Mercedes 300SL Gullwing 1/24 Tamiya with photoetched detail up set from Hobby Design

Good evening Chaps :)

Well ! the bodywork, the bonnet and the doors have been primed again with Alcald Grey Primer and micro-filler:

3 light coats and a wetter one, with slight sanding 3000 grit between each layer.

The result is rather good, it remains to sand the surface as smooth as possible with 4000 the 6000 grit before applying the bright black coat.

50835134663_29f082a6f4_h.jpg

50835945367_7c21696e80_b.jpg

50835945342_17a3a971da_b.jpg   50835866561_475169057a_b.jpg

50835866586_62b64b0354_b.jpg

50835945447_d77b13b5b5_h.jpg

I've also finished the underbody with the black painting of each bolt:

50835896451_6f58036403_h.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll spray the black under-coat

Stay tuned for the next steps 😉

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just did a couple of weeks worth of catch-up, you've done an amazing job on the interior! And I'm glad you were able to recover your paint mishap on the body so well. A very nice smooth primer coat.

I think it was you who said to me once, when I had issues with the paint on my Scania 143 body: "in paint there is pain"... 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Eevening Gentlmen :)

"In paint, there' pain..." ....really true; at least for me !

This afternoon, I've sprayed 5 super light coats of thinned Tamiya semi-gloss black X18 over the bodywork, doors and bonnet.

I had planned to spray only 3 coats, but after the third one, I got  a bit of orange peel, and I've had to sand it carefully to remove it....so, to get finally an even aspect of the paint, I've had to spray to coats more

Why X18 and not gloss black X1 ?

Because my purpose was not get a bright finish, as if I would have to spray then a metallic color, such as Alclad aluminum, chrome etc..

My aim was to get a black smooth surface, which:

- 1/ allow the Daimler silver to get a better shine than if I had sprayed it on a grey surface

- 2/ avoid the solvents of Gravity Daimler Silver to react with the primer underneath

So the result looks convincing:

50838101528_379628bcdd_h.jpg

50838829531_195bce259d_h.jpg

50838913042_7f11dd4bfa_h.jpg

Under the strong  light and with the magnification of the photograph, the paint seems to be grainy, but with the naked eye, even taking a close look, it isn't.

In any case, there will be over it 3 coats of Daimler Silver, and then 2 coats of Gloss Clear.

Now, I've to be patient and wait 24 hours the complete drying of these underlays, before spaying the final color 🙄

Stay tuned if you like :)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Evening  Gentlemen :)

While I've begun interesting  things with the final coats of paint over the bodywork, it's still the morning in Canada where much more serious things are happening 🤔

My daughter-in-law went 2 hours ago in labour room and is actually giving birth to my first grand-son (I've already 2 grand-daughters). I couldn't resist to share with you all this great new.

Preparing for the birth which could not occur before several hours, I let you see where I am with my MB  gestation:...2  light veil of Daimler Silver has been sprayed at the moment :

50841047113_7de0fc4787_b.jpg   50841784796_cd2f0ecf28_b.jpg

50841859267_3ff0b4f3db_h.jpg

As you can see, this time, no bad reaction between the Gravity Color and the underlays, pffuu !

The paint look rather dark on the photos but is in reality much more light.

There's very very few micro-dust on the paint, but a very slight and sweet 6000 grit sanding will be necessary before spraying the final heavier coats.

We'll see that tomorrow :)

• Like 8

In paint there is pain :)

I've noticed a big defect on the bodywork paint, once dried 

Where I had used files to open the rear top vents, the plastic has been scratched  sometimes rather deeply, and this wasn't visible on the white plastic, neither with the primer and the black coat, otherwise I would have fixed that before the painting job

But with the silver one, the scratches have been strongly revealed, ans it's impossible for me to live with this !

So, let's go for a new Glanzer bath, putty, sanding, putty, sanding, priming, and so on ...😰

A birth is always a difficult moment for the pregnant 😕

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh oh, it’s turning out like a Pocher built where you do stuff, undo and redo and ..... redo.

Hope all will be well with your daughter and grandson.

My grand-son Mickael was born at 5:45 pm local hour, his weight 4060 gr, and is doing well

My daughter-in-law had to undergo a cesarean section, and she has fever and possibly a leg-vein thrombosis and/or an infection, so I'm very anxious, as you can imagine.

Compared with this kind of issue, my paint one is very minor !

Nethertheless, I've solved the problem of my scratches, and I'm waiting tomorrow afternoon to start again the painting job.

• Like 4

Good morning "Brittanica" :)

No news at the moment from my Canadian family, so probably good  news :)

Hereunder some pictures of the Daimler Silver in day light, with the doors, after the 2 first coats  - Of course, still a bit of undesirable dust to spoil the photographs !

50844670896_188fe15065_b.jpg   50844752407_02bda7ea7e_b.jpg

And the scratches at the rear of the top vents have almost  disappeared (what is annoying with "almost" is "almost" ).

The result is frankly imperfect , but much better and acceptable. I can do no more, imho...

50844770577_4f75e5be29_b.jpg   50844770592_a3bffbec02_b.jpg

Stay tuned for the next stages :)

• Like 5

Congratulations on the arrival of your grandson and wishing your daughter in law a speedy recovery.

Your 300 is looking stunning, your attention to detail takes this to the next level!

Stay safe         Roger

4 hours ago, airea said:

Why did you choose a less shiny surface? The clear coat will, in any case, make it shiny in the end? 

It's explained in my Friday post:

"

Why X18 semi-gloss black and not gloss black X1 ?

Because my purpose was not get a bright finish, as if I would have to spray then a metallic color, such as Alclad aluminum, chrome etc..

My aim was to get a black smooth surface, which:

- 1/ allow the Daimler silver to get a better shine than if I had sprayed it on a grey surface

- 2/ avoid the solvents of Gravity Daimler Silver to react with the primer underneath"

• Like 1

Good evening guys :)

All is going well today, my son, my daughter in lw, my grand-son, and....my painting job 😎

After the slight sanding job of the primer to get it smooth, 3 coats of semi-gloss black, a good drying and a light sanding of this underlay, I've sprayed successfully 2 light coats, then a medium and finally a wet coat of Daimler Silver :)

My God ! These Gravity paints are absolutely fantastic.

You could see for yourself:

50849214948_d582715368_h.jpg

50849937066_b388ce5624_h.jpg

50849937056_195b89df0b_h.jpg

50849282698_6650278237_b.jpg   50849282703_3a0d49a050_b.jpg

There is some (very few) dust particles here and there and  a light sanding with 6000 then 8000 grit has to be done, before applying the clear coats.

Wish me luck, please :)

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, Pouln said:

Nicely done, Thierry. Looks really good. And good luck with the gloss. What brand will you be using?

I'm hesitating between Alclad Klear Kote Gloss, Gravity Colors Clear (3 components) and Zero Paints 2 Pack Clearcoat Diamond Finish

I've already tried Alclad Clear over Gravity Daimler Silver, when I have cleared the underbody, and they match well, without any undesirable reaction... Furthermore, it dries and cures very quickly

The Gravity Color clear 3 components would match perfectly with Gravity Colors paint, but I know, by (bad) experience, that it is very difficult to spray correctly (possibly due to the fact that I'm a newbie in clear coating) and that overall it dries very slowly

I've never used the Zero Paints one, but all the critics I've read on Britmodeller website, or heard on Youtube videos, make me thinking that it could be the Graal.

At least, there is also the Mister Super Clear UV Cut, which dries and cures quickly nd give without great difficulty a rather good aspect.

I think that I should make different tries on an old sprue with each of one

Where is the bonnet ?

50850373306_c5168098da_h.jpg

Decidedly I'm a subscriber to mishaps 😡

A tool escaped my hands and of course have found fun to hit the bonnet that was quietly curing on my bench !

No photograph, but the painting job has to be done again, starting from zero ...

Well, let us be philosophical, I get better with the airbrush each time I use it 😏

• Like 1
  • Sad 5