Mercedes 300SL Gullwing 1/24 Tamiya with photoetched detail up set from Hobby Design

30 minutes ago, mchernecki said:

Great job. Those straps look so real. Is that material similar to the covering used on books?

Thanks Mickael :)

Yes, it could be used for covering books, but not only.

Evening and a happy and better new year, gentlemen :)

My first strap is just done, using Aber buckles (1/35 scale, normally intended for soldier's rifles straps).

The prong of the buckle is not long enough, so it's been difficult to get it appearing out of the strap's hole where I've threaded it, despite of all my efforts.

But nethertheless, the result seems convincing, at least in my view.

I hope you''ll enjoy it, because it's been a painful job.

This strap is made of 7 parts: 3 leather strips joined by 2 buckles, and 2 belt loops.

The end strips are longer than needed, in order to install the strap easily on the front and lateral rails

50787657653_dfa09a95e4_b.jpg   50763763761_b30e89d24a_b.jpg

50788461036_8bb2fc1653_b.jpg   50787657598_8e177a9c4c_b.jpg

50787657608_b165103003_b.jpg   50787657548_de54344b59_b.jpg

50788522352_72d386a3dd_b.jpg

Pfuuuuu, it remains one strap to scratch, and then the setting job 🙁 😰

Stay tuned if you like :)

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Pouln said:

Wow, at this scale it must a PIA to get this done. But the buckles are looking great.

Sorry @Pouln,  I think I guess the general meaning of your acronym PIA, but not sure.

Could you precise, please ?

• Haha 1

Evening guys :)

2 straps made:

50797542352_ca6c7f3937_b.jpg

Tomorrow, they will be put in place and the tub will be finished . Wish me luck for this delicate job 😰

Stay tuned if you like 😉

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Good evening Gentlemen :)

Well !.... a new page is turned over today with the completion of the tub.

Despite of some imperfections, particularly on the dash, I'm pretty happy with the result I've got, and I'm proud to share it:

50803547758_06d6584188_h.jpg

50804295031_92e65860ed_h.jpg

50804294791_d21934ff2b_h.jpg

50804294826_b3de30e3af_h.jpg

50804411292_06eb221147_b.jpg   50804300006_a77d0b0f26_b.jpg

50804411342_6f39d08c80_h.jpg

The cases have been attached together with some  "UHU Patafix", and the set has been attaches on the rear shelf with thin double-sided tape :)

It remains to touch up red paint her and there and to paint the left fixture, which is  new one, because the original one broke and I intended to fix the left strap...so, some silver paint to put here with the point of a toothpick :)

And now, the body painting has to be done, another adventure 😰

Stay tuned if you like, and thank you for all your likes, comments and encouragements since the beginning of this build ;)

• Like 9

That looks stunning!

Given the level of detail hidden once the undertray goes on, is there also a floor to the boot in the kit, or is that not included?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul H said:

That looks stunning!

Given the level of detail hidden once the undertray goes on, is there also a floor to the boot in the kit, or is that not included?

No, Paul, no floor for the boot,  and I've not planned to scratch one, because, at the moment, I've neither planned to make the boot openable 🤔

That's fair enough!  It seems a bit odd though that Tamiya didn't include one as they moulded the undertray on the clear sprue so that the spaceframe could be left visible.

6 minutes ago, Paul H said:

That's fair enough!  It seems a bit odd though that Tamiya didn't include one as they moulded the undertray on the clear sprue so that the spaceframe could be left visible.

In reality, the undertray isn't transparent enough: it looks like cathedral glass, so what you can see through it is very blurry 

That's why I've primed it and that I'll paint it light metallic brown, as on the real car.

Probably I'll purchase a second kit, in order to build only its chassis, and will present the whole car and its (enhanced) chassis  side by side, in a showcase with mirror plate for the floor. :)

• Like 2

Good evening Gentlemen :)

Not a big progress tonight , because I've had an issue with the body painting

First of all, I've painted the underbody

As you could see if you visit Brabus website,, the underbody has 2 colors:

- The centre major part is a kind of light metallized brown

- And 2 lateral strips have the same color than the body, so Gravity Colors Daimler Silver for me

50824993143_a7dcf58958_h.jpg

I've tried to reproduce the first one,  mixing Alclad Aluminum ALC-101 and Alclad Exhaust manifold ALC-123

The underbody was primed with AK Grey primer and Micro-filler

I've masked the lateral bands, and sprayed my mixture on the centre. Once dried, I've sprayed  on it Alclad Klear Kote semi-Matt

Then, once removed the masking tape, and let it dry quite 12 hours, I've masked the centre "brown" part, and went on with the lateral bands painting.

Thinking that the  Daimler Silver is a metallic color, I've first sprayed over the lateral bands a wet coat of Tamiya bright black X1.

Once dried, I've sprayed 3 light coats of Daimler Silver, and then a wet coat.

At last, after 3 hours drying, I've sprayed 3 coats of Alcald Klear Kote Gloss.

And the result very good, very similar to the Brabus one:

50825037413_92b05ad69a_h.jpg

It remains to paint black the bolts on the underbody and the likeness will be nearly perfect

Well, where is the problem ?

Once this job done, I've intended to paint the body, the bonnet and the doors with Gravity Color Daimler Silver.

The parts were primed with fine AK grey primer and micro-filler, sanded very smooth...All seemed OK.

This time, I've decided not to spray first a Tamiya X1 coat, thinking that finally, it wasn't necessary...

So, I've sprayed  successively 2 light coats of Daimler Silver over those parts, and then a wetter one........................................

And at this precise moment, I've seen the paint, from place to place, beginning to curl.

In short, there has been a reaction between the Gravity Color and the AK primer, only on some places (I don't understand why not over the whole paint).

Finally, the result was ugly and unacceptable , so, I've decided to strip off all the paint in a good bath of Glanzer.

Very curiously, wherever the paint has curled, after the Glanzer Bath, a strong cleaning with IPA, and ultrasound,   the grey color or the primer remains indelible, and the plastic of the parts has been there slightly melted, and has a grainy aspect !

50825407383_21ed73fa68_b.jpg   50826153231_e7c17264d0_b.jpg

50826248857_3fc5078d91_b.jpg   50826248712_614550d8e4_b.jpg[

50826249252_9235547435_b.jpg

A big sanding job shall be done before priming again the body parts.

This time, I'll use Alclad Grey primer, and I'll spray a Tamiya X1 coat before spraying the silver color.

Have you already encountered this kind of issue ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Sorry to read that you ran into this issue. Lots of work ahead to get a smooth surface, again ready for painting.

There must be  a lot of solvent in the Gravity color.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Pouln said:

Sorry to read that you ran into this issue. Lots of work ahead to get a smooth surface, again ready for painting.

There must be  a lot of solvent in the Gravity color.

I don't think that the problem were due to solvent....

Indeed, the gravity color didn't react at all when I sprayed it over an Acrylic coat of Tamiya X1, as you can see on the underbody

I think that Gravity color reacted with the AK primer which covered the body

Anyways, the body, bonnet and doors are now prepared for the new painting job, and the surface is as smooth as a baby skin...

Stay tuned for the next steps :)

• Like 1

I had not reacted before in the thread, not having followed it too closely although the Mercedes-Benz 300SL is one of my dream cars. And that has always been for me, I remember having a 1/43 specimen when I was a kid. And Tamiya is one of my favourite kit makers too. It's just that I've so much reading going on and the scale 1/24 is something I'm not particularly interested in anymore. It's become a bit too common a scale. 

That said, sometimes I look into this thread and I'm much in awe about what I see. Beautiful detail work, such as the belts... wow. It reminds me so much of your -equally detailed- work on the 1/8 Bugatti. I'm sure I am not the only one who is patiently anticipating / awaiting your return to the Bugatti 50T workshop. That glorious Pocher build with moving gas pedal... beautiful finish... can't wait :) Is there a chance that maybe after this build...? Or after the next? :D 

Meanwhile I wish you luck in solving the paint problem and finalizing this nice model. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

I had not reacted before in the thread, not having followed it too closely although the Mercedes-Benz 300SL is one of my dream cars. And that has always been for me, I remember having a 1/43 specimen when I was a kid. And Tamiya is one of my favourite kit makers too. It's just that I've so much reading going on and the scale 1/24 is something I'm not particularly interested in anymore. It's become a bit too common a scale. 

That said, sometimes I look into this thread and I'm much in awe about what I see. Beautiful detail work, such as the belts... wow. It reminds me so much of your -equally detailed- work on the 1/8 Bugatti. I'm sure I am not the only one who is patiently anticipating / awaiting your return to the Bugatti 50T workshop. That glorious Pocher build with moving gas pedal... beautiful finish... can't wait :) Is there a chance that maybe after this build...? Or after the next? :D 

Meanwhile I wish you luck in solving the paint problem and finalizing this nice model. 

Thanks so much Roy,, for your kind words, much appreciated.

I don't forget my Ladybug, and I don't forget too that it's thank to you that I've had the chance to gather a large collection of reference photographs.

As I've said several times previously, I'm now retired, so, I've much more time to spend for my hobby than before.

A lot of administrative work has still to be done to finish my medical career , but I hope to be totally free on July.

At this time, it will be possible to reorganize my personal office at home, which is  actually used as medical-administrative office (principally )/ and modeling workshop (accessorily ).

The administrative part is going to disappear, or so, and the workshop one is going to increase drastically .

Finally, once that done, I'll have:

- A turning / milling / soldering space 

- A painting space

- A working / assembling space

For such a project like the Bugatti, I need time of course, and above all space, and order( in my workshop, and in my mind)

Meanwhile, I'm going to achieve the  MB300SL and the Delahaye 135 and probably other 1:24 stuffs.

I have to say that, building these little cars, I've learnt and sometimes mastered several techniques, and so increased my skills.

That would be mostly useful for the Bugatti !

• Like 2