Flying Monster of Afghanistan...Amodel Soviet Mil Mi-10, 1980s...

6 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Fantastic work so far

Thanks DF...

It's piecemeal these days...here is the primary cargo platform section...

50111908836_00db5ff90b_c_d.jpg

And together with the smaller pieces that attach to its sides.  It's not finished by any means.  there are a trio of wheels that also attach.  I will prime, paint and weather it first before I do any of that!

50111337718_d8afbcd544_c_d.jpg

I wanted to attach all of these hand holds and railings but I think I will fill in some more seams first, then attach the little thin spindly things.

50111908446_c9563066d7_k_d.jpg

50111337758_e00dcf6ca9_c_d.jpg

So I jumped in the tail rotor.  Parts 85, the small little plastic bits, are 3mm long and not worth cutting off the sprue.  Easier to cut new ones.

50112144717_4830b195b0_c_d.jpg

50111908631_7dc4879aab_c_d.jpg

50111908626_283f170048_c_d.jpg

Et voila!  There is the tail rotor and its gearbox...  

50111908576_0617980bea_c_d.jpg

So I figured I might as well try to do the main rotor assembly.  For now, just section 30.  

50112144932_9606af9108_c_d.jpg

50111908511_3a2fb6021b_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

any idea of the rotor circumference size ,  ,got to be around 380 mm -400 I'd  guess

Ok...so  C=π x d

Let's say our rotor sweep is 50cm in diameter...which, for the most part, it is.  

50112965496_20af48e73d_c_d.jpg

Two things come to mind: A) it will not fit in any cabinet I currently own.  

B) I should probably build it with the ability to remove some, or all, of the blades thus allowing it to fit.   

back to 1st year Algebra...

π x 50cm = 157.07 cm  

Is that right?  My maths were never that great...

Imagine if it were 1/35th or 1/48th?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Finished the big rotor assembly.  11 pieces in total, a small kit in itself.  Good detail too.  I think it will look very nice once it is painted and oiled up.

50116186562_b67ac2658b_c_d.jpg

50116186627_87b2c00d50_c_d.jpg

I attached all the handrails and so forth.  Not so difficult, just time consuming.  It'll look better once the new primer is on...

50115392988_f2d438c10e_c_d.jpg

50115962861_763fb3937c_c_d.jpg

And I almost forgot to address the weight issue.  This is a tail heavy beast, so I had to go back and add weight to the nose.  Luckily the bathtub beneath the cockpit is hollow!  I carefully removed it, filled it with Liquid Gravity and also threw a 5gm fishing weight into the fuselage.  I think it will be alright now.

50115962681_ba78a8f73d_c_d.jpg

I need to set this aside and build something else for a week or so.  It really taxes my emotions.  Just when I think I am ready for something new, something else pops up.

--John

• Like 15

16 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I need to set this aside and build something else for a week or so.  It really taxes my emotions.

I don't blame you John.

You've been working very hard on your monster and doing a great job on it too so taking a break to restore the mojo for this one is a great idea, you know that we will all be here waiting for you when you are able to carry on with her.

And that rotorhead is a work of art, very nice.

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

And that rotorhead is a work of art, very nice.

Ditto.

It will look fabulous with some paint on it and a wash to bring out the detail.

AW

• Like 1

What an impressive kit this is, and you are doing a great job on it John! Back in my youth I built a Sikorsky Skycrane (I believe it is called), might have been a Revell kit? A similar chopper but I think a size or two smaller. Still big though and it came with a container-ish thing slung underneath that looked like a mobile home. Good fun. Will you be adding a load to this one?

27 minutes ago, Jur said:

Good fun. Will you be adding a load to this one?

Thanks Jur...yes....some Soviet vehicles...a truck and a tracked vehicle of some sort.  

I have taken a short break because it has been taking up space on the bench and, for some reason, in my mind as well.  I'll get some primer on it and wrap it up in the next two weeks...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Many years ago I got the chance to look around a Mil 26. Amazingly huge engineering. The Hind was impressive too. 

I can't help but wonder how the crew get into your beastie. Perhaps they're airlifted in via a Mil 2.

'I need to set this aside and build something else for a week or so. Just when I think I am ready for something new, something else pops up.'

It's not just me then!!!

I soooooooo want to build one of these and I am so scared of the commitment.  Please don't give up (unless you want to) so I can live my desire through your build.

21 hours ago, John Masters said:

some Soviet vehicles...a truck and a tracked vehicle of some sort

I reckon you should pretty much get a whole armoured division underneath,    it's looking great john 👍

• Haha 1