Mercedes 300SL Gullwing 1/24 Tamiya with photoetched detail up set from Hobby Design

Good afternoon, chaps :)

Slowly but surely, she's taking form...

50863574217_46a21d472c_b.jpg   50863468801_796cccb131_b.jpg

50862756273_de79bc8448_b.jpg   50862756263_1759d6f10e_b.jpg

50863468746_a4f4af8209_h.jpg

No dust, no rust, and now the bodywork is ready to receive its top clear coat....not before 4 days, to get a complete and in depth drying 😕

Stay tuned for next steps and thanks for watching 😎

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Condolences to you and your family, Thierry. Even if you know that it is inevitable, it is always too soon. Take good care.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all of you guys, for your support.

I should have finished already the clear coating, but I'm too tired and too sluggish to begin the job.

Hopefully I'll do that this week, if weather permit it...

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening, Gentlemen :) 

It's been a long time since I wrote my previous post !

Have find time and courage to beginning the clear-coating of this beauty, using Zero Paints 2K Diamond Finish.

First, I've ordered a 3M paint mask to avoid breathing toxic fumes.

Second, I did a try over a spare decal from the same kit, in order to check if the ZP clear coat is aggressive or not over them....result: no trouble.

Well, I've so spray a first mist coat over doors, bonnets and bodywork, and then, after 5 minutes drying, as advised, a first wet coat.

The result exceed my expectations, and is frankly excellent.

I've got a very few orange skin on the bonnet only, probably because the coat was too wet on it, but nothing that a good polishing (Gravity compounds) couldn't fix.

let's go for some pictures:

51009529276_40e8937af3_b.jpg  51009628897_4c3dd468f1_b.jpg   

I've now to carefully sand the first wet coat to remove some dust micro-particles, when it's fully dried, probably tomorrow evening.

Obviously, it was impossible for me to get a perfect result...I subscribed a long time ago to daytoday issues...so, after I have sprayed the first wet coat, I noticed that there was a lack of paint underneath over a very small area at the rear and top of the right door opening.

Of course, it's a very very tiny defect, but now, I'm seeing only that !

51009633227_bbcba89a4b_b.jpg

Il think I'll try to repair this little defect, this way:

- Tomorrow evening, after 24 hours drying

- gently spray over it, with very low pressure (10 psi) and very low flow the Daimler Silver paint

- let it dry 1 or 2 hours, if not a whole day, before spraying locally a mist coat of 2K Clear

- let it cure ...

And then airbrushing the second wet coat over the whole bodywork, doors and bonnets

Stay tuned for next steps if you like, and thanks for watching :)

• Like 6

Evening guys :)

Things sometimes don't go the way we want !

Today, after having repaired the little defects on the bodywork and sanded the bonnet to remove the orange peel, I've begun to spray the second and then the third clear coats .

I've strictly followed the same process than the first time, in terms of dust removal, of spray booth preparation and 2K Clear coat components mixing.

I've used the same airbrush pressure 20 psi, the same paint flow, and my airbrush had been entirely disassembled and cleaned previously .

I've so sprayed the same way, imho, all the bodywork elements : main body, 2 doors and bonnet.

And the result is:

- I've got a quite perfect mirror surface over the doors

- But a little orange peel effect on the main body, from place to place

- And a medium orange peel effect on the bonnet

Frankly, it's rather incomprehensible for me ! Why a different results between these parts, while I used the same techniques ?

51020376377_2d63b859c4_b.jpg   51020276491_dee1abca68_b.jpg

Obviously, it's not a big problem, because there's 4 coats of clear over the bodywork !

So, It would be easy to remove the orange peel effect, without risking to burn the 4 clear coats and the Silver paint underneath, using Tamiya sponges 2000 (if not 1500) grits, 3000 grits, then 3600/4000/6000/8000 Micromesh, and finally polish all that stuff with Tamiya or Gravity compounds

BUT, it will be, for sure, a very long and painful job !

Considering the result I got after the 2 first coats, and that I expected to get again for the latter, I'm very disappointed !

As said @PROPELLER, "In paint, there's pain" 

Now, I've to wait until tomorrow afternoon before beginning the tedious sanding job....

Nevertheless, I would hope and I think I would achieve to get a decent if not perfect result.... a mirror finish !

Wish me luck and see you soon for new adventures :)

`

• Like 3
  • Sad 2