FROG Corsair, FAA - Finished

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

watching the old 1/72 kits come together

Thanks Ray! I like the little challenges that old kits throw up, and if it all goes pear shaped then I can always blame the kit :)

31 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

large gap

Luckily, the front aerial comes with a correspondingly large block! It makes sense from a moulding perspective as a way to get a positive mounting for the aerial on a sloping fuselage side. Still needed a smear or two of filler though.

• Like 1

I keep doing things out of order. I didn’t fancy my chances of scribing a circle onto the fuselage after sticking the aerial and undercarriage doors on, so I cut out a circle of regular paper and stuck it down with Future:

8-E156735-47-A5-49-D4-A250-07186-DDF597-

Looks OK under a few coats of grey:

0-FA489-D2-C5-D5-47-F5-A0-E4-C03-EF196-D

14 hours ago, rob85 said:

mix the olive drab for the slate grey

Tomorrow’s job when this colour has hardened off...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I keep doing things out of order. I didn’t fancy my chances of scribing a circle onto the fuselage after sticking the aerial and undercarriage doors on, so I cut out a circle of regular paper and stuck it down with Future:

8-E156735-47-A5-49-D4-A250-07186-DDF597-

Looks OK under a few coats of grey:

0-FA489-D2-C5-D5-47-F5-A0-E4-C03-EF196-D

Tomorrow’s job when this colour has hardened off...

Now thats a trick I've thought might work for nose-art but never thought about using it for panels ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I cut out a circle of regular paper and stuck it down with Future:

Great idea!

• Thanks 1

Having got a nice dark grey I added some Humbrol 64 light grey to the Humbrol 79 base coat and dry brushed some variation and fading:

04173-A88-6-F70-4-D10-842-B-BD8-DC928-C1

And I tried a variety of mixes for the Olive Drab replacement for Dark Slate Grey and ended up with Revell 68 with Humbrol 160, adding Humbrol 93 for the faded dry brush layer:

A2-D128-BC-3798-41-B2-8522-09-F02-D8-E36

It matches the tone in the picture of delivery Corsairs in the Wikipedia article and it looks good too. I will get that on tonight after work.

[edit - it’s also a good match for Dennis’s scheme here, although my EDSG is a bit grey-grey and could be a little bluer]

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

paper circle is surprisingly effective.

Thanks! When you just want a simple flat feature, paper and Future (or varnish) is pretty flexible, easy and foolproof, needing no cleanup. The plate over the fuel tank is a very prominent feature and so I think it works in this case. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 10:16 AM, AdrianMF said:

Well, it’s six now but who’s counting, eh :)

When you dunk a canopy repeatedly it starts to form white areas In corners where the new Future reacts with the previous not-fully-cured layers. It does clear up but I’m taking that as a sign that it’s had enough dunking!

I've had that on decals when sloshing too much Klear on them. Scared the bejeezus out of me first time it happened but it disappeared overnight.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Great thread Adrian

Thanks Cookie! I’m having a blast with this one and I hope some of the fun is rubbing off.

6 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I've had that on decals when sloshing too much Klear on them.

Wow, that must be a lot of Klear! The one thing I’ve learned with Klear/Future is “leave it alone until it’s dry”...

I managed to match my green/chocolate mix this evening so I painted up and gave it a dry brush with a lighter version:

E5-C2-C6-A7-330-A-4-D07-9-B2-A-3-AB0112-

[edit - how much chocolate in the green? Add it a little at a time and mix as you go. You will hear yourself going “green... still green... still green... ewww!” Stop when you get to “ewww”. It’s nearly 50:50 because the Revell green is a really strong colour.]

• Like 5

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Wow, that must be a lot of Klear! The one thing I’ve learned with Klear/Future is “leave it alone until it’s dry”...

Yeah, my modelling has been blighted by a chronic lack of patience, but I'm trying.

I'm enjoying your build, I will be doing an FAA Corsair for the upcoming Heller Classic GB so am on the lookout for tips 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Before work I applied a couple of Woodland Scenics rub down codes each side:

CD254-ECE-7633-499-F-80-B7-DD4-D9-DBEAB3

I had the “6” break up on one side and the “A” on the other but I’ve managed to patch them up using just one more “A” and a touch of Citadel Ceramite White.

I’m rather amused by how every picture has shown wildly different brightnesses and shades of colour for the topsides!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I will be doing an FAA Corsair for the upcoming Heller Classic GB so am on the lookout for tips 🙂

I think my tip would be that if the Heller Corsair is a repop of the Airfix one, choose another kit! I’m looking forward to the Heller GB.

[edit - according to scalemates.com, Heller gave their own mould but they have also re-boxed the Airfix kit]

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I think my tip would be that if the Heller Corsair is a repop of the Airfix one, choose another kit! I’m looking forward to the Heller GB.

I’m doing the Smer one which is a Heller rebox, not the same as the Airfix mould. I did one of those recently and it was a mutt.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I’m doing the Smer one which is a Heller rebox, not the same as the Airfix mould. I did one of those recently and it was a mutt.

So is the Heller/Smer kit but a bit less so. @John Masters built one recently & did a good job on it, so worth finding his build in the Corsair GB, I built it a few years back & from memory the engine was very poor & the aerial was in the wrong place.

@AdrianMF that is looking so good, maybe my mint in box one won't be sold on after all. :D

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After staying up stupidly late (or early) last night, it’s finished!

0-E56-F605-E8-B9-4037-B8-E7-BF0-B93-B2-D

0376-B14-C-5164-467-D-9-AB7-83-B1627-D80

22-BDFD17-8-F0-B-410-F-845-D-B54-B7-DBBB

7-F129-A43-CACA-4734-A716-ECCC2-CBCE7-BE

8-C914238-F6-F5-4-F5-F-8337-DB027-EE3379

E04883-EE-E2-FB-4-A8-A-8605-D3-B5-DD94-A
...and a simulated deck incident...

F0225-DD5-86-DE-4-DC3-995-A-68-B9-F606-F

I need a new piece of blue card and I need to take some better pictures for the gallery.

I think I got my two quids’ worth! The only changes I made were wheel wells, cooling gills and a smidgeon of cockpit detail, which counts as nearly OOB for me. The wings are definitely lacking in dihedral, although I think that’s more to do with the lack of mid-wing bend than the fuselage join, and the canopy was frosted (although it might have been just my cheap kit).

Thank you to @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @modelling minion and @Col. for hosting the GB and  for all the feedback I’ve received. Time to go and look at some other Corsair builds now!

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 13

21 hours ago, modelling minion said:

description of when to stop mixing.

It’s absolutely accurate! The change is quite abrupt.

15 hours ago, stevehnz said:

maybe my mint in box one won't be sold on after all.

Always a tough one! It is a surprisingly nice kit given its historical context (1972), but my next one will be Tamiya. Given the silly eBay prices for old kits it probably will cost about the same anyway!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Thank you to @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @modelling minion and @Col. for hosting the GB and  for all the feedback I’ve received

You sir are more than welcome.

Your builds are always both informative and entertaining and you never cease to amaze me with what you can do with prehistoric plastic, I would love to see what you can do with a Tamiya one, as this one looks great.

Very well done Adrian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1