Flying Monster of Afghanistan...Amodel Soviet Mil Mi-10, 1980s...

A smart thing was to take some time off from this.  It's so daunting...Now I am refreshed and invigorated!

I have painted and flory washed the rotor bits...I'll spend some time cleaning them up later.

50155142257_dcd9479abb_c_d.jpg

The big news...the paint is on!  I think the Pale Grey Blue looks very nice.

50155142482_a1aeebc02c_c_d.jpg

50154353133_fb94b9dfc6_c_d.jpg

I have to use a hairy brush on the wheel hubs...paint and detail the load platform...attach the loading platform...decal and weather...I might decal and weather first, then add the finished platform.  I have enough vehicles but that I can make a good show of it until the T-55 is built!  

--John

• Like 10

Made some important headway here.  It may stemlike small stuff, but it's not.

Wheels are done; tail rotor is ready.

50159956816_e64a5ca4e2_c_d.jpg

Main rotor motor done and atop the beast...

50160202232_d8f98aed84_k_d.jpg

The giant thing is, for the most part, done.  The wheels,  fuel pods,  cargo platform, decals...not much weathering for the fuselage.  Some smoke...

50159406933_6b5821bcdc_c_d.jpg

Fuel pod assembly has begun!

50160202052_46dcb20714_c_d.jpg

I will finish this thing, breathe a sigh of relief, and build a smaller model next!  😁

--John

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

That looks good john, big, but very good 

Thanks Hewy.  Yes.  Biggest model have ever made.

However, once again, I seem have managed to get a piece of kabuki tape stuck on the inside of the cockpit window.

• Like 1

Brilliant work John. Getting all four legs to touch the ground is a big achievement!

As o remember it attaching the cargo platform was pretty tricky. I think doing something to hold the platform in place - ideally making a jig - is essential. Otherwise you need about six hands!

On 7/25/2020 at 9:00 AM, John Masters said:

Looking at this for the colour...

Pale Grey Blue.  I'll thin this all down really well with Ajax.

50150597808_1c3b410318_c_d.jpg

--John

With Ajax? 

Are you thinning it because you're going to airbrush it?

7 hours ago, zebra said:

ideally making a jig

My thoughts too...the platform is somewhat suspended....

5 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Are you thinning it because you're going to airbrush it?

Yes.  It works great.  Ajax Red Top.  This bottle of paint is just the Vallejo Model Paint.  It's not airbrush standard by any means.

Hand painting this model would take hours.

7 hours ago, Jur said:

It is really coming together now

Thanks Jur.  Yes...what light there is informs me I am in a tunnel.

8 hours ago, halcyonjet said:

the whole model is looking great.

Thank you Dave.  

9 hours ago, Hewy said:

flippin eck

I might have to perform surgery...

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

definitely like something from Space 1999!

Doesn't it?

• Like 2

Hi John

I have removed tape and othersuch from inside a canopy by drilling 0,35 mm hole through the frame and pokeing the tape into the cockpit with a thin bit of Albion Alloy wire. The loose bit usually disappears into the cockpit.

regards Toby

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Planebuilder62 said:

I have removed tape and othersuch from inside a canopy by drilling 0,35 mm hole through the frame and pokeing the tape into the cockpit with a thin bit of Albion Alloy wire. The loose bit usually disappears into the cockpit.

I was thinking of drilling but your solution is less invasive...general anesthetic only!

I'l try it.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Looks great John, you've made a super job of this. The Ajax red top thing, I've a heap of model colour but only brush them, any chance of a link to exactly what you're talking about, I'd be keen to play with airbrushing them for large areas.

Steve.

38 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Here you go...I am sure you have the same thing in NZ, but in English, not Greek! 

Thanks John, I'll check that out.

Steve.

Later, seems that the only Ajax glass cleaner we have is Spray & Wipe in a spray bottle. Something in the back of my mind says this is also used as a acrylic paint thinner. Must try some. :)

36 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

though she does look like she has come in for a bit of 0.5" attention from some angry locals.

Excellent!  That solves that issue then...😆

I have attached the platform.  Thank the gods for CA...the attachment points are not vague so much as ineffectual, so CA, then afterwards some real glue to hopefully weld these persnickety struts in place.  I had to use a flashlight aimed at the legs to get it mostly correct.  I did use a support beneath to hold it still.  

The space beneath the platform is about 4mm so I think I will add some 'unseen' supports on the bottom so it doesn't just hang there.  It'll be more secure that way.  It really didn't take that long.  

50165720653_42aef05d56_c_d.jpg

50165720873_7bbf040da1_c_d.jpg

Et voila!  There are some smaller strut pieces that assist in the front.  I'll get them on tonight.  Then attach the fuel pods.  I actually have a fair amount left to do...but it is oh, so close!

50166256926_725a798332_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8