, the subject aircraft i was modelling showed the Phoenix pallets installed most of the time anyway.

200-18

The Phoenix Missiles were rather tedious to finish, requiring a couple of re-painting iterations and re-decaling when i discovered i applied the stencils upside down! However, 2 AIM-54As combined with a single AIM-7 and a brace of AIM-9s makes for a well-rounded weapons compliment.

Phoenix 011 Phoenix 013 Sidewinder 003 Sidewinder 002 200-8

Here's some photos taken against more of a contrasty background...

200-15 200-14 200-16 200-17

RENEGADE 200 marks the end of my Tomcat project that started in 2017. For those who don't recall seeing my First Tomcat (GYPSY 203) here it is...

IMG_0039 IMG_0075

Man cannot live on Tomcats alone (or Corsairs for that matter) so its time to get back to my F8U projects and finish out that trilogy as well.

Thanks for shopping!

200-4

Edited by David H
  • Like 45

Exquisitely done VF-24 'cat. I especially like that you mounted the AIM-7 on the centerline. The Tomcat had that capability but it's rare you see it modeled. Your weapons are beautifully represented! No complaints about the VF-32 bird either. Absolutely wonderful.

Beautifully done. Love those early Tomcats. In the UK we used to see Atlantic Fleet F-14s at airshows during the late 70s including VF-32. At Farnborough 76 there was a fantastic F-14 display and it turned out that one was going to VF-24 after the show - such a shame it wasn’t carrying any squadron marks at the time. Thanks for reminding me of those exciting times.

On 7/8/2020 at 4:58 AM, Booty003 said:

Another stunning Tomcat.  She sure did wear some beautiful clothes in her time, much prefer these than TPS.

Lacquers and Acrylics with their much faster drying times make paint schemes like this much more attainable for model builders. Tactical paint schemes? Not a fan.