Mercedes 300SL Gullwing 1/24 Tamiya with photoetched detail up set from Hobby Design

Instrument light lenses look good.  Shouldn't be too difficult to scrape the flocking off the carpeted areas and the floor, To be absolutely clear, the only portion of the transmission tunnel cover that is carpeted is the front removable portion. The part between the seats that is not removable is covered with leather or vinyl matching the dashboard, and the interior trim. Perhaps also flatten the gloss on the leather/vinyl a notch or two

Edited by ejboyd5

2 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

Instrument light lenses look good.  Shouldn't be too difficult to scrape the flocking off the carpeted areas and the floor, To be absolutely clear, the only portion of the transmission tunnel cover that is carpeted is the front removable portion. The part between the seats that is not removable is covered with leather or vinyl matching the dashboard, and the interior trim. Perhaps also flatten the gloss on the leather/vinyl a notch or two

You're right @ejboyd5 !

Finally, it was easier than I thought to scrape the flocking, because it has been glued with PVA glue, and a little brushing with water has been sufficient.

Better like this ?

50595739412_1436da8247_b.jpg

Well ! now I've to simulate the carpeting on the transmission tunnel and the ribbed rubber mats on the floor.

Any idea of which material I could use to do that for this 1/24 scale ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

You're right @ejboyd5 !

Finally, it was easier than I thought to scrape the flocking, because it has been glued with PVA glue, and a little brushing with water has been sufficient.

Better like this ?

50595739412_1436da8247_b.jpg

Well ! now I've to simulate the carpeting on the transmission tunnel and the ribbed rubber mats on the floor.

Any idea of which material I could use to do that for this 1/24 scale ?

I think I could use very thin adhesive felt, red for the tunnel and rear shelf, and anthracite grey for the floor in front of the seat , hum ?

Not knowing what your mats look like...I am guessing that...like most rubber mats...they have shallow 'channels' in them...which...if using 0.5 mm plasticard...would need to be represented...much like making a fence panel from a flat piece of plastic...you score lines into it to create separate planks.

You can use a blade a micro chisel or similar...to create the grooves between the planks...in your case you would be creating the raised 'ribs'...so would be removing the material in between to make the ribs.

Hope that makes sense mate?

Ron

Much better without the flocking.

Don't get crazy about the ribbing on the floor mats.  On the original, the ribs are 3.25 mm apart and are only 1.5 mm in height, which is hardly noticeable in a 1/24 vehicle.  Any black matte finish should suffice, but if anyone really cares, the ribs run from side to side at a right angle to the direction of travel, Similarly, the square weave of the carpet is very tight and difficult to duplicate in small scale. It should be somewhat rough however to differentiate it from the smooth finish of the seats and the interior leather/vinyl trim.

BTW, first, what color paint did you use for the brake fluid canister lid?  It appears to be spot on. Secondly, I couldn't tell from the pictures of the body shell whether or not the vent openings above the rear window were open to the interior. On production cars these vents were always open with no means of closing.

Edited by ejboyd5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

Much better without the flocking.

Don't get crazy about the ribbing on the floor mats.  On the original, the ribs are 3.25 mm apart and are only 1.5 mm in height, which is hardly noticeable in a 1/24 vehicle.  Any black matte finish should suffice, but if anyone really cares, the ribs run from side to side at a right angle to the direction of travel, Similarly, the square weave of the carpet is very tight and difficult to duplicate in small scale. It should be somewhat rough however to differentiate it from the smooth finish of the seats and the interior leather/vinyl trim.

BTW, first, what color paint did you use for the brake fluid canister lid?  It appears to be spot on. Secondly, I couldn't tell from the pictures of the body shell whether or not the vent openings above the rear window were open to the interior. On production cars these vents were always open with no means of closing.

Thanks so much another time for all those details

I think I could use an extra-thin anthracite grey adhesive velvet for the floor mats, and an extra-thin red felt for the carpeting of tunnel and rear shelf

I've ordered some samples and I'll see if they do the job or not.

Regarding the color of the brake fluid canister lid, I took inspiration, as many modelers, of the left picture below, and painted it blue, as the Tamiya instructions recommend :

50597354668_72096b2976_b.jpg   50597376093_45a0ef8166_b.jpg

My blue is more blue than on the ref. photo, where it seems to be balances between green and blue, but it would be a better of lighting ? your opinion, @ejboyd5 ?

• Like 4

Evening Gentlemen :)

Have put 2 coats of Daimler Silver (Gravity Color GC-208) on my wheels, in order to match with the body color, and taking account of @ejboyd5 comments.

One completely dried, I'll spray 2 coats of gloss clear coat on them, before painting the valves Tamiya X18 black

Actually, it's difficult to notice the difference between this Daimler Silver body color and the polished aluminum which covered the wheels before..The 2 first pics with Daimler Silver before clear coating, and the third one with Alclad Polished Aluminium:

50598496282_f941c89bbb_b.jpg   50598376006_3fd17677f6_b.jpg

50597631958_6d2747bdfb_b.jpg

I've also made some progress on the steering wheel .

I've chosen to use the Hobby Design photo etched parts to modify it, so, hereunder a photo which depicts the actual state of the build:

50597631978_c5aeab4338_b.jpg

Stay tuned if you like, for next steps :)

• Like 9

Hi everyone :)

No progress today on the build itself .

I'm waiting for a complete drying of the wheels before spraying clear :)

BUT, I'm working on the luggage which could be embedded in this mythic car 😉

So, a bit of work with Fusion  360 ,and,  at the moment, I'm stuck at this point:

50602471622_017993d44c_b.jpg   50602354126_b41271c426_b.jpg

50602471652_ff4cfe04e9_b.jpg   50602471662_06e033e4dd_b.jpg

50601612818_ba2ab72301_b.jpg   50602354011_ccf45f4488_b.jpg

To be continued, of course :)

• Like 3

Morning Chaps :)

First suitcase achieved, ready to 3D print (I hope it will fit well on the rear shelf 🙄)

50604338137_b3059b5701_b.jpg16@N05/]   50604338047_89cf6b5361_b.jpg

50604216796_d4ac19c4a6_b.jpg   50603475838_dbc78e347e_b.jpg

50603475853_db156860f4_b.jpg   50602471662_06e033e4dd_b.jpg

50604216871_99dbbe20ab_b.jpg   50602471652_ff4cfe04e9_b.jpg

One more to 3D draw, and then the straps to retain them on the shelf, another challenge 🤔

Stay tuned 😎

• Like 3

Good afternoon guys :)

The value in Fusion 360 is to be able to work with individual objets, named components, which you can reuse later on, "ad libitum"

So the drawing of the little suitcase has been very easy and very quick, as I had already plates, latches, hinges, plates and handle as components.

I just needed to modify the suitcase sketch, giving it a rectangular shape, and then to click on validate ....Miracle, the whole suitcase was done...putting latches, hinges etc in place was then child's play :)

50605566742_0cff91f955_b.jpg   50604701078_fea2b61dde_b.jpg

To be continued...

• Like 2

Good evening gentlemen :)

The wheels, painted the same color than the body (blink of an eye to @ejboyd5 ) have received 3 layers of Alclad Kote Gloss clear, and fortunately, this product hasn't reacted with the Gravity paint, so the Daimler Silver is absolutely unaltered and the shine I got is very good.

The valves has been painted black with the sharpened point of a toothpick, and now, all that stuff has to wait a complete drying (48 hours minimum ) before any handling

50606510527_a30c2bbd52_b.jpg   50605644563_9fe0e9804c_b.jpg

I've to wait the delivery of my orders next week in order to begin the new carpeting of the tub.

This operation must be done before any progress of the inside detailing (levers, seats, suitcases etc...)

Stay tuned if you like :)

• Like 6

Suitcases look good, but perhaps too short. To bad I don't have dimensions readily at hand, but when stacked, the two cases stood well above the tops of the seats Indeed, one case alone was about as high as the sear backs.  Suggest you do a search for 'Gull Wing luggage' for many pictures. 

Sorry, but I miswrote when describing the colors and functions of the lenses for the instrument panel lights  The center light above the speedometer/tachometer is red, but it is the turn signal indicator, not the charging light.  The charging light is also red and is located below and left of the speedometer.  The white light below and to the right of the tachometer indicates when the fuel injection enhancement pull switch is engaged, i.e., the equivalent of a chole for starting. purposes.  After driving mine for 56 years you would think I'd remember what the lights are for. 

As I'm sure you know, the steering wheel you are contemplating us aftermarket.  The original has only two spokes and was made with an ivory colored plastic like other M-B cars of the period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

Suitcases look good, but perhaps too short. To bad I don't have dimensions readily at hand, but when stacked, the two cases stood well above the tops of the seats Indeed, one case alone was about as high as the sear backs.  Suggest you do a search for 'Gull Wing luggage' for many pictures. 

Sorry, but I miswrote when describing the colors and functions of the lenses for the instrument panel lights  The center light above the speedometer/tachometer is red, but it is the turn signal indicator, not the charging light.  The charging light is also red and is located below and left of the speedometer.  The white light below and to the right of the tachometer indicates when the fuel injection enhancement pull switch is engaged, i.e., the equivalent of a chole for starting. purposes.  After driving mine for 56 years you would think I'd remember what the lights are for. 

As I'm sure you know, the steering wheel you are contemplating us aftermarket.  The original has only two spokes and was made with an ivory colored plastic like other M-B cars of the period.

You're probably right for the suitcase, so I increased their thickness from 4 mm to 5 mm at 1:24 scale, so 240 mm for the whole set à 1:1.

Concerning the ligths, I do not understand , so a little sketch would be much appreciated :)

At least, of course I know that the steering wheel is not genuine but aftermarket, and it will be as I want it would be !

Afternoon chaps :)

Not yet received my felt samples for the carpeting, so I've made a bit of progress on ly aftermarket steering wheel .

The PE set has been glued inside the wheel.

The wheel has received already 2 coats of brown primer, has been glued upon the steering column and the steering column on the dash.

So, it just remain to put some touches of dark brown and ochre washes on the wheel to imitate a wooden one, and to clear this stuff once dried.

Meanwhile, some pictures of the dash dry fitted on the tub:

50617161242_090cef3358_c.jpg50616313213_6fbcf3c98c_c.jpg50617161262_1e06339512_c.jpg

50617136077_89074963f6_b.jpg   50616287713_630c89791c_b.jpg

I've also put the tires on the wheels, and glued the nuts on 2 wheels:

50616313198_cc9e2efc76_c.jpg   50617161252_00ba582566_c.jpg

And painted the handbrake lever and the gearshift lever:

50616313128_ed96e061a7_c.jpg   50616313218_bfebdb0034_c.jpg

Time now to achieve the preparation of the body before painting....to be continued :)

• Like 8

Good evening Gentlemen :)

I've received my felt and velvet samples ans so, have achieved tonight the MB 300SL tub carpeting: black for the floor in front of the seats and red for the rear shelf and the front part of the tunnel, as @ejboyd5 advised :)

50630583512_0fbdf22842_b.jpg  50629739308_c2e9a53a3f_b.jpg

50630484241_f44fd69704_b.jpg   50629739258_8227039055_b.jpg

50630484191_ed521cd9dd_b.jpg

Now, it remains to simulate the screws which retain the leather covering of the doorways and to glue the dash and achieve it with the rearview mirror and the courtesy handles at exhaust end of the dash

Stay tuned if you like and thanks for watching 😎

• Like 7

Carpeting and rubber floor mats look spot on, Good choice of materials. I particularly like the edging that separates the carpet from the rest of the transmission tunnel cover - very realistic. .I note there are speakers in the door sills. Do you have a radio to hang underneath the dash board? Also, does the kit supply the thin chrome rails that line the luggage area behind the seats? Handbrake lever was color coordinated to match the headliner - gray with gray headliner, cream with tan headliner. Plan ahead.

9 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

Carpeting and rubber floor mats look spot on, Good choice of materials. I particularly like the edging that separates the carpet from the rest of the transmission tunnel cover - very realistic. .I note there are speakers in the door sills. Do you have a radio to hang underneath the dash board? Also, does the kit supply the thin chrome rails that line the luggage area behind the seats? Handbrake lever was color coordinated to match the headliner - gray with gray headliner, cream with tan headliner. Plan ahead.

Yes, there is speakers, @ejboyd5

Initially, I thought they were ventilation grids !..you know, frenchies 🙄

So, I've planned to add a radio, and, after a short review of the Internet, I've found the "Becker Mexico" radio for MB 300SL Gullwing.

I don't know exactly if this stuff is a genuine part for this car...you probably have an idea about that !

50631587233_000824675f_c.jpg

And I've drawn it with Fusion 360 and it will be 3D printed if you validate the brand and shape:

50632329906_d1944640d5_c.jpg   50632423967_cb0e1f909c_c.jpg

50632423912_0d34c84df5_c.jpg

The kit, obviously, doesn't supply any chrome thin rail to protect the rear shelf from the luggage, but I've planned to try scratching it with a 0,3 mm diameter piano wire, all the difficulty being to find a way to attach it to the tub...I'm thinking about that since yesterday.

At last, the handbrake lever will be painted cream, according to your advice :)

To be continued...

• Like 2