FG-1D, Escuadrilla 2, Esc. Caza Bombardero, FAS, 1969...

From the Suez in 1956 I head to Central America 1969-70, for a bit more Cold War surplus Corsair action. This time one of the El Salvadoran FAS birds from the Football War against Honduras and Nicaragua, FAS-207, an FG-1D.  I'll use the venerable Hasagawa kit for my base and the Printscale decals from their set.

Box art...

50076241681_c2bdb4e551_c_d.jpg

Sprue looks decent.  OK details and clean moulds...It looks very similar to the Heller/SMER kit in layout, but of higher quality.

50076241911_385f48ac74_c_d.jpg

And the profile.  I like the FAS logo over the poorly painted out USA markings, plus the multi-coloured nature of the overall paint job.  It should present as a striking finish.  Regarding weathering...these Corsairs were on their last legs.  'Tatty' comes to mind, as does 'worn out'.  This time I'll be sure to add the layer of primer as well as chipped down to the metal.

Wikipedia has some interesting and unsubstantiated 'facts' about the Football War and the Corsairs.  Worth a quick read and perhaps a better follow-up!  More romantic mercenarianism...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_F4U_Corsair#"Football_War"

50076493792_2c8786234d_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

I thought it best to get this going lest it disappear beneath the Russian behemoth...

From what I have learned here:  the red primer was fazed out in 1943.  Switched to yellow zinc oxide primer forever more, except for the cockpits which were interior green and the wheels wells which received a final coat of light grey over the yellow zinc.  Right?  Is this true for the F4U-1D in El Salvador?

50090938806_b9c5551f5f_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I thought it best to get this going lest it disappear beneath the Russian behemoth...

From what I have learned here:  the red primer was fazed out in 1943.  Switched to yellow zinc oxide primer forever more, except for the cockpits which were interior green and the wheels wells which received a final coat of light grey over the yellow zinc.  Right?  Is this true for the F4U-1D in El Salvador?

50090938806_b9c5551f5f_c_d.jpg

--John

Yes only the early birdcage corsairs would/should have the Salmon primer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

not to mention your modelling bench!

No doubt!  And now that I am at a certain stage, I will set the Beast aside for a few days and work on the Corsair.  Thanks!

• Like 2

A bit of SOP here...Chromium Zinc Oxide Green interior...nice little decals for the IP and arm rests...I might add some tape harness later before I close it up.

No issues with fit.  It's a tried-and-true Hasagawa kit.

50097449952_909d0147d1_c_d.jpg

50097216266_e846f10e60_c_d.jpg

Figured I'd get the wings together while I was at it.  Clean fit again.

50097216436_bed68a528a_c_d.jpg

Most of the interesting and time consuming work will be the paint job.  The kit itself is quite basic...well engineered, but no frills.

--John

• Like 4

Thanks Craig.  It is.  Certainly a nice change from the Mil-10...

Meanwhile, back on bench...this was no problem.

50098198132_a1f982c7f8_c_d.jpg

Ooops! Famous last words...it's a clean break and will be an easy fix at the end of the build.

50097390808_219afe413e_c_d.jpg

There were some very noticeable and ugly sink marks on the landing gear doors--and the tires.  They needed some filling.  The tires, btw, are very nicely detailed.

50098198182_69cd01ef8e_c_d.jpg

And so...

50097973086_9ca492d0f1_c_d.jpg

Here I am right now.  It's a quick build for sure.  Some very narrow gaps in the wing root--easy-peasy.  I think I will get the engine cowling on tomorrow and give it a coat of aluminum or silver and let that set well.  I'll get back to the Mil-10 then...

50098198032_37c3c83c26_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

I feel better already...phew!  Thank the gods of modelling for a kit that satisfies and builds up!

Cowl is on...anti-glare is painted, headrest is a suitable red leather...

50115861283_76e776aac5_c_d.jpg

I have painted the wheels aluminum, as instructed,  I can always change that.  I do like the tread detail.  Seems pretty good for such a basic kit.

50116432696_6a0a8b413d_c_d.jpg

And the propeller is finished.  A very satisfying 45 minutes there...

50115861438_20e1248e78_c_d.jpg

I'll get the canopy masked and attached this evening and prime the aircraft tomorrow.  

In other news, C-19 cases are rising here in Greece and, as of today, the local clinic has announced our very first Covid-19 case.  We have been extraordinarily lucky so far, but with the onslaught of tourism, regardless of how restricted it has been, our little island of Paros reluctantly enters the fray!  Crossed fingers folks, crossed fingers...

--John

• Like 3

John your Corsair is looking excellent, really nice work.

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

In other news, C-19 cases are rising here in Greece and, as of today, the local clinic has announced our very first Covid-19 case.  We have been extraordinarily lucky so far, but with the onslaught of tourism, regardless of how restricted it has been, our little island of Paros reluctantly enters the fray!  Crossed fingers folks, crossed fingers...

I have to say that this is hardly surprising unfortunately, with countries governments desperate to get economies going again by relaxing travel bans there was always going to be an increase in covid cases in the places they are visiting. Its happening over here in pockets now that the rules have been relaxed so I can only imagine what the result will be in places such as Paros and other Tourist destinations.

Look after yourself John and take every precaution you can, the best one of course being to stay inside and build models!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

take every precaution you can, the best one of course being to stay inside and build models!

Thankfully I am an introvert and sometime misanthrope to begin wth so isolation is not an issue!  

Plenty to choose from in the stash!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Canopy masked and attached...no choice for anything other than closed glass.  That's alright.

Aircraft primed and ready for some NMF--before the yellow primer...nary a gap to be seen!  What joy!

50122317617_b4b1e0c5fd_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

Hi John!

What a great choice :). I love the FAS machines and have a Tamiya waiting In the wings For when I have the time! She’ll either be camo Soccer War or an early white machine..... One day!

Martin

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 7:14 PM, John Masters said:

I’m sorry and saddened to hear it, John. My personal view is this relaxing of lockdowns is far too early but, of course, the economy has to be considered too. 

Martin

On 08/07/2020 at 17:50, John Masters said:

John,

Great choice of subject, I have the DC Casper sheet with this and many other options on it (including Mustangs, Trojans and Harvard/Texans).

Pretty sure the main landing gear undercarriage bays are painted the same colour as the underside so in this case, Gloss Sea Blue.

It's also worth remembering if the exterior is worn, the cockpit will be likewise.

You're going great guns good luck with it.

Sorry to hear of the increase in Covid-19 cases, staying at home and doing some modelling seems a sound way of avoiding it.

48 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

She’ll either be camo Soccer War or an early white machine..... One day!

Both are striking.

45 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

this relaxing of lockdowns is far too early

Yes...I fear a Dark Calculus in play...acceptable infection/fatality rate vs. economic stability...but this is not the forum for such talk.

37 minutes ago, Wez said:

Pretty sure the main landing gear undercarriage bays are painted the same colour as the underside so in this case, Gloss Sea Blue.

It's also worth remembering if the exterior is worn, the cockpit will be likewise.

Right.  Got it.  Just finished with the NMF layer and the primer layer.  The undercarriage will be the blue, but chipped and worn in places.  Hairspray is next. 😉

A little NMF in the spots where it will be needed...

50129320297_26abdf6ffc_c_d.jpg

Then airbrushed the Yellow Primer.  Vallejo Air 71.107 'Interior Yellow' is awfully nice...once again, where I'll need it.  The underside got some too.

50128531208_f932d174e5_c_d.jpg

And the incidentals.  Even though they will all be Sea Blue eventually...

50128531148_f06f2afe5b_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 1

I'l be painting this in segments.  The decal profile for is good, however, on some photos I have seen FAS-207 has yellow wingtips.  I might go with those instead of the Intermediate Blue.  All the other colour notes are my own.  I think I'll do the white pieces first, then mask them and do the yellow pieces, mask again.  Then the Silver-grey areas--again more masks, and then finally the Dark Sea Blue.  It will be a semi-gloss.  In none of the images I have seen is this aircraft shiny in any sense of the word.  Dull blue, washed out and worn is more accurate.  And what's up with the bit I have with an arrow?  Is that sunshine glare or is that forward piece of the undercarriage flap yellow?

Also...there are no markings of any sort on the upside of the wings.

50130196142_780ba9226f_c_d.jpg

These images I found online.  I have no idea of the providence nor do I assume they belong to anyone.

50130006881_7bf21581d6_o_d.jpg

50130228432_2472b241da_o_d.png

--John

• Like 1